needforspeed

The Spin Doctor
Subscriber
Artist: AC/DC
Title: Black Ice
Label: Columbia
Year: 2008
Genre: Rock

Finally played this through a few times, And will say it's one of the best from this bands extensive catalog. One given that's never changed is, These guys are all about upbeat guitar driven rock, And Black Ice is no exception. There are no ballads, Keyboards, Effects. Just good Rock n Roll. There are 15 tracks here, And not one is what I would call "Bad". Written by the Young brothers, There are very good lyrics, And of course over the top guitars. We all know what Angus is about, But the real crunch to these tunes is thanks to Malcom's rhythm guitar, He's really keeping it all together. Listen past the vocals on this lp, He's just chugging away. The LP was produced by Brendan O'Brien(Pearl Jam, STP, Springsteen), And thankfully it sounds very good. No "Death Magnetic" issues. This has sold over 750k in one week, Not bad as it can only be had at Walmart/Sam's Club. BTW, They have a CD/Tee shirt combo for under 20 bucks, Not bad. If you want some good blues backed rock, Check out Black Ice, It's a ton of fun!

Last edited:
I just spun it for the first time an hour ago. It's their best release, songwise, in years. The cymbals sounds a bit compressed (not as much ring as I like to hear), but the remainder of the sonics are good, esp. in the bass dept. Rick Rubin could learn a lesson or two from Brendan.:thmbsp:

....Love the DC, but Bon was so the man for that band. Having said that, is it good enough that even a guy that doesn't care too much for Brian Jones might like it?

Black Ice

I love the new record and I love AC/DC. But tell me I am not the only one having trouble understanding what Brian Johnson is saying? They kick ass but they really should include lyrics because Brian's enunciation is a little rough.

I love the new record and I love AC/DC. But tell me I am not the only one having trouble understanding what Brian Johnson is saying? They kick ass but they really should include lyrics because Brian's enunciation is a little rough.

Well Bon Scott had somewhat the same issue. Play it a few times and you'll pick up lyrics as you go. There's a lot more going on here than the vocals, For sure.

I just spun it for the first time an hour ago. It's their best release, songwise, in years. The cymbals sounds a bit compressed (not as much ring as I like to hear), but the remainder of the sonics are good, esp. in the bass dept. Rick Rubin could learn a lesson or two from Brendan.:thmbsp:

Agreed, Had a chance to really crank this for awhile (Wife outta here), And it sounds excellent, Low or high volume. "War Machine" is an Great rock song, I mean it has everything.

Funny was just at walmart this morning looking at the cool AC/DC tshirts they had. Wondered what was up with all the AC/DC stuff. They should have had some point of sale signs mentioning the new LP, as the shirts were in a rock guitar game area in the clothing section.

Do they also have the vinyl at the store or is it only online?

I know the t-shirts are cool...I actually bought 4 of them! LOL...Two are the baseball jersey ones, the other is the white one with all the pictures all over them and the last one is the black Black Ice t-shirt. Naughty me I wore an AC-DC t-shirt once to mass and I know the priest was having a fit! LOL...I love the new album though one of their best...listen to it on your car stereo it'll sound really good. The vinyl version is only on line cuz I haven't seen it.

....Love the DC, but Bon was so the man for that band. Having said that, is it good enough that even a guy that doesn't care too much for Brian Jones might like it?

I feel the same way - but I just heard "rock and roll train" and it sounded pretty good! jones actually sounded less jones-like and more bon-like than I think I've ever heard. It just sounds like good AC/DC. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom