Adding Bass to Sequerra MET 7's

c-atle-79bay

I have a very early set,the don't say Sequerra on them. So I like these speakers, they are without a doubt, to me, the most lively transparent 3d speaker I have ever owned, but they are just anemic for any sort of mid bass down. I've tried them with a sub, but I just don't like the way a sub does the upper mid bass,but If I turn the sub crossover down, feel like I'm missing something. So could be my choice of subs, I've used what I have, in this case an MK V90.

So my question (s) to the group is what to do? Add 2 subs and just experiment?

The MET8W subwoofer seems to be designed specifically for this speaker, and i guess would be my choice of subs, if I could find a pair.

Or take something like an OLA or AR 4XA and mess around with the crossover and try to match it with the MET 7.

Not sure of my goal, could be that if I figure something out this could be "the one" haha yeah right.

Any thoughts, experience, or franken thinking appreciated.

Thanks

2re1pp0.jpg

I have a pair of the Pyramid Sequerra subs. Big guys. Not sure of the model right off the top of my head... I have used them with some RDL FS1 s and the results were excellent.

Just looked. They are indeed the "8W" model. Too bad you aren't closer and we could get these long lost siblings back together to see what the intended effect would be. That would be fun.

Last edited:
Thinking about this more. I don't really know how to ask the question correctly, but how would one go about lowering the crossover point on a speaker? In my case an OLA.

Side thought, I have a set of tiampable Sony's that I could also test out in series (TBD) on ohm load.

Easiest would certainly be to grab two powered subs, perhaps daytons or such. I also have 2 subs I could use for a quick and dirty test, not very similiar to one another but should give an idea.

So, if I get your train of thought, you are thinking along the lines of an Infinity Reference system where one set of cabinets would do the lows and the other set would do the upper registers. You would jumper a crossover between the 4 and have the METS be the upper mids and above and the other be the mids and below.

Last edited:
Yes, thinking this would be the easiest with what I have. Trying to recreate the pyramid.

eidt: not that I know what the infinity reference system is.

Last edited:
I have one unused sequerra sub, but its with me on the other coast. big and heavy!

How is the sound on that sub? A set is currently going though a bidding war and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it for a complete metronome set or go for other modern subs.

I can see modern subs having a bit of advantage of a more adjustable crossover curve and a built in amp.

But, I can also see that this was a set, or optional set, and therefor most likely a superior option given the designer.

I'll pay hell for this purchase, if I go for them that's for sure.

Metronome 8W Sub

Ok I've a question about the 8W sub. It looks like 2 sets of leads to the speaker cone, that means its a dual coil. Would I have to bi-amp them then? and then just lead of to the met 7's? Or does the nature of how you connect 1 to 1 and 1 to 2 account for all this?

Thanks

sequerra_023.JPG

You would run speaker cable from the right channel of your amp/receiver into the right channel of the sub, then run another set of cables from the sub to your right speaker. Same for the left.

Yeah they are dual coil subs designed as crazy-in-az has said. I ended up with two subs and just ran speaker "A" left channel and speaker "B" left channel to one, same except right to the other to get a little more signal power. It worked fine that way, but will the other way too.

I had the complete pyramid set up until one of the T-1 tweeters went up in flames. The Met 7's tweeters are blown too. The 8W subs are fine. The subs have a built in crossover. When the system was fully functional, it was fabulous. Interested in purchasing the subs? I'm located 60 miles north of San Francisco. PM me.

I used to run my Sequerra sub with a pair of Mission 731s using the Xover built into the sub. I ran only one sub and everything was powered by a Sui 9090db it was a nice setup sounded wonderful. the bass was laid back, discrete not in your face. I still have all the speakers but not the Sui anymore, else I would try them out again.

Ok I've a question about the 8W sub. It looks like 2 sets of leads to the speaker cone, that means its a dual coil. Would I have to bi-amp them then? and then just lead of to the met 7's? Or does the nature of how you connect 1 to 1 and 1 to 2 account for all this?

Thanks

sequerra_023.JPG

It is a dual voice coil woofer and "two sets of leads" allow for running the 8w in 4 or 8 ohm mode.

Last edited:
Thanks Tubed, never saw your response.

Does anyone know what version of the Sequerra's I have, or the history of them from this time, says Model 7 but also says PLC audio. I've figured out the Pyramid Loudspeaker Corp part of it all, but beyond that just curiosity.

I tried these out with a sherwood s8000 III which really just made them sing, could not believe how well it matched up with them.

I'm reviving this on the hopes someone can help me with some info about another subwoofer from Sequerra, the Met 8 MkII's, and a set is available locally. :) Expensive though at $750 (please no follow up discussion on value :))

I have owned both the original Pyramid Metronome system (sub, main speaker, T-1 ribbon tweeter) and the Sequerra system (Met 8, Met 7 and the newer ribbon tweeter).

If you like the Met 7's, grab the Sequerra sub and, if you can find them, the ribbon tweeters. As a system, the combo takes the sound of the Met 7, and provides extension to both ends of the spectrum. The three units combined make a complete speaker.

YMMV.....

Thanks, also noticed the Met 8's are 4ohm and would have to biamp the whole setup, not a problem but a bit limiting on my current vintage gear.

Thanks, also noticed the Met 8's are 4ohm and would have to biamp the whole setup, not a problem but a bit limiting on my current vintage gear.

I ran the whole thing (all three) on the 4 ohm tap of my ARC D-160 (Triode wired KT-90 tubes) and it worked, BUT...the D-160 has HUGE transformers and it handled the (roughly) 2.29 ohms load. Not sure I would try that with many amps.

Bi-amping, or even tri-amping if you get the ribbon, is almost a requirement.

It actually might be a problem, but will run a test tonight with the mets and some 4ohm LINN's that I have. Will turn on the AVR bi-amp function and try that way. Problem being dipping below a 4ohm load on an AVR, granted it's a good one, but still that could be asking alot. Do have pre amp out so could run another amp, but not my preference.

Thanks for your reply's TubeHiFiNut.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom