A quick word on the SX-737

lowredmoon

My dad grabbed an SX-737 at an auction and sold it to me at a price too low to quote.
I've been through almost a dozen 70s Pioneer amps and receivers, and this one is my clear favorite. It's still all original. The sound is smooth, lively, and clean. The tone is clear from bottom to top. The sound is very satisfying and pleasant - whole and warm, but clean and tight. It compares very well in subjective terms to my MAC1900. I haven't measured it yet, but it my ears believe that its signal to noise ratio is better than its published specs. Ah - and the phono section is very good as well!
I just wanted to share my experience with it. Have fun and take care!

Adam

Last edited:
I’ll agree with you on this. I picked one up for $40 while doing a complete rebuild on an sx-828 and the 828 is still in the closet over a year later. The 737 is still completely original and it’ll stay until it shows any issues.

My 737 damned near outperforms my 939 in most all catagories except total watts but it's closer than what PIONEER spec'ed for both. 43wpc on the 737 both channels driven 20-20000Hz into 8ohms. Total distortion is below spec @ 0.2%(spec is 0.5%)..While the 939 is 75wpc both driven into 8ohms from 20-20000Hz with THD of 0.09%(spec is 0.3%). Plus the 737 has that Recording selector which lets you listen to one thing while recording another. I'd call it the Best Bang for the Buck receiver PIONEER made in the 70's. Both have been totally rehabilitated, new resistors, caps, transistors, diodes, relay, output transistors (mj21193g & mj21194G). And they both get daily use.

Always loved that one, it really hits the “sweet spot” in the SX-x3x lineup. It doesn’t have the PITA row of black buttons like the 838 on up yet it has a very flexible layout and plenty of power for most applications. The one thing they could have done to improve it would’ve been to add pre-out / main in jacks but that’s not really a big deal. One of my favs, I’ve got one that I completely restored and another one waiting for the bench to clear.

I have one of these also but haven't used it in several years now. I do remember it sounding very nice though. I'll have to get it out and play it some more to see if it is as good as I remember.

I just rebuilt a 535 the other day. That series is my favorite—they all sound so incredible. They’re fun to work on too. I have a 737 to fix soon—it’s missing one output and is filthy, so it’ll be a challenge.

Yes, I have one right now too. Looking forward to hearing how it sounds with my klh 17s and epi m100s. I love how this series looks. The front panel is just gorgeous with the lights lit up in a dim room. :)

Back
Top Bottom