About 5 hours sleep in 5 days but thank you

grumpy

Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma
Staff member
Admin
Sponsor
Subscriber
Its hard to read what my hands are typing. My body says screw you and don't even think about another year....

We know this years show was not without its share of problems. From all of the staff at AK we apologize for a long list of flubs that were unavoidable.
No show is ever without its share of problems. Couple that with way to small a small crew who put the show on and things get compounded in a hurry. We pour our hearts, soul, health and sanity in to each and every fest and its no other reason then the love of our members, audio and the hopes of bringing together all levels of gear owners.

I have been to more then a few audio shows and have seen the ugly side of this hobby rear its head over and over. It amazes me to see the harmony that exists at our little festival year after year. There can only be one reason why this is so. Its all of you !

Instead of you all thanking us, from all of us on Audiokarma we thank you for making this the best show yet.

Grumpy

Well Dave, I think you and all your elves deserve a huge Thank You for putting together one helluva show.

Well, I was there from Friday night to Sunday afternoon, and if there was a "flub" I sure never saw it.

The only thing I noticed was the line at check-in, and as soon as I saw it the first thing I thought was: "Whoa, it's gonna be a great Fest this year!! Lookit the people!!"

The best ever. By a mile.

So, the hotel was happy with us? What dates are booked for next year?:D

I'm in.

How DARE you apologize for ANYTHING, Grumpy! You and "the crew" did an OUTSTANDING job, and as great as every past AK-Fest has been (and thanks for those, too!), this one was in many ways the best yet.

You rock, Grumpy! Now go get some sleep...

If ever there was a Jewish saint, Dave...It'd have to be you. My hat's off to you, sir, pulling this off again...Sure do wish I coulda been there...

Indeed.

In my still tired state, I'd like to personally thank Dave and Ernie for making me feel very wanted here in my return to AK once again as a posting member.

When one's hand is in the water of a running stream, it is in tune with the flow and direction of that stream. When we lift our hand from the water, we miss out on the feel of the water that passes us by, and that cannot, in essence, be recaptured.

We can, however, when the time is right, place our hands back into the water in a different place, once again realizing not only that we enjoy the feeling, but that perhaps it was meant to be that our hand was there, in that place, and in that time.

I cannot take direct credit for that analogy, the words came from a man far wiser than I, a very close friend without whom I would not be the man I am today.

In my personal life, as my dreams and ambitions are once again possible, perhaps as never before, it seems so fitting that I am able to share them with my closest friends, who I have come to know and love over years past.

Back in February of 2002, I remember having a conversation with Grumpy on the phone, and thought about this idea that we should start something new in the realm of audio forums, and on June 1 of 02, I came up with the name AudioKarma.org. We went live on June 22 of 02 as I recall, and the rest, has become history.

If you search through the annals of the posts here, you'll come to my perfect explanation of the meaning of the site's name, but in basis and theory, it comes down to being able to get out of something, only what you put into it. On this site, that meaning more often than not has transcended our experiences as audio enthusiasts, AK has gone forth and presented itself in our daily lives, as many of us here share a brotherhood and camraderie with our fellow man whenever presented with the opportunity.

I, most of all, have been the benefactor of the sentiment of "paying it forward" that has been the hallmark of AudioKarma, distinguishing itself among the internet into becoming less of a forum, and more of a family.

I'm very glad to have been the initial catalyst of Dave's dreams, and with a sense of humble pride, I now join you in the ranks of those who sit in admiration of the administrators and moderators here in what they have forged with their hard work and dedication to the ideals that brought forth the spirit of this forum we all consider a second home.

A second and no less meaningful thanks I extend to the fellow members that welcomed me once again with open arms, and credit me with setting the timbre of things here as it extends to this day. However, just as the person that laid the foundation of a house does not in essence create the home, it is all of you, with your efforts, that have accomplished this very thing. And it's something to be proud of.

To echo Brian's sentiments.......Grumpy, you rock :)

Last edited:
No one could have done better then Dave and the AK crew. I spent 14 years traveling the country going to Sportsman shows and Custom knife shows for my business. In some pretty fancy places and some just up from a cow barn. Many with a single 6 foot trade table costing over $300.00. Some with it costing $40.00 just to attend as a guest. And those pro's got nothing on the smooth way the FEST ran for a guy attending his first. I felt like I was being personally taken care of (although I now hear Dave made some guys chose straws for the duty of keeping me out of trouble loser got he short straw)

All kidding aside I just plain had a BLAST even if the early hours of Sunday morning will cost me 2-3 years of life in the long run...

Although I didn't attend, it's obvious from the many, many comments posted by people who did attend, that the event went well - again. That is due to the efforts of the organizers, Grumpy above all. It's natural for an organizer to focus on "what went wrong", especially in the tired period right after an event, but most of the time those things are not even noticed by attendees, who didn't know exactly what to expect in the first place. No event is ever 100 percent flawlessly smooth, and dealing with the inevitable little glitches as they arise is just part of making the event a success. Give yourself a big pat on the back for a successful fest, Grumpy, and take a well-earned rest. then write down notes of everything you weren't (and were!) satisfied or pleased with this year, before you forget them. Then rest some more. There is plenty of time to rest and recuperate before thinking any furrther about next year. When you do finally start working on next year's fest, plan ahead (using those notes from this year's fest and the lessons from previous ones) and recruit more help before things go too far. Delegation to enthusiastic volunteers works wonders.

My goal next year is to GO to the next AKfest. :yes:

You are amazing, Grumpy.

"Ditto" to both of these comments (although I'm not sure about next year...might be in two years' time :D).

Grumpy flicked a booger on me.

:lmao:
Why am I so quick to believe this?
Maybe he meant to flick on a wooger for you, but was too tired?
:D

Wonderful show Grump. Possibly the "best ever". My wife even said it was awesome, she played with our little girl in the atrium on Sunday, and popped up for a visit with she could. She even said that next year she'd come and rent a sleeping room and make it a family holiday: Dad with his stereo, mom & kids at the pool. Thanks again!

To echo everyone else's sentiments, it was a very well done event and if there were snags, I don't think they were apparent to anyone I talked to. Compared to the first fest I attended in '06, this was in a different league entirely. Great show!

Ed, that is a great idea that I hadn't thought about with the mom & kid at the pool. I like it. :)

I've been to every Fest and even though it got better every year, this one was a quantum leap ahead. Fantastic job Grump and all who made it possible, especially those who manned the sign-up and prize area.

I really wanted to thank the members who went to the trouble (and expense) to set-up listening rooms - I can only imagine what it takes to do that and when the only pay-off is sharing your hobby with some friends, this is truly commendable. These rooms have always made the show for me and this year they where outstanding.

There is some downsides to the 'family holiday' thing like having to ration your time (I wish I could have spent more time helping and listening) but I have been bringing the family since my daughter was born and they seem to really enjoy it - especially this year after the venue change! The only problem we had was a major tantrum from Andrea when we wouldn't let her go down to watch the last set of the truly excellent Laith show Saturday night - I think her screaming could have drowned out the CAR room. :)

Can't wait till next year.

Back
Top Bottom