ADC XLM carts

Limited knowledge here but I think the only difference is tge stylus. Also its a high compliance cart so it should be used on a low effective mass tone arm. Hth Bob

Here is a table with the specifications of the XLM cartridges.
ADC-XLM-SPECS1.jpg
The inductance and resistance are different between the original and improved versions. You can tell the newer cartridge body by the enclosed mounting screw holes while the older version's holes are open in the front. The compliance of the original Mk II is quite a bit more than the improved version and the overall weight is less in the original version. The high compliance might be a problem for some tonearms.

Last edited:
View attachment 1167687
The inductance and resistance are different between the original and improved versions. You can tell the newer cartridge body by the enclosed mounting screw holes while the older version's holes are open in the front. The compliance of the original Mk II is quite a bit more than the improved version and the overall weight is less in the original version. The high compliance might be a problem for some tonearms.

Correct. Also, to avoid confusion, the XLM II, XLM II Improved and XLM III. Should all be described as MK II or III. XLM II and XLM III (also XLM I) are the numbers for the Integra styli. The Integra cartridges have resistance and inductance measurements which are different from other ADC cartridges. This can get pretty confusing since the styli for all these different cartridges are physically interchangeable while being electrically incompatible.

John

I just scored a Dual 701 turntable will an ADC XLM cart work with the arm? If so which variant would you choose? Thanxs for all the info so far.

ADCs work very well on low mass arms like the Dual's but stylus recommendations will have to wait until you have the cartridge and know which version you have.

John

I just scored a Dual 701 turntable will an ADC XLM cart work with the arm? If so which variant would you choose? Thanxs for all the info so far.[/QUOTE According to the ADC spec sheet your Dual 701 is listed a
I just scored a Dual 701 turntable will an ADC XLM cart work with the arm? If so which variant would you choose? Thanxs for all the info so far.

The MKII isn't a good match for your dual arm. The VLM would be a better match.

View attachment 1167975

Are the XLM and XLM MKll (first two columns on right) close enough spec-wise to accept each others needles?

Are the XLM and XLM MKll (first two columns on right) close enough spec-wise to accept each others needles?
As far as I could tell, the cartridge bodies are the same. The inductance and resistance are the same so the coils and poles are probably the same design. So the styli are interchangeable. The MK II has better channel separation and a flatter frequency response and ADC gave it a broader tracking force range. They both have a very high compliance and my tonearm is not a good match for either.

Thanks. I have one or the other, not sure which. I'm guessing this one will wor
Yes. That's the RXL which is the original XLM and will fit either body. The stylus for the XLM MK II is the RXZ and I'm guessing the only difference between the two is a change in the suspension block that allows the RXZ to track at over 1 gram.

OOPS! But have you measured your cartridge's coils? If so, what reading did you get?

John

Yup, as you say, that makes it either the XLM or the XLM MK II (Unimproved). But the replacement stylus supersedes from the RZD mentioned in the chart above to the original equipment RXL that I linked to or the JICO RXL copy you linked to. I'd go with the original.

John

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom