Accutrac 4000 new controller

This is fantastic!!

ONE FOR ME PLEASE.

Possible new life to all of those broken 4000s out there.
Very impressive.

Last edited:
vovkus - good to hear I made the short list. Waiting patiently... pretty exciting that someone with your capability is able to do this and bring some of these units back to life.

Short update. Last night I connected new controller to Accutrac and tuned comparators for optical sensors. No problem, to detect tracks on LP, but sensitivity pot is touchy.
It is a 1 MOhm (actual is 2.2M in my unit). I think better to replace with something close to 10K just for more comfortable adjustment.
Direct drive control works fine. Now it is powered after voltage regulator, which will provide more stable speed.
I will not implement old ultrasound remote system at all, will use infrared with Philips CD player control protocol. This will allow to use any universal remote to control turntable.
For people, who want "authentic" look with aluminum egg and plastic brick, it is possible to rebuild original remote, but it will be other project.
Firmware: almost done state machine for "slave" controller.

Last edited:
On this point only three words. It is alive!
All original functionality is recovered plus I did some modifications.
Firs 5 PCBs are ok, but they will need some very simple modifications. Simple comparator is not working for head sensor, I converted it to variable gain amplifier.
During debugging I accidentally destroyed ADC LMA-1 stylus. :( Not related to the controller.

On this point only three words. It is alive!
All original functionality is recovered plus I did some modifications.
Firs 5 PCBs are ok, but they will need some very simple modifications. Simple comparator is not working for head sensor, I converted it to variable gain amplifier.
During debugging I accidentally destroyed ADC LMA-1 stylus. :( Not related to the controller.

Sorry to hear of the damage to the LMA-1. They are a little pricey to replace. The LMA-1 I had was damaged when I got my Accutrac 4000. I removed the Accutrac cartridge from the plastic cartridge mount and replaced it with a Shure cart and stylus . The cart I used set back far enough to allow the head shell sensor to still work. I epoxied it in place.
IMG_1120.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of the damage to the LMA-1. They are a little pricey to replace. The LMA-1 I had was damaged when I got my Accutrac 4000. I removed the Accutrac cartridge from the plastic cartridge mount and replaced it with a Shure cart and stylus . The cart I used set back far enough to allow the head shell sensor to still work. I epoxied it in place.
View attachment 872258
Interesting fix but your cartridge alignment is most probably grossly off since the cartridge is setting so far back in the headshell.
Rick

vovkus,
Outstanding. You did a very nice clean retrofit. It looks like it came out of the factory that way. Good work.
Rick

Interesting fix but your cartridge alignment is most probably grossly off since the cartridge is setting so far back in the headshell.
Rick

Not so sure this is the case since the first quarter of the ADC stylus assembly is an open hole for the sensor.
upload_2017-2-20_7-31-45.png

Rick
It looks that way but actually it's not. The front of the headshell needs to be exposed so the sensor can shine down on the record. I used the Heybrook universal alignment protractor to align the cartridge in the head shell and it aligned perfectly. The set back is not a problem.

All I can say is WOW! Outstanding work here vovkus. I dig the add on for IR vs the original remote but I am a traditionalist. Will the old setup still work as well? Thanks for all your hard work here as well as for taking the time to share it with your AK community. Can't wait for the final, ready for me version.

All I can say is WOW! Outstanding work here vovkus. I dig the add on for IR vs the original remote but I am a traditionalist. Will the old setup still work as well? Thanks for all your hard work here as well as for taking the time to share it with your AK community. Can't wait for the final, ready for me version.
Vovkus said this in a previous post.
For people, who want "authentic" look with aluminum egg and plastic brick, it is possible to rebuild original remote, but it will be other project

Not sure but i think that addressed your statement.

His new controller looks good to me and I also look forward to getting one. I myself also being a "Tradionalist" would like to still be able use the Orb and original remote if at all possible.i just like the vintage look.

Last edited:
I never have working original remote for Accutrac4000. But idea is replace IC in remote unit with Arduino mini and hide IR receiver inside "egg".

This is what I can offer.
bare PCB (I have 3 extra right now and all of them assigned to customers) $15+shipping
bare PCB + parts kit, not assembled $65+shipping
assembled controller $100+shipping

Back
Top Bottom