ABBA is back, a little bit...

Are you interested in their latest tunes?

• Yes

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • ABBA?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My first record was a 45 of Take A Chance. I still like listening to ABBA.

I'm not sure about this reunion, it's a virtual reality show using avatars.

Too bad the guitar is not even plugged in but I was more interested in the girls.... outfits heheheh

I grew up with ABBA, I will always have a soft spot for the band

This one is a classic

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Still fighting the good fight on the AM dial (number 3).

74-08-17-chart.jpg

Waterloo has aged far better IMHO than most of the abominations you see here. (I LOVE Rikki - so there!).

The Stones had not one but two renaissances in the 70s! Early 70s and Late 70s. There was also birth of rap, punk, new wave. Elton John and Stevie Wonder released albums which will live forever. Springsteen, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Marvin Gaye, Neil Young, Queen, Talking Heads, Elvis Costello, Clash. Earth, Wind & Fire; Spinners, O'Jays, Al Green, Rufus, Barry White, Jackson 5. Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Ramones, Zeppelin, the Who, CCR (barely), Steely Dan, Chicago, three or four ex-Beatles, and I haven't even mentioned jazz, which is my favorite listening music. I could go on, and tastes vary of course, but I hope you get the idea.

Last edited:
Oh we need to have a thread on this. I can name hundreds of masterpieces from the 1970s.

Though, I admit there were some pretty frightful things too.
I completely agree. The music of the 70’s was hardly homogeneous. Some was great, some not so much. It started with a continuation of 60’s rock, evolved into pop and disco then came new wave/punk.

I don't hate the Seventies - the Seventies bands I like are the ones who would have kicked ass at Woodstock: Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin. The Seventies began hopefully enough - but the music scene got co-opted by pretentious old farts and pop music basically skipped a generation.

I was in Germany during the entire 2nd half of the 70s. I listened to German radio, and enjoyed it. In those days, there was pretty much one station in Southwest Germany, SWF3. It played different kinds of music at different times of the day. I developed quite a taste for European pop, which included Dr. Hook, and ABBA. I recorded quite a bit of it, since German radio quality was worthy. I especially enjoyed Pop Shop (music for my generation) and Pop Shop Party (live music from various locations). Truth be told, I enjoyed music from just about any genre they played, this includes the old time German pop, from the 40s, and so. I recorded quite a bit of it all. I play it, when I want to go back there.

I even have a significant amount of AFR (American Forces Radio) on tape. I remember those days in Germany with great fondness. If my term had run out while I was there, I might still be there, to this day.

Yes. I like ABBA. I am unashamed.

Enjoy,
Rich P

SWF3 (located in Baden-Baden) existed from 1975-1998. I grew up with it and listened to this station almost daily when I was a kid, a teen. In my opinion, it was Germany's best Pop & Rock station. Thank you for this rememberance.

You also forgot funk, which was totally out there.

Oh hell, I misread that earlier today and thought you said
"You forgot PUNK!, which was totally out there ..." ;)

So - I just scheduled my optometrist visit - maybe that'll help!

Last edited:
I completely agree. The music of the 70’s was hardly homogeneous. Some was great, some not so much. It started with a continuation of 60’s rock, evolved into pop and disco then came new wave/punk.

There was an intervening post between my last two, which was why I elaborated at such length.
It's been removed, most likely by its originator. No big deal.

You also forgot funk, which was totally out there.

FWIW...I actually did mean to add "AND I DIDN'T EVEN MENTION DISCO!"

There was an intervening post between my last two, which was why I elaborated at such length.

FWIW...I actually did mean to add "AND I DIDN'T EVEN MENTION DISCO!"
I also omitted fusion, by mistake. The 70's were rich in musical diversity and quality.

That was me. The post seemed to veer away from my original focus on contrasting ABBA with the sorry state of pop music / teen culture in the 1970's. Obviously we all have bands we like and don't like.

That was me. The post seemed to veer away from my original focus on contrasting ABBA with the sorry state of pop music / teen culture in the 1970's. Obviously we all have bands we like and don't like.

No sweat. As I said above, it should really be its own thread--but the OP is a tolerant kind of guy...

70s also gave us Judas Priest, Rainbow, Blue Oyster Cult, Hawkwind, Motorhead, Rush and a bunch of other killer bands. The disco wars were a distraction but even that had some good stuff mixed in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom