A little Emit K troubleshooting help needed.

tygr

Audiophoole
So I've almost got my $45 7 Kappas working. One of the Emits seems to work outside of the speaker with a full range signal fed to it. It does NOT seem to work when wired into the speaker though. Could it be the L pad? I'm now a little over my head.

Feed a pink noise signal to the speaker and trace backward from the tweeter through the crossover with a voltmeter.

Last edited:
Look kids, I'm still trying to figure out how to get the crossovers out or at least accessible. Can anyone offer a little help in that endeavor?

Start out by having someone rotate the midrange L-pad while you listen to the speaker - if it goes in and out then you have a dirty L-pad. That's the easiest thing to check, after that you're going to have to start disassembling.

The Midrange(?) L pad?
there should be two knobs on the back panel where wires from amp attach to the speaker. both should be labeedl , read label and turn the one labeled midrage back and forth. if sound returns the the control (also called led l-pad) R3 in in diagram in post # 3

The l-pad It's the resister symbol thingie with the 5 ohm/5W that's right before the tweeter on the schematic. The "fuse" is the "poly switch" I think, and if so it's sandwiched in the circuit board assembly, the l-pad(s) may be as well.
To access the crossover you may need to remove the woofer, the crossover board MIGHT be either glued and/or screwed in place. I see them for sale all the time on ebay so they can't be that hard to remove.

I had a problem with one of my Infinitesimals, even though I knew the EMITs were good one had lower high range output than the other. I even put a note on the back of it saying so. Maybe it was not functioning but it's so close to the mid/woofer I thought it was, and my hearing does fall off above about 10Khz.
Not sure why I took it (the Infinitesimal) apart but I pulled the EMIT a month or so ago, cleaned the push on connectors from the crossover where they push on to the EMIT and just like that output was restored. I used a gummy putty like substance where the leads from the crossover pass through the faceplate, maybe some of that gummy substance was keeping it from making a good connection. Or possibly it was dirty/corroded or just not making good contact.

Yes, sorry, I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that. Of course you should try turning the EMIT L-pad back and forth while listening to the tweeter.

Haha, no harm, no foul. Thanks all, for the advice.

The L-pad isn't changing anything. When the tweeter is wired in place, it just does not play. I've purchased another "known good" pair of x-overs for pretty cheap so I'm just just gonna' wing it and go from there.

The Polydomes are in their own sub-enclosures and their wires are glued in place to prevent air from escaping. Rather than trying to remove those wires, I'd cut them midway between the subenclosure and the crossover, then crimp or solder the new crossover wires in. There's nothing to be gained by replacing the old wires.

The new crossover arrived yesterday. Installed this morning. It works!

I didn't solder anything...sue me.

Just an update for anyone who reads this far down. My Kappa 7s are definitely beat up from the feet up. But they now sound like a million bucks!

As with my 3Bs, these things are bass happy and the tall treble is just so smooth...hell, even the fake mids I installed sound very good with the L-pad adjustment there.

Great speakers from Infinity.

Back
Top Bottom