AC/DC ---Black Ice---

Got it the day of release, finally got to spin it yesterday cranked!
Then again while working on my car.
Better than 'Stiff Upper Lip' and I thought it was really good.
Don't think they could really make a bad album, one of the few bands that really sticks to what they know, no matter what the latest style or genre.:thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp:
Hope it goes multi-platinum for them.:yes:

Got it the day of release, finally got to spin it yesterday cranked!
Then again while working on my car.
Better than 'Stiff Upper Lip' and I thought it was really good.
Don't think they could really make a bad album, one of the few bands that really sticks to what they know, no matter what the latest style or genre.:thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp:
Hope it goes multi-platinum for them.:yes:

Well on it's way, Moving around 800K disc's/LP's, In 6 days!

It's disappointing to me when artists take give any one retailer an exclusive window on their album. It's like AC/DC is hammering in their personal nail in record stores' coffins by denying them those sales.

It's particularly irksome when that retailer is Wal-Mart - from whom you can't even buy most AC/DC releases unless you want the censored version, sanitized for your protection. It's even more ironic when the reason AC/DC refuses to sell their music via iTunes is to protect the integrity of their full albums as artistic statements. Except for the naughty words, I guess.

I'd encourage everybody to skip "Black Ice" and buy the new Kings of Leon or something from your local music retailer. If you're willing to go that far, think of giving a piece of your mind to:

Attn: AC/DC Management
Sony Music Entertainment Inc.
550 Madison Ave
New York, NY 10022-3211

It's particularly irksome when that retailer is Wal-Mart - from whom you can't even buy most AC/DC releases unless you want the censored version, sanitized for your protection.

So, is "Black Ice" labeled as expurgated if you buy the CD at Walmart? Or have they cleaned up their act for this release?

The only AC/DC I listen to is Bon Scott-era, not out of snobbiness, just like those the best. So I don't even know if they are talking about balls and erections nowadays.

I'll be picking up the LP from my local HMV music store this afternoon. I'm very glad I don't have to walk into a Wally World to get it.

I agree with the Walmart thing. Journey did it too! Both LP's/CD's are very good releases for both bands. This just goes to show that musicians can make fabulous music without having to lower their standards to using profanity.

I also know of a few other musicians that NEVER used profanity in their art. DIO comes to mind right away!! So does Alice Cooper.

The local record store in our area refuses to sell the vinyl lp & cd so I had to buy it elsewhere. I ordered the 2 lp set and added the 45w/ps of rock n roll train,the 45 originally wasn't included in the 2 lp set.
There is a misspressing of this too with side 2 the clash. A hardcore ac/dc collector who I know has a couple of misspressed copies.

Just got the vinyl copy in the mail. Fantastic sound, much better than what I've heard on the radio. Very dynamic, great punch. Also, the first time I've ever heard Angus play slide, I think.

Great album, worth buying. All the vinyl copies in town sold out, so I ended up buying it direct from AC/DC for $10 less than the stores had it going at. This one stacks up with "For Those About To Rock", not quite "Back in Black", but this is tied for 2nd of the Brian Johnson era AC/DC music. Bon will never be equalled, but Brian still has it. He was, BTW, fantastic in the concert we saw a couple weeks ago when they came through Phoenix. If you still haven't had their tour in your area, and if you can get tickets, they are worth every penny.

rooster.

I think the only difference between being an "icon" in your field and "not stretching their musical boundaries" is units sold. AC/DC has sold upwards of 70 million records, so they are "not stretching thier musical boundaries." BB King (not knocking the man, I love his music) has sold about 3 million records over a period double that of ACDC. He is a musical icon. If he had sold fewer albums, he would have been regarded as even greater.

rooster.

not knocking ac/dc either I liked them when I was in my teens but man I have moved on they imho have not same riffs/beat and screaming vocals.
If you like them thats cool I have some of there early stuff on vinyl. Can't compare BB to ac/dc though the boys cover white males and females from 15to say 55 yrs of age they have carved a larger niche. Also blues vs rock these points should explain the sales figures.

nice to see ac/dc stretching there musical boundries:boring:

If you expected any big change from these guys, Yes it would be a sleeper. The truth is, AC/DC has a huge fan base, And we DON'T want change. We want Angus tearing it up, And Johnson growling into the mike. We know what to expect from there music going in. Switching to a ballad, Or slowing down the tempo, Ain't gonna fly with the true fans. For an attempt to slow things down check "Stormy Mayday". Thats all the change we can handle from AC/DC.

I just wanted to pop in and apologize for my earlier rudeness. If you like the band, you'll like the album. If you don't like the band, you won't. If you like the music, you'll love the vinyl version.

rooster.

Just picked up the vinyl version at my local indie record store. I love this album. I agree, its some of the best stuff in quite awhile :)

The local record store in our area refuses to sell the vinyl lp & cd so I had to buy it elsewhere. I ordered the 2 lp set and added the 45w/ps of rock n roll train,the 45 originally wasn't included in the 2 lp set.
There is a misspressing of this too with side 2 the clash. A hardcore ac/dc collector who I know has a couple of misspressed copies.

I just got mine in the mail on vinyl. I had trouble finding a copy close by so I ordered it online from an outfit called Strictly Discs in Madison, WI. I don't know what you mean by a "misspressing with side 2 the clash" but I will tell you that my copy SOUNDS HORRID on ALL TRACKS I've played so far. Lots of distortion especially with the vocals. Haven't played it all the way through so I'll get back with a full report. I'm wondering who else out there has the same impression...

If you expected any big change from these guys, Yes it would be a sleeper. The truth is, AC/DC has a huge fan base, And we DON'T want change. We want Angus tearing it up, And Johnson growling into the mike. We know what to expect from there music going in. Switching to a ballad, Or slowing down the tempo, Ain't gonna fly with the true fans. For an attempt to slow things down check "Stormy Mayday". Thats all the change we can handle from AC/DC.

I absolutely refuse to buy this on CD but I do want the LP. Any suggestions to where to get it on Vinyl and not get a "bad" copy as I heard that is a very big possibility?

And I also want to agree with you. When it comes to AC/DC fans know what to expect from these guys. That's why we stay loyal to them. The bands out there that still play what we want to hear are getting few and far between. The boys in AC/DC know this. They also know if they did change too very much outside of what they do best, they may alienate they true die hard fan base.

Besides, there really are young people that are listening to "Old School" Rock and Roll. If it weren't for bands Like AC/DC, where would these kids of today get it from? And lets face it, AC/DC is just good REAL Rock and Roll. Period. Nothing fancy, nothing overly difficult, no big messages, just old school Rock.

I wouldn't even label them as Heavy Metal, or even Hard Rock, in that sense. Take old 50's, 60's rock and roll, amplify the hell out out of it with some blistering guitars, loud drums and what do you got, Hard Rock? It's just an evolution of the same, just different times done with perfection. Lets be thankful that there are still bands like AC/DC that will still give guys like us "ole timers" what we need :banana: !!

Lets be thankful that there are still bands like AC/DC that will still give guys like us "ole timers" what we need

Amen, brother. :yes:

I saw them in Atlanta. Unbelievably good show. My seat backed up to the sound booth/mixing board, and when the show was over as I was leaving, I told the main sound guy how good the mix was (it's been my experience that a lot of loud hard rock shows sound horrible), that the sound was excellent and gave him a thumbs up. He came running over to where I was, reached down under one of the boards and said, "Just for that, you get this." And handed me his copy of the set list! Waaaaay cool! :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom