ADC recommendations based on your experience

LPA

Hey, so I am trying to find a suitable analog to digital converter to be able to rip my LP collection to FLAC. Classic stuff I see lots of people doing this, but my issue is that I have a hard time finding a ADC that fits within my budget (maximum $500USD) while providing best performance possible.

Seems most of what I find are sub $50 models that I doubt will provide audiophile quality, or other models explicitely designed for studios or professionals (way above budget and offering way too many features).

I need only a single analog input (RCA) and a single digital output. I will use this seldomly to convert LP's to FLAC files using my thorens TT with SME3009 arm (Nagaoka MP-15 stylus). TT is connected to a Accuphase C200 preamp. I expect the ADC to simply convert the signal as accurately as possible, nothing more. No sound "improvements", no bells & whistles. Just conversion. It should not reduce the quality of the signal (sound) by any means.

Some questions:

1. What kind of connection should I use between my computer and the ADC? USB? Optical? Coax? The soundcard in the computer is the onboard one, not a PCIe or anything else. Very basic. I can upgrade the computer (add a real soundcard) if its justified to do so.

2. What sampling rate/resolution should I target to use? I imagine beyond a certain point, my ears wont "see" a difference, my wallet will cry and I wont benefit from the extra expense...

3. Any models/Brands to recommend based on your experience (either you own one or have in the past, or have worked with one before and really enjoyed it)?

Cheers

LPA: Any reason why you don't consider a decent prosumer sound interface, like for example a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2?

1.) Can't really be answered - too system-environment-dependent...

2.) 16/44.1 LPCM would theoretically already easily do the job, but with 24/96 you might get a bit more leeway in terms of recording level adjustment as well as a bit more headroom for louder pops and clicks. But of course this will also be equipment-dependent to a certain degree...

3.) Well, personally I nowadays prefer to use a little digital field recorder for the purpose. Unfortunately Sony's neat PCM-M10 was discontinued last year, but the Roland R-05 would be a similarly good and now also similarly priced model. If you'd like an even better model for stationary use, you could of course also consider something like the Tascam DA-3000.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Personally I have an older but still functional under Windows 10 an E-MU 1820m sound card. The "m" versions of E-MU cards (1820, 1616, 1212) have highest grade ADC, same as the ones used in professional mastering consoles, with THD+N=-110dB. The non "m" variant has a different ADC, still good but with the THD+N=-105dB. One caveat is to check out the available inputs to match what you have. Their line inputs are usually balanced, but their docks have also a turntable input:
http://www.creative.com/emu/products/product.aspx?category=505&pid=19007

As a side note: The quality of almost all the existing ADC converters is maxed at 96kHz sample rate, at 192kHz the THD actually gets slightly worse.

Last edited:
"If you'd like an even better model for stationary use, you could of course also consider something like the Tascam DA-3000"

I have been extensively researching for the DA-3000 since you replied, and I must say, that looks like a powerhouse for a decent price (here in Canada about $1100USD). Its far above my budget but on a separate topic I am also searching for a audiophile DAC/Network player, so in the end, if the DA-3000 is capable to act as a analog-digital as well as a digital-analog converter (both ways), so I would not need to buy a separate DAC to play hifi FLAC files on my stereo ssytem. Im just realizing whats the point of being capable to play track at the best quality possible if I cannot encode them with at least the same quality? Content available online most of the time just doesnt cut it and is tailored for portable devices and "ordinary" people....

Manfred, have you used the DA-3000 before?

The Creative live of external converters is also interesting, but I am worried about drivers and overall compatibility. I am using Linux Mint on my media center. For all I know, I purchased a Hauppauge TV tuner a while back and never could use it with linux due to non-existent drivers. After all, Linux is just now capable of handling blu-ray and USB sticks.. so... :) But I will research about it for sure!

LPA: Sorry, but no personal experiece with the DA-3000 yet from my side - I just used it as an example for a high-class model that seems to do pretty well. My own requirements simply aren't high enough to buy a DA-3000 for myself and try it in my own system environment - especially as I'm already happy with the more flexibly usable PCM-M10.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

My PC motherboard (ASRock 970 Extreme 3 rev 2.0 - yes, I had to look that up;)) has a light blue stereo Line-In jack. Its onboard DAC is enough to make CD-resolution files that sound like my records.

YMMV

My PC motherboard (ASRock 970 Extreme 3 rev 2.0 - yes, I had to look that up;)) has a light blue stereo Line-In jack. Its onboard DAC is enough to make CD-resolution files that sound like my records.
That motherboard has, like many others, a Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec. The listed capabilities for ADC is THD+N=-84dB A-weighted. That's 14 bit at the best and it might sound good if all that you do is converting to mp3's, but... is not a serious solution.

No wonder nobody was thrilled. :(

Haha! But that brings me to ask: I see that the audio chipset in my media center is a VIA VT1708S.. ASUS's webpage claims this chipset is capable of 192kHz/24bit output and has a SPDIF output.

The onboard 8-channel HD audio (High Definition Audio, previously codenamed Azalia) CODEC enables high-quality 192KHz/24-bit audio output

Seems most "prosumer" DAC's capable of 194/24 are orders of magnitude more expensive than the ASUS motherboard I own, let alone the audio chipset itself...

So what's the difference in terms of DAC (yes digital to analog conversion) between lets say a prosumer chipset at 700$ and the VIA chipset that is worth perhaps $3??

You could get yourself a decent 2 channels audio interface such as the Steinberg ur-22 or one of the like. You would also need a pair of XLR to RCA adapter and an external phono preamp. All of that would fit your 500$ budget and sound pretty good.

sqls: Well, 90 db SNR and -84 dB THD+N might not exactly be thrilling anymore today for a line-level input on a modern digital device. But for a cheap HDA codec chip that's still not that bad - and it's also not so bad on the absolute scale.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

"If you'd like an even better model for stationary use, you could of course also consider something like the Tascam DA-3000"

I have been extensively researching for the DA-3000 since you replied, and I must say, that looks like a powerhouse for a decent price (here in Canada about $1100USD). Its far above my budget but on a separate topic I am also searching for a audiophile DAC/Network player, so in the end, if the DA-3000 is capable to act as a analog-digital as well as a digital-analog converter (both ways), so I would not need to buy a separate DAC to play hifi FLAC files on my stereo ssytem. Im just realizing whats the point of being capable to play track at the best quality possible if I cannot encode them with at least the same quality? Content available online most of the time just doesnt cut it and is tailored for portable devices and "ordinary" people....

Manfred, have you used the DA-3000 before?

The Creative live of external converters is also interesting, but I am worried about drivers and overall compatibility. I am using Linux Mint on my media center. For all I know, I purchased a Hauppauge TV tuner a while back and never could use it with linux due to non-existent drivers. After all, Linux is just now capable of handling blu-ray and USB sticks.. so... :) But I will research about it for sure!

Creative not recommended due to often annoying resampling, those crummy problematic drivers and their support, and they do not support Linux whatsoever. Creative supports the Windows OS their USB audio gear was released for in mind and no else.

Creative not recommended due to often annoying resampling.
Dude, get you facts straight! E-MU have two different clocks for 44.1 and 48kHz rates (and multiples), there is no resampling done on those cards!
Also, who cares about Linux, why did you even bring that on, OP certainly didn't?

E= MU is not ordinary Creative externals either. E= MU makes good sound cards. We agree about that. I respect E=MU and loathe Creative. I even use one in my desktop PC. An earlier poster was discussing Linux compatibility. And with Microsoft's commitment to built in keyloggers, telemetry, forced automatic background crap and more, people are getting disgusted with Windows especially 10.

Well, I did not expect to discuss about computer OS on this thread but KentTeffetelier has got a valid point. I use Linux Mint on the media center I intend to use with my Hifi setup. I am exclusively using linux on all PC's, servers and mobile devices for a myriad of reasons I will not explain here as I dont want to start a flame war and its off topic...

For the ADC/DAC I'd rather stay away from computer solutions, especially with Linux which barely started to support USB thumbdrives a few years ago.. :) Generally speaking, computer solutions require drivers (a software counterpart) that are subject to bugs and instabilities, are prone to vulnerabilities and security flaws, require updates and regular maintenance, and generally speaking, are cheaper than hardware solutions (quality wise). Not to mention are generally designed to be replaced sooner than later...

Anyways, I just want to flip the switch, set the misc settings and enjoy... No patches and updates, drivers, and stuff like that.

Im interested by jetstream's suggestions, and most likely right now the DA-3000 from Tascam. I have been reading tons of reviews, youtube videos and multiple sites, and it seems to be excellent and while overkill for me, will provide years of high quality performance for my usage..

I use the DA-3000. Works as advertised, easy interface, no complaints.

Just note - none of them does flac.

Conversion to FLAC is a software function. That's how it works for me.
FWIW: I use a Behringer UCA222 and Audacity for ripping LP's. That's why I'm certain that FLAC has nothing to do with the ADC.

Back
Top Bottom