Accuphase: Why so unpopular in the US?

frahengeo

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Accuphase, for whatever reason, does not seem very popular in the US. I suspect that it has a lot to do with pricing in the US vs other countries around the world, and pricing vs other brands. Not very many units in the secondary market, and seemingly not a lot of reviews ( from both Users, and Professionals) online neither.

Folks, what are your thoughts on why Accuphase is less popular compared to other comparable brands. Is it pricing, marketing, quality, customer service, serviceability, inventory, or a combination of factors? Let me know your thoughts.

For me, new units are cost prohibitive. I cannot justify spending ~$20,000 on a single component, but there are plenty of people with deeper pockets than me. The best I can do is hunt for used units, and those don't come up often.

I don't think it's a matter of unpopular, per se. They're just not that well represented in the market from what I see, and here are many choices when you have ample resources.

Marketing.
I'd presume that Accuphase determined that they couldn't sell enough units at enough of a profit to justify the overhead of maintaining a strong US presence.

Pricing is the #1 concern as you have stated. As far as finding used units, those that have them, refuse to give them up. ;)

So the competition is more fierce in the US than say...Europe?

Out of curiosity, I searched used Pre-Amps, and Amps online, and there is much more available in the Europe.

For pre-amps: US - 5; Europe - 168
For Amps: US - 5; Europe - 94

Pricing is the #1 concern as you have stated. As far as finding used units, those that have them, refuse to give them up. ;)

More expensive than Mac, Krell, or Levinson, you think? Or is it a matter of what you get for your money (Watts/$, lbs/$, etc.) I would tend to agree with your latter reason, but the healthy amount of used units in Europe says otherwise.

It's very popular for those of us who troll hifido regularly and dream of owning a huge Class A amp or beautifully made preamp. They just do not appear to have much of a US distribution strategy and that's not terribly unusual for high-end Japanese hi-fi. Even the regular players had some models that never came over here.

Someday.... :)

jblnut

Yes. There were many models from Denon, Sony, Victor, etc. that never made it to the US, and many many more when it came to portable electronics. I've lived, and visited Japan several times, and I am always amazed at the variety that is available.

Accuphase, on the other hand, seem more focused, and do not carry a vast catalog of goods. The Accuphase Japan website, compared to Accuphase ex-Japan website looks the same too.

They have a handful of US distributors, and I would love the opportunity to audition their stuff.

Restored a preamp for a customer, it was a model C-200 and the build quality was superb. Plug in boards made a dream to service. Sounded excellent too.
Here a few pics of the preamp.

Attachments

• DSC01059.JPG
    DSC01059.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC01058.JPG
    DSC01058.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC01057.JPG
    DSC01057.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC01052.JPG
    DSC01052.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC01037.JPG
    DSC01037.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC01033.JPG
    DSC01033.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 49
The current lineup is similarly built. Looks like a PC with a bunch of extension cards

32267143783_ff37138141_o.jpg

Accuphase has weird distribution strategy, that restricts cross market sales. That greatly increases price in all other markets comparing to Japan domestic sales. Accuphase does not service their units if they were moved from one country to another, even if it was done by original owner. I feel that Accuphase just does not care much about any sales outside of Japan - they are not really interested in expanding their market. At the same time it allows to buy Japan market units in Europe or US for cheap, comparing with official channels. I am one of this kind of buyers and happy with preamp I got. If you need full featured (internal phono stage, tone controls and other stuff) high-end preamp - Accuphase is one of just a handful of brands to choose from.

I feel that Accuphase just does not care much about any sales outside of Japan - they are not really interested in expanding their market. At the same time it allows to buy Japan market units in Europe or US for cheap, comparing with official channels. I am one of this kind of buyers and happy with preamp I got. If you need full featured (internal phono stage, tone controls and other stuff) high-end preamp - Accuphase is one of just a handful of brands to choose from.

It does not seem like they are interested in the American market as I have never seen one in-person; even back in the day when Audio boutique stores were plentiful. Not very well marketed, if you ask me. Maybe 'unpopular' is not the right word, but 'unavailable' would be a better word.

They allow the sales of new 100V units outside of Japan? I've only seen 'used' 100V units being sold ex-Japan.

I have a US version pre-amp as well. It is so well built, and a joy to use.

I had no idea accuphase was the acura of kenwood. Can it be thought of like that?

It used to be that way more than 30 years ago. Now it is a privately owned small independent shop.
You need to read their statement, which is available on Japanese language web site - somehow it is missing from English language one.

My buddy Ralph Fonte or the now defunct CSA was an Accuphase dealer. He had the full lineup upstairs. I don't know if another dealer in the area picked up the line after he closed.

They allow the sales of new 100V units outside of Japan? I've only seen 'used' 100V units being sold ex-Japan.

Not sure about new, but all the second hand Accuphase units Ive imported to NZ from JP have been multi-voltage. About the only exception I understand to the local 100VAC rule. I've also imported Technics and Sansui gear from JP and of course that has been 100V JP voltage only, non-selectable.

Back
Top Bottom