$99 Topping D30 ( DSD ) DAC + A30

Someone mentioned their computer not going into sleep mode when the D30 is connected. Mine does that too... weird..

Someone mentioned their computer not going into sleep mode when the D30 is connected. Mine does that too... weird..

I don't think its uncommon for sleep modes not to work, my iPhone and iPad do not go into sleep mode if I start a Spotify session with either of them, and friends experiencing are the same issues with there stuff. This is total speculation on my part but.

I was a happy user of a D30 for months now. My source is a Raspberry Pi running Runeaudio build. This is connected to the D30 through USB. After months of running fine it started acting up lately. Sometimes I get a static high pitch noise and no more sound at the beginning of a song. Then the Runeaudio software would not play anything. Switching the audio output interface in the software to Raspberry's own HDMI or analog shows that the song is playing (I can't hear it as I have not connected those outputs to anything). Changing songs would not produce music on the output of the DAC. The only thing that would solve the problem is turning off the D30 and turn it back on so it tells me that the D30 is the problem. But I did not change any setting or any component in the system in the last few months so it is odd... Does this sound like a software (Runeaudio or Raspberry build) or a hardware issue (D30) to you?

Does the “unlock” light turn on when it does this? It would be orange I think to the right of the blue power light.

Is anyone finding theirs a bit light on bass? I run it from my MacBook pro - coud it be an itunes EQ issue?

If I switch over to the TV for watching netflicks - seems to be a lot bassier on that input. Could depend on the TV EQ of course.

Im running into an Accuphase C200 and P300 and using Kef 104.2's.

It’s funny you say this, bass is the first thing I noticed, especially the kick drum. It’s like it has its own space now, surrounded my air, with a clear beginning and end. It’s like my audio was given depth.

Quick question, any audible difference between an optical cable coming from a Chromecast Audio and a USB cable coming from a MacBook Pro in terms of sound quality?

Last edited:
The OP, in that first part, is NOT some random person. He has a EE degree and worked in a variety of areas including being a VP at MS. HE IS NOT SOME RANDOM GUY.

Thanks, the guys that are questioning it are “Sheldon” type EE’s so who knows.

Like I said I haven’t really looked, it has just been questioned by EE’s I let know about the site.

He has put a link to HIS BACKGROUND. Have you read it? I have. He is still in the multimedia/digital area. Jes saying. He also owns audiosciencerreview.com

Not doubting you guys have done your due diligence. Just saying I passed it along without doing mine and was called out on the site by EE’s. I can own a website named anything I want. I also put a lot weight in people’s opinions on here, you and Eric being 2 of them.
The 2 EE’s in question are very very Sheldon like to put it nicely, I can so see it just being one little thing they found wrong so now the world is ending.

:beerchug:

He has put a link to HIS BACKGROUND. Have you read it? I have. He is still in the multimedia/digital area. Jes saying. He also owns audiosciencerreview.com

I should do that, maybe some people will not tell me there is no way I saw what I saw and digital signals don’t do that etc when I see it every signal day at work. :naughty:

So what if they are 'Sheldon-like'? To me that just means narrow-minded and arrogant. I worked under a person like that, during my postdoctoral work and I proved him wrong, multiple times, but he was to arrogant to admit it. It was a real pain working for him.

These guys are aren't like that at all, they are shit hot EE's!! and very down to earth!, they are Sheldon like in that they are probably 2 of the smartest people I have ever known in my 52yrs. But they do get distracted by shiny objects

Well, I have worked with Sheldon's all my professional career. If they weren't stepping on you, to get ahead, they tried to blame you for their mistakes. I have known a lot of smart people, lately just prefer personable.
They are very personable, they are also my preferred drinking buddies when we are on the road working.and they aren’t like that. Thats why I hold their opinions in high regard, if they where asshats I would not of mentioned it.

Last edited:
I read through the thread. I have a few questions. Will the D-30 work with Windows 10, or do you have to install drivers? I just received a Modi MB. Thinking about sending it back. The D-30 sounds like a better deal.

I read through the thread. I have a few questions. Will the D-30 work with Windows 10, or do you have to install drivers? I just received a Modi MB. Thinking about sending it back. The D-30 sounds like a better deal.

I actually went to the Topping website thinking I’d need a driver for my Mac and it clearly said Macs “needn’t a driver” but windows machines do and they provide links for downloads.

www.tpdz.net

just recently got a d30 as a christmas gift. sent back an fx audio dac x6 that i was trying out as a "get me over" type solution. also recently found a rotel rcd-965bx to use as a transport.
definitely a huge difference with the d30. the x6 i was happy with and couldn't really say it was doing anything wrong, but it was just astonishing how many more levels of detail were revealed when switching to the d30. i was also amazed how much better the sound was when i got the rotel. i had been using the coax digital audio out of my cheapo samsung blu-ray.
even with the x6 the sound improved with (i resume) a cleaner digital source. and with the d30--as the late dick enberg would say, "oh my".....
AK has been a great resource to help find this DAC. probably wouldn't have been on my wishlist w/o the great testimonials and links I found here.

now if anybody has a line on a rr-901 remote or knows something compatible, my system will be complete.

Back
Top Bottom