A really good article about vinyl, digital files and cd's

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Tim64, Jan 1, 2018.

1. E-Stat

E-Stat Super Member

You do that.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to enjoy the joys of listening to high resolution recordings. :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  2. awillia6

awillia6 Active Member

DAC coloring? You're babbling. I'm disengaging. Good listening.

3. justjed2

justjed2 Active Member

Excuse me, I have to turn the record over...

bluesky likes this.
  4. quaddriver

quaddriver 120 What's per channel Subscriber

what motor oil do you all use?

5. DaveVoorhis

DaveVoorhis Super Member

And that's how the fight started...

6. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

That is the problem with this board. People feel like they have skin in the game when they really don't and then they get snarky. People would not give up vinyl even if it is proven (it has been) that it is an inferior medium that has not changed for 60 years (which is basically the way it is now).

Just use what you will - 'nuff said.

7. ic-racer

ic-racer Well-Known Member

Can't people just buy a record and a turntable and hear for themselves. Why argue about third party opinions? I don't give a rats ass what others think about the topic, I have my own ears.

Ds2000 likes this.
  8. botrytis

That is the idea !! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The problem being people want to be right and there is no right in this hobby, only what you like. :D If you like it, then you listen to more music and that is the best of all worlds.

Cheers and :rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

I LIKE MUSIC, Ds2000 and Bodyblue like this.
  9. quaddriver

quaddriver 120 What's per channel Subscriber

a digression if I may...decades ago, when 'AOL' was an online service, us car guys found it a place to hang out, plan meets, trade parts - NORMAL stuff. Then came along Amsoil and Royal Purple synthetic motor oils. they quickly gained adherents faster than any religion, and talking smack or being dismissive then was akin to today going 'long live isis' or 'go patriots'.

Fights used to start, flame wars that at times spilled into the real world - punchings, name callings, harassment - the gamut.

So one day I decided to do a survey, and of the thousands of registered users, I asked the ones with association memberships/licenses (NHRA, IHRA, SCCA etc) to pipe up on what they use in the race car. There were many many brands used, and I suspect in many cases due to 'sponsorship', i.e. they asked pennzoil for a couple cases and then ran a sticker on the side, but suffice to say it came back like 70% valvoline. The thick shit. The stuff you can only run in a race engine with filleted bearings. the stuff that would make your 2018 Rav4 engine seize into a 400lb lump of metal.

I published the results and got threats.

so much for that.

well from then on when someone asked the inevitable oil question (like oil was more important to performance, than I dunno, heads or cam...) I advised to change the oil at manufacturer recommended intervals with manufacturer recommended grades. It was then the tweasels decided I must die, so my online 'car' presence ended.

at any rate, if someone asked me how I listened to music I would reply 'yes'. which of course would make no sense to them so if pressed it would be discovered, I listen to FM (as I am now), or sometimes XM (lifetime subsc.), or records (I own a store and have thousands) or CDs (have over 500) or MP3s (have over 3000), or cassette tapes. Heck, I even have a couple 8 tracks in a drawer for testing the rare player I am tasked to fix. No R2R tho, so I guess to THAT group I am an ignorant heretic.

FWIW, the Sanford Townsend band song on 'Bob FM' right now sounds pretty good. But I suspect it has more to do with the stereo and speakers but what do I know.

10. Bodyblue

Bodyblue AK Subscriber Subscriber

The simple fact is that for many posters on here their equipment (or overall view) has become part of their identity and/or their religion. So when another poster comes along and dares to have a different opinion about the equipment (or medium), egos get inflamed (along with asses) and the game is on. This is just an un-scientific observation but it seems to me the more rabid the acolyte, the thinner the skin and that results in the usual result: butt-hurts and thread closings.

Ronald1973 and petemcfc like this.
  11. awillia6

awillia6 Active Member

Consider the kinds of things where you DO "give a rats ass what others think." Compare those things to audio. What's the difference? Why do you examine and accept opinions on the one hand and yet when it's audio, you don't?

12. botrytis

Your right - religion. Never discuss :D

Bodyblue likes this.
  13. Bodyblue

Bodyblue AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yep.....I was thinking (rare I know) to myself about if there was anything I own that I would get upset if somebody insulted it or told me they did not like......and the answer I came up with was zero. Even though I really love several items I own, I simply could care less what others think about what I have spent my own money on. Now if somebody insulted somebody that I love that is a different thing of course. After a 30 year career in retail selling and management I think I am pretty decent at reading people........ and what I have noticed over the years is that those that are most upset by somebody either talking down about their equipment or not agreeing with them over a view of that equipment, usually have replaced personal relationships with relationships with their equipment.

Decibel_116 and OMGCat! like this.
  14. botrytis

:D we all get affliction every once in a while - THINKING THAT IS :D

Bodyblue likes this.
  15. bluemooze

bluemooze Active Member

I got the impression that the author has never heard a record in his life and that he's writing on a topic he knows nothing about.

I didn't see anyone talking about what I call "palpable presence", which to me is what albums have and CDs don't, and which is why I prefer listening to records. :)

awillia6 likes this.
  16. awillia6

awillia6 Active Member

"PP" only exists at all in the last 10%. Sadly, most have never experienced it.

bluemooze likes this.
  17. Jayrosc

Jayrosc AK Subscriber Subscriber

As a Journalist myself, I agree that this is a first rate piece of writing. Well researched, objective and flooded with quality sources on both sides. Ultimately, it certainly leads one to giving CD's more respect.

Bodyblue, awillia6 and botrytis like this.
  18. Jayrosc

Jayrosc AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well said. I'm gonna say what I'm happy with. My 21 year old son is a music buff and he enjoys tunes on his crappy cell phone and through his crappy ear phones and his crappy blue tooth speaker that's about the size of a stick of butter. But when he's home from college he listens to that same stuff through my gear and he is blown away. He knows it sounds better. He loves hearing it. But is that gonna stop him from listening through his LG G5 phone? No. I'm just glad that he hears the difference. Some day, when he has his own place ( as in NOT a dorm room) he might decide he wants good sound. Thanks to me, he will know exactly how to get it.

Steven Tate and awillia6 like this.
  19. awillia6

awillia6 Active Member

Odd, we same to share the same kid.

20. enginedr

enginedr Well-Known Member

The comments I am making in regard to this subject is from my listening experience with my system . I have very good bass response in my room thanks to a distributed bass system . My vinyl and digital front ends are of high quality . Vinyl is pleasing to listen too but for music with low frequency information digital walks all over it .If I gave up my vinyl system I would not miss it . I play with vinyl because it appeals to the gear head in me .And if you look at the economics of formats digital for content is a bargain . .

BattleBrat and Bodyblue like this.