A Time to Flip

Moving Ahead

Here’s one you don’t see everyday. CS-50. A clock radio with phono, aux inputs.

The unit had seen a dust storm in the past leaving it with a dusty viewer. It has cleaned up well.

A nice feature is the timer. You can turn on the unit for a set time and then switches itself off.

Cap coupled.

001.jpeg
002.jpeg

Very nice.
A little lube, a re-cap, and new thermal grease and she will be good for another 30-40 years.

Well I've had this thing ticking over for a week now and it hasn't missed a minute, so it's holding time. Thats a relief.
Another interesting feature is the Auto On. Basically its an alarm clock-you set a preset and when it arrives at the designated time it switches on. Its pleasant to wake up with radio rather than an annoying buzz. I can see this over sized clock in a bedroom setup.

what year / years were those made
if I had to guess I'd say mid to late seventies. there's IC in the tone and FM section but the main amp is discrete.

A stereo receiver with a clock?
I would have said clock with a receiver- but thats splitting hairs. IMO the flip clock is the bees knees.

I've never seen one but I sure do want one now.
You're right they are uber cool. The unit is multi voltage but the clock is 50Hz.

A little lube, a re-cap, and new thermal grease and she will be good for another 30-40 years.
I recapped the power supply section as it had a lavender cap which i don't like, as well as the output coupling caps. the rest is stock and can be refreshed on a need to do basis. the mechanical clock does put many a digital clock to shame and i do hope it will tick over for many years to come.

Awesome.
The on/off timer feature is really cool, I'd probably use that regularly if I had it.

Hey
Its got everything you need for a bedroom set and a cool clock and looks good doing it. Hook you up some age appropriate speakers and your good to go. Eric

What are the approximate dimensions
W- 440mm
D- 400mm
H- 145mm

Its got everything you need for a bedroom set and a cool clock and looks good doing it. Hook you up some age appropriate speakers and your good to go
This is most probably will be where it'll live. Though I'm planning on building a bedside table to house the unit in. I've got in-ceiling speakers ready installed.

Gosh dingit. That's one cool unit there. I had a digital flip when I was a kid and that brings back memories.

Very very neat. I bet we're all on ebay looking for others now.

EDIT: LOL, just searched ebay for flip clock and WOW - vintage prices strike again.

NEW-Decorative-Blue-Dolphin-Fish-On-Waves-Table-Mantel-Shelf.jpg

Back
Top Bottom