ADC Cartridge...

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by knockbill, Jan 12, 2018.

1. knockbill

knockbill Addicted Member

I got a vintage Dual TT a while ago with an ADC cartridge that has a PSX-10 stylus on it... I have it mounted to a Garrard sled, and just noticed it has a bolt thru it, like a P mount cartridge... Is this a P mount cartridge mounted on a 1/2" adapter? If so, it a good enough cartridge to try on a Technics SL D30, (it has a Technics P28 now)?
    Just trying make use of it, if its worth bothering...

Thanks...

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Vinylmasters

Vinylmasters Super Member

It's a p-mount, so yes, it's on a universal mount on that weird Dual 'sled' thing'. It's a decent cart, but get the PSX-30 stylus if you can find it (not sure if Gary @ the Voice of Music stills has them or not). EDIT: Gary has 'em: http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/cata...chType=MfgNameNeedles&MfgName=ADC&Categories=

3. wualta

wualta < Spike Milligan, 1961

Azden made these for ADC late in ADC's life. It turns out to be an excellent little cartridge, and original styli are still available for not much money, even today. Definitely worth considering. To confirm that, simply search for ADC PSX here on AK. You'll find many fans of the 30 and 40 styli, which will fit your 10 body because all the PSX bodies are the same electrically.
    1.jpg
    Let us know if you have a budget for this project, if you want to make it a project.

4. knockbill

Thanks for the reply... its on a Garrard sled, I have a couple of SL95Bs and wanted to try it...
    How does it stack up against the Technics P28 cartridge?
    I'll look for the PSX-30, and see what I can learn... thanks for the info...

5. wualta

The P28/P28ES was the base elliptical from the early lineup of the Technics p-mounts, which are also favorites of mine, but finding genuine replacements for these styli has become very difficult. Aspire to the boron P22 or P22S or P202C, but in the meantime, you'll get very high bang/buck from the PSX-30 stylus (called RPSX-30) in your 10 body.

6. revox-b77

revox-b77 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Do as advised, then sit back and enjoy the tunes!

7. knockbill

Yep,,, the SL-D30 had the original Technics cartridge on it when I got it,, the diamond was broken, and I replaced the stylus with a conical that fit, to try the TT... I never noticed this ADC had the P mount adapter until just now!!! I just mounted it to a spare Garrard sled to try it, as it has the stylus...
    Since the proper replacement is hard to get for the P28,,, I'll look into cost/availability of the right stylus for the ADC,,,
    Thanks again for the info!

8. wualta

Click on the blue 30 in post #3.

9. knockbill

Is the EVG stylus a viable replacement, or only the ADC 30 ? Its a little confusing as neither 30 is "blue" on that chart...

10. revox-b77

You want the original PSX 30 made by ADC. ( the 45.00 one )

11. SA-708

SA-708 Appalachian-American

The conical 10s are blue; go for an original ADC RPSX-30 in white.

When wualta said "blue 30", he meant the colour of the text that was the link to tVoM, not the colour of the stylus.

wualta likes this.

12. knockbill

OK,,, thanks for clearing that up!

The two cartridges are electrically interchangeable, just plug and play( pins wired the same)? Doesn't look like P-mount cartridges need to be aligned? Does the tracking weight need to be adjusted for different cartridges?
    This is the only TT I have that uses them...

13. revox-b77

No need to adjust anything. Insert cartridge, tighten screw and hit play.

14. wualta

Exactly. Plug 'n' Play. This is about the only time you'll hear that phrase applied to anything phono, or, heck, analog.

15. knockbill

Thanks,, I did some googling and found the info,,, not sure I'm up for the "30" stylus just yet... maybe I'll try the ADC as is on the SL-D30 first and see if its much better than whats on it now...

Other than plugging in the replacement stylus, I really never gave this TT much thought!!! Its automatic, and works fine tho, so maybe a closer look!!!

I appreciate the info and lessons,

16. wualta

While I've never heard the 10 conical stylus myself, I do have a 20, which is pretty much a 10 with an elliptical diamond, and it sounds just fine, not obviously a "lesser" cartridge, so if the diamond on your 10 isn't worn, you may find that it will do the job until you can save up for a 30.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018

17. boreas

boreas "If it sounds good, it IS good." E.K.E. Subscriber

All the bodies for the PSX-10 through 40 are electrically and physically identical except the PSX-30 and PSX-40 which were gold plated. My "PSX-30" is just what yours would be, a PSX-10 with a 30 stylus. It's a great cartridge.

P-mounts don't need to (can't) be aligned when used on a P-mount turntable but they need to be aligned when installed using the adapter and installing them on a 1/2" headshell. Similarly P-mount turntables have the tracking force set at the factory at 1.25 grams so, when installing a cartridge on a P-mount turntable, just as with alignment, you don't need to and usually can't set the tracking force. On turntables with 1/2" headshells, you need to set the tracking force at 1.25 grams.

Now, your SL-D30 is a little different from most P-mount turntables because it does have an adjustable counterweight and anti skate. These are both adjustable to the prescribe P-mount spec. of 1.25 grams +/- 0.25 grams. I'd just set the tracking force and anti skate both at 1.25.

John

18. boreas

boreas "If it sounds good, it IS good." E.K.E. Subscriber

I had an SL-D20, same as the SL-D30 but auto return only. It was quite a decent turntable.

John

Note: trying to evauate a cartridge by using it with a used stylus of unknown condition can lead you down a rabbit hole pretty quickly.

19. knockbill

I did replace the stylus on this TT (P28) not long ago,,, its a conical... I'm not real sure the ADC cartridge would be an upgrade,,, I read some AK posts about the P28, and they pretty much agree that its a pretty good cartridge... I may try an elliptical stylus on the P28 first, if I can find one cheap enough...
    FWIW,, I tried the ADC when I got it, on a 1/2" mount TT,, and didn't like it as much as the Shure or Empires I had been using, it may need a stylus, but seemed to play OK, just not as full sounding, IIRC...

Yep,, anti skate and tracking are both set at 1.25...

20. knockbill

I decided to try this ADC on the Technics SL-D30... it sounds very good here, I'm actually surprised how full the music sounds...

I have a few rookie P-mount revelations/questions,,, I notice the D30 doesn't the tiny nut on the P mount bolt as the 1/2 adapter does, makes swapping cartridges a breeze!!! I like that feature... how do you manage that small nut, if its necessary, small nutdriver? Are other P mount TTs set up with a blind threaded mounting hole also?
    I left the tracking and anti skate both set at 1.25, that's correct I believe...
    The ADC has a stylus cover that swings down to protect the stylus,,, is that supposed to be removed while playing? does it affect the track weight?

Thanks for info...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018