1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

A really good article about vinyl, digital files and cd's

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Tim64, Jan 1, 2018.

1. vwestlife

vwestlife Well-Known Member

The telephone industry calls it "comfort noise" -- that little bit of hiss in the background that's always there. Now that (almost) everything's digital and there is no inherent background noise in the connection, they artificially generate it, so people don't think the line is dead.

sqlsavior and I LIKE MUSIC like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. petemcfc

petemcfc Well-Known Member

Blimey,I'd never thought of that and it makes sense.

3. awillia6

awillia6 Super Member

My cellphone carrier seems to be overdoing the, um, "comfort noise" by a few tens of db...

vwestlife likes this.
  4. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

I prefer not to have the background noise - I have enough of that I'm my environment already. Don't need noise from my musical medium to distract from the music :D

Bodyblue likes this.
  5. Bodyblue

Bodyblue AK Subscriber Subscriber

It is not the phone that sounds bad, it is the media he is playing through it. MP3s dont sound very good but premium streaming services sound great. I bought Amazon fire tablets to run Spotify Premium for two of my three systems and they sound awesome 99% of the time. Higher end Androids and most all iPhones have pretty decent DACs. I also have SACD players and TTs for both of those systems but they seem to be such a pain now that I use Spotify. The only reason I still have the turntables is that,like the poster above, I like the gear. I despise the surface noise and the first time I hear a pop or a click it ruins the enjoyment of the music.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Steven Tate

Steven Tate AK Subscriber Subscriber

I think the choice of vinyl vs digital might depend somewhat on the genre of music you listen to the most. If it's classical, I could see how the quiet background could be a real advantage. In my case, I'm just a very old teenager who mostly listens to classic rock. I never hear tics and pops in the background because there isn't any background. Maybe digital could actually give me more bass, but I doubt that my speakers could handle it, and I know my wife couldn't . :rflmao:

Ken Boyd and I LIKE MUSIC like this.

7. bluemooze

bluemooze Active Member

Where in the world do you get this from what I wrote? Are you on drugs?

If you want to quote me go right ahead. If you want to lie about what I wrote, and just make things up, go foot yourself. :D

8. bluemooze

bluemooze Active Member

Your snark is showing. :D

9. awillia6

awillia6 Super Member

Boy, these youngsters in the upper 300s are a bit touchy...

vwestlife and Ronald1973 like this.
  10. ehoove

ehoove Old & New - Carpe Diem Staff Member Super Mod Subscriber

OK folks, Let's just drop the personal back and forth. Everyone is entitled to his opinion and the personal attacks are BS and against AK rules. Keep it civil or this one will close!
    Regards,
    Jim

FileFixer and Celt like this.
  11. BattleBrat

BattleBrat Active Member

Surface noise? Negligible! Well if you used new records and the LAST line of products and grooveglide.When I had my Vpi Tnt Mk I it was damn glorious, you wouldn't think of CD's they were nowhere near as smooth or as full sounding (compare a low bit rate MP3 to a Cd, fuller sounding like there is more "body" to the music)
    Then High Resolution digital audio came along and not even my blackbird could keep up, so when the speaker(s) died I went full digital, I only buy CD's to encode em then they go bye bye. I prefer 96/24 at a minimum or DSD but it's still kinda slim pickings..

12. awillia6

awillia6 Super Member

"Encode" CDs? Do tell.

13. BattleBrat

BattleBrat Active Member

FLAC, using DB poweramp, it would be converting not encoding but eh.

awillia6 likes this.
  14. awillia6

awillia6 Super Member

That's a transcode, isn't it?

15. BattleBrat

BattleBrat Active Member

Please stay on topic, don't know, nor do I care, CD's are on the way out too.

16. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Addicted Member

Based upon the individual and what most people are willing to do, most people aren’t willing to do much and always look for the methods that take the least involvement. Then when they finish plugging stuff in they want to be finished and just push a button or lower a cartridge. The amount of people willing to do more to get more are on sites like this one and the rest just push a convenient button when they are in the mood and the sound for them doesn’t have to be that great. I think that audiophiles have a tendency to get mixed up with what the general public wants. Most of the vinyl sales are based upon the socially defined....monkey see, monkey do. Then digital is the most popular umong the more capable of the younger generations. But anything can be improved to sound even better so it’s not even about the medium, it’s about what a person is willing to do with any medium or even their lives. It’s like what you want to drive, the best new Ford Mustang or a 1971 Ford Mustang with a 428 SOHC.....

17. ehoove

ehoove Old & New - Carpe Diem Staff Member Super Mod Subscriber

Wow, and I thought speaker wire threads got people stirred up! The reality for me is that my music collection has way too much Mono and Stereo vinyl, and tape for me to abandon the analog mediums. The farther up the food chain you go the greater the difference in vinyl playback versus digital playback becomes to my ears. My main system has a very good SACD player as a source, and has a very good vinyl source as well. That being said, my records are spotless, and surface noise is minimal, my table is set up properly and the results are stellar. I have LP records cut direct to disc, cut at 45rpm. recorded and cut using tubes from start to finish. The latest Dianna Krall LP is 2 records with one side empty so they could offer the material with out compromise as discussed in the article.

That being said I have SACD offerings of remastered RCA Living Stereo recordings that I prefer the original shaded Dog Mono recording over them. There are so many variables involved to chose one medium over another is a moot. I have fabulous LPs, fabulous R2R tapes, fabulous CDs, and fabulous SACDs. I also have horrible examples of all the formats in my do not play section.

Listen to the music and not the medium. Tap your toe, Smile, Enjoy your music collection like I do mine!

Regards,
    Jim

18. jlh3rd

jlh3rd Active Member

Soooooo....
    Tell me what I’m listening to and what is happening when I take an original, 1st issue vinyl album and a first issue , AAD cd of the same album, start them at the same time, show 1watt output average on my sx780 pwr. meters when source is set to the vinyl and well over 1 watt output when the cd is selected...I have to turn the volume down.....also, now my vinyl sounds ..” muffled” in comparison......Not what I want...

19. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Super Member

The article keeps harkening back to "dynamic range", as the main reason for the superiority of CDs...... Except, most of us know, most CDs are purposely mastered with REDUCED "dynamic range". So while I don't doubt CDs are technically superior. It's like a modern sports car with a speed limiter at 60mph vs an older budget sports car without one.

StimpyWan and Decibel_116 like this.
  20. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Well, your CD player probably has a 2 Volt output and your Vinyl is between 0.2-6.5 mV (depending on MC vs MM - another rat hole to go down) and your max input voltage is 1 Volt. Your CD is overloading your Aux input of your 780 - that is all it is.

FileFixer likes this.