A question about NERO

George R

:grnbounce Hey All:beer:

I'm still somewhat of a rookie at burning CDs, so bear with me.:ntwrthy:

How do I, (or CAN I) label the title tracks prior to burning so that they display when reading from the CD? :dunno:

Currently, I get "Unknown Artist.cda" , for every track.

I'm using the lastest NERO w/all available updates.

Am I just missing something, or is this not possible to do?

Thanks in advance.:wave:

George

George,

Not sure exactly how you're getting your ".cda" files, but the bottom line is "just rename the files."

I usually use some other program (like the freeware CDEX) to rip CD tracks as .WAV files. That program will look up the names in the cddb database or similar, and name the files accordingly. If not, I just rename them accordingly.

At any rate, if you've got the tracks as separate files on your hard drive, name them, like this:

Artist - Song Title.cda

Then, when you drag those into Nero, it'll use those names for the tracks, and a CD-Text capable CD player ought to read those titles.

I hope this helps -- good luck!

Hey thoots,

I'll try renaming the .wav files to .cda before burning. Currently, when I select files to burn, I simply drag and drop the .wav fils, then write to disc. Thus, the trcks go like this: 01xxxxxx.wav, 02xxxxxx.wav, and so forth. When the disc is done, if I play it back (Winamp usually), the tracks are listed 01Unknown Artist.cda. 02Unknown Artist.cda, etc. Same results if I play them on my DVD/CD player.

I'm sure I'll discover lots of tricks as I get more familiar with NERO and CD burning in general. Other than this "Unknown Artist problem, I've been turning out some really nice sounding CDs.

I appreciate any other tips you (or anyone from the crew) can give on the "art" of CD burning. Thanks again.

George

Just to go slightly OT here, does NERO work with Windows XP? I can't get Roxio Easy CD Creator to work at all. Th esystem built into XP os OK, but it doesn't so a few things that Roxio does, like let you record without the two second gap between the tracks or intervace with my labeling program.

George,

It doesn't matter if they have .CDA or .WAV extensions -- rename the FILES, not the EXTENSIONS.

Beatles - Let It Be.wav
Beatles - Get Back.wav

And so on!

Hey thoots,

This is how the first three tracks read in the Compilation window and in the Playlist window of Winamp (read from hard drive)

01Oakland Stroke.wav
02Don't Change Horses (In the Middle of a Stream).wav
03Just When We Start Makin' It.wav

This is how the first three tracks read in the Playlist window of Winamp (read from audio disc)

1. Unknown Artist-Track 1
2. Unknown Artist-Track 2
3. Unknown Artist-Track 3

This is how the first three tracks look when read from D: DRIVE in Windows Explorer

track1.cda
track2.cda
track3.cda

When I right click on a file in the Compilation Window and click Properties, the file name appears correctly, i.e. 01Oakland Stroke.

I have the "write text on CD", box checked any where I see it. LOL

So dop I have :grnbounce Gremlins in my software, or am I just missing some piece of the puzzle :saywhat: ?

I really likle NERO and it gets along quite nicely with XP, and I won't stop using it if I don't figure this out. But it sure BUGS the beans outta me!!

:D Happy Listening:cool:

George

George,

Oh, I think I know what's messing you up. You are looking at your CD in the "D Drive," which is your CD-ROM drive. I am talking about ripping the files to your hard drive, saving them on your "C Drive," and then renaming them. In other words, no Winamp, no compilation window, no Nero -- just files on your hard drive. Most "CD Ripper" software will actually hook up to a CD database, and name these files for you.

Heck, won't Winamp or Nero even do that for you? If not, just download and use a free program, CDEX:

http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2140-9471595.html?tag=lst-0-2

There are a bunch of "CD Rippers," and this may or not be preferred by anyone, but it'll most certainly get the job done.

And, I always recommend getting your files ripped onto your hard drive, then pulling those files into Nero to record CD's from. As opposed to just grabbing them and burning them right off of a CD, known as doing it "on the fly."

I hope this helps -- good luck!

OK, this may not be 100 percent accurate, but I think it works something like this:

When you burn a pure audio CDR the file system on the disc does not look like it does on a CDR with data (which could be Word documents, pictures, audio files or whatever). The specifications for audio CDs were made around 1980 when the IBM PC hadn't yet seen the light of day, and thus the files on such a disc cannot be read as the pure wav-files on the hard drive. (I also suspect that the original specifications did not contain the CD-text option, which allows saving track titles on an audio CD). Therefore the track titles will never be displayed in Windows, only the 'track x.cda' files. BUT, given that you choose the option of writing CD-text in NERO, the track titles will be displayed in a correctly configured software player (don't know if Winamp can handle it, but I think so).

Hope this will clear up things.

Back
Top Bottom