1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

$99 Topping D30 ( DSD ) DAC + A30

Discussion in 'DACs' started by Poultrygeist, Jul 4, 2017.

1. GChief

GChief AK Subscriber Subscriber

These guys are aren't like that at all, they are shit hot EE's!! and very down to earth!, they are Sheldon like in that they are probably 2 of the smartest people I have ever known in my 52yrs. But they do get distracted by shiny objects

Please register to disable this ad.

2. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Well, I have worked with Sheldon's all my professional career. If they weren't stepping on you, to get ahead, they tried to blame you for their mistakes. I have known a lot of smart people, lately just prefer personable people. You know the types, one to have a beer and chill with.

rogerfederer and GChief like this.
  3. GChief

GChief AK Subscriber Subscriber

They are very personable, they are also my preferred drinking buddies when we are on the road working.and they aren’t like that. Thats why I hold their opinions in high regard, if they where asshats I would not of mentioned it.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  4. jozeppy26

jozeppy26 Active Member

The Big Bang Theory is a god awful show perhaps best illustrating our culture’s deterioration of intelligent humor.

bigx5murf likes this.
  5. botrytis

Actually, our society making intelligent people look like mal-adjusted teenagers. While it is funny, at times, I find the constant battle between engineers and scientist, so not true. Just more stereo-types to last forever.

GChief likes this.
  6. opa1

opa1 Tenacious

I read through the thread. I have a few questions. Will the D-30 work with Windows 10, or do you have to install drivers? I just received a Modi MB. Thinking about sending it back. The D-30 sounds like a better deal.

7. jozeppy26

jozeppy26 Active Member

I actually went to the Topping website thinking I’d need a driver for my Mac and it clearly said Macs “needn’t a driver” but windows machines do and they provide links for downloads.

www.tpdz.net

E.Auer likes this.
  8. opa1

opa1 Tenacious

Thanks! I'll check it out.

9. botrytis

Just use the WASAPI driver in Win 10 and you will be surprised. ASIO drivers were a work around. Also the last update to Win10, the creators edition has the better USB 2.0 drivers in it. It really helps.

10. phosgene

phosgene New Member

just recently got a d30 as a christmas gift. sent back an fx audio dac x6 that i was trying out as a "get me over" type solution. also recently found a rotel rcd-965bx to use as a transport.
    definitely a huge difference with the d30. the x6 i was happy with and couldn't really say it was doing anything wrong, but it was just astonishing how many more levels of detail were revealed when switching to the d30. i was also amazed how much better the sound was when i got the rotel. i had been using the coax digital audio out of my cheapo samsung blu-ray.
    even with the x6 the sound improved with (i resume) a cleaner digital source. and with the d30--as the late dick enberg would say, "oh my".....
    AK has been a great resource to help find this DAC. probably wouldn't have been on my wishlist w/o the great testimonials and links I found here.

now if anybody has a line on a rr-901 remote or knows something compatible, my system will be complete.

11. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Lunatic Member

I think we've all saved some money vs what might have been spent on pricier DAC's that don't sound any better. Glad I started this thread.

opa1 likes this.

12. opa1

opa1 Tenacious

Ordered the D-30 today!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  13. botrytis

Some of the more expensive DACs do sound better. The cheaper ones are just the onramp onto better equipment.

14. E.Auer

E.Auer Super Member

The Topping D30 Is the offramp on the way to the rabbit hole.

Clean reference uncolored sound for not much coin. Made from quality components.
    Proof that a DAC can sound great and be affordable. No snake oil.

Eric

15. botrytis

I have an SMSL M8 and an iFi Nano as well as a new TEAC UD-501. Both are decent but the new TEAC does things better. It has to do with better USB controller and better power in general. the TEAC just sounds better balanced over all, in my system. No snake oil here at all.

GChief likes this.
  16. E.Auer

E.Auer Super Member

That's all that matters.

Eric

17. rogerfederer

rogerfederer AK Subscriber Subscriber

just ordered one. maybe it will bump my venerable dacmagic...

E.Auer and opa1 like this.
  18. Nixxuz

Nixxuz AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm torn between the D30 and SMSL Sanskrit. I'd probably go for the D30 if I knew FOR SURE that it would work with Android. It kind of sucks, because I know the Sanskrit will for sure, but the Topping has a lot more info and reviews from more trustworthy sources.

Actually, there is ONE thing I've found on Amazon stating the D30 doesn't work on Android.

19. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Lunatic Member

FWIW I read on another forum that some of the eBay D30's may use a different board than the original Topping board.

I do believe the massdrop D30 is the real McCoy.

E.Auer likes this.
  20. opa1

opa1 Tenacious

How will I know if its real or Memorex? :) I ordered from amazon. Guess I'll have to take the cover off and look?

Donal64 likes this.