ADC recommendations based on your experience

Well, I am using their last beta driver for my E-MU 1820m under Windows 10 x64 and I don't have any issues. But true, the 0404 was made in several different models.

Well, I am using their last beta driver for my E-MU 1820m under Windows 10 x64 and I don't have any issues. But true, the 0404 was made in several different models.

The driver related issues I was experiencing are probably a result of my strange use habits. Recording wasn't my primary use. It was using it as a USB sound card, and also passing vinyl into my receiver hooked up to my pc by HDMI. I was having freezing up issues when switching playback from ASIO/WASAPI back to directsound, and turning on/off "listening". Granted these are not the primary functions of an audio interface. But, these issues were all buy eliminated by switching to the behringer unit. Not to mention, the EMU unit sold on ebay for more than the behringer's new purchase price.

THD < 0,02% (-74dB) for 500 Euros? Even if it is for the Phono In... Yuck!
See here something with 0.003% (-90dB) on Phone input and 0.0003% (-110dB) on Line In:
http://www.creative.com/emu/products/product.aspx?pid=19007
I believe that's for the phono in, which is the same as their Phono box DS of 250 euros. For 250 more you get a dsd capable adc in the box, hopefully solid one. The EMU on the link needs a phono preamp, so the figures are not really comparable. If you combine the two (EMU and DS) results would probably be the same regarding THD as DS2. I'm curious which ADC is used in the DS2.

Nope, it has a dedicated input:
emu1616mback.jpg

The THD+N is specified for that input.

I see now...That's interesting, even lower than some highly praised preamps (i-phono2 <0.0007%), which I can't really understand.

Creative/E-MU pulled all the stops on those external units, especially on the ones marked with "m":
"Mastering grade 24-bit/192kHz converters - the same A/D converters used in Digidesign's flagship ProTools HD 192 I/O Interface"
Unfortunately, they didn't sell probably as they expected...
I have an E-MU 1820m and I try to keep it alive as long as I can.

Pick up a M-Audio 2496 or an audiophile 2496, whack it in a PCI slot and you are done. You've also got SPDIF in and out, line in and out on those cards. About $25 on the 'bay.

There's a decent AK codec, a bank of 5532/4 opamps and they are neat.

Those where good cards. Note that newer computers lack the PCI slots, or they are already occupied.
Also I don't think that M-Audio cards doesn't have drivers that work in Windows 8 or 10, that's why there are so cheap. The E-MU can be found in PCI-express version and has updated drivers. Kind of... Even my discontinued 1820m has functional drivers in Windows 10 64bit.

...Those where good cards... Also I don't think that M-Audio cards doesn't have drivers that work in Windows 8 or 10, that's why there are so cheap...

The Vista 64 bit driver works fine in 7, 8 and 10 for those cards. You just have to manually install it.

Back
Top Bottom