Actors who suprised you as a bad guy...

Ronny Cox did two bad guy rolls, impressively. I had not seen him as a bad guy before RoboCop.

RoboCop: 1987
Total Recall: 1990

Agreed with Michael Keaton in Pacific Heights. His performance floored me. I couldn't imagine him as a bad guy, until that movie.

Robin Williams had a good turn as a bad guy performance in Insomnia.

S.J.

And both films directed by Paul Veerhoeven too. If anyone asks about dark side of the 80s I'd recommended Robocop for its biting social commentary.

Cox was wonderful in the role, "It's only a glitch..."

hqdefault.jpg

Larry Drake, who played Benny Stulwicz on L.A. Law and won 2 Emmy Awards. His later career had him as some pretty evil characters, especially in Dr. Giggles, Darkman and Darkman II.

larry-drake-229347l.jpg

Like probably so many others, I was first introduced to Raymond Burr as Perry Mason when I was a kid, quintessential protector of justice. Later on, I found he had played the ultimate bad guy - and I'm not talking just Rear Window here. Check out his earlier works - he played some truly evil guys.

I thought you were talking about Godzilla

I'd forgotten that one. After St. Elsewhere, that role was likely intended to change perception about his range. IIRC he was good in it too.

I thought Harmon was good in it too, but then he went back to being cast as good-guy cops and doctors.

I thought Harmon was good in it too, but then he went back to being cast as good-guy cops and doctors.

That was also a western with Tom Selleck and Virginia Madden in which Harmon played the bad guy and the bad husband of Madsen’s character.

No Way Out, with Kevin Costner (1987).

Another movie that kept me wondering, 'Is he or is he not the bad guy?'. Even in the dying moments of this flick, people are still of trying to decide whether "Tom" was the protagonist or the antagonist.

Take in this at least 4 outta 5 thumbs up movie, and decide which camp you belong in. And no looking at any spoilers/synopsis to help you in your end choice either before/after.

Then, share your take on him...good or bad.:dunno:

Q

When it ended, although I didn't use the term then, had a WTF moment. I was completely blindsided by it. And my take, he was a mole, , only way it made sense to me.

BUT, the more you read into it...it may not be as you think, eh? I think the ending was one of those...only the "Shadow knows for sure". Others may chime in on whether it is as it appears be, or was it the way it really was. One of the few movies wherein you want to go back to certain scenes or take the whole effort in, just to see if it reaffirms your way of thinking, sways you the other way...or still leaves you up in the air.

Most like a clean, definite endings, but I think the nebulous ones have their place as well.

Q

Last edited:
Yep, maybe...or...?

I enjoy a non-clean ending very much especially if thought provoking. I've got a great list of films to work through from a couple threads here and just added this one to it.

Thanks for the input.:thumbsup:

Q

Last edited:
Before I even opened the thread, Lithgow in Cliffhanger was my first thought (esp. when he tells Stallone to "fetch").
The op took the wind out of THAT sail...

Back
Top Bottom