ADS L-630's

will d

Picked up a pair yesterday from a lady that bought them new, original and only owner. She said she never removed the grills. A fair price and they look like new. Going to hook them up next weekend when I pickup a pair of ADS L690's. The 630's will serve as fronts and the 690's as rears and I have a single ADS L-710 to use as the center channel speaker. An older Denon avr-2000 to power them and an M&K vx-4 sub. The little mancave in the basement is gonna be swingin! And oh yes, I pulled the grills off for their very first time and everything looks excellent. Can't wait for saturday to get here. Is it Christmas already? Now if she only had a vintage Corvette in her garage :) Although she does have the Yamaha 630 receiver she bought I believe with the L-630's (odd). Happy me,,,,,, WILLY D.

Picked up a pair yesterday from a lady that bought them new, original and only owner. She said she never removed the grills. A fair price and they look like new. Going to hook them up next weekend when I pickup a pair of ADS L690's. The 630's will serve as fronts and the 690's as rears and I have a single ADS L-710 to use as the center channel speaker. An older Denon avr-2000 to power them and an M&K vx-4 sub. The little mancave in the basement is gonna be swingin! And oh yes, I pulled the grills off for their very first time and everything looks excellent. Can't wait for saturday to get here. Is it Christmas already? Now if she only had a vintage Corvette in her garage :) Although she does have the Yamaha 630 receiver she bought I believe with the L-630's (odd). Happy me,,,,,, WILLY D.
P.S. There were a pair of ADS L-990's and a pair of ADS L-1090's on craigslist here in Seattle, but both pairs were three times more than what I paid for the ADS L-630's. So as I said before, i'm good. Will D.

P.S. There were a pair of ADS L-990's and a pair of ADS L-1090's on craigslist here in Seattle, but both pairs were three times more than what I paid for the ADS L-630's. So as I said before, i'm good. Will D.
There is a very good reason for the higher prices for the L990's and L1090's.

Yes your right and I knew someone would make that point. In the future if I decide to sell the Maggie's, then I would have a perfect place for a pair of ADS towers. But as it is now, the 630's are what I could afford and what I have the space for. So if that day comes around as to where I find a pair of 1290's or 1590's e.t.c for a deal I can't refuse then i'll have to sell something and make a space for them. I think one day I will own one of those larger models, at least I hope so. Thanks for your response, Will D.

Those 1090s needed some cosmetic work.

Not sure why the L630/730 falls through the cracks but I think they are pretty cool myself.

Pretty good set up you're making! I bet it will sound fantastic!
Oh, when thinking of the larger ADS's, don't forget the 910's!

Not sure why the L630/730 falls through the cracks but I think they are pretty cool myself.
Indeed they did, the 990's looked very nice, but again the price,,-,,,,, I couldn't afford. I'm going to take some pics of these 630's and post them because they are so like new, like a time capsule. And thanks for your response

910's? BUT OF COURSE!!!!!!!! But then i'll have to pay your flight ticket to Seattle to lift them for this OLD MO FO. But hell yea G.D, i'd love a pair. Only time will tell my karma friend, and thanks for the positive words man, i'll get some pics of the 630's, they are almost like new out of the boxes. This is my small system of three in the house and in this room that seats three, I think it will suffice. Remember i'm replacing ADS b-7's & ADS mv-10c & ADS L-300e's. So bigger being better, i'm doing just that. Thanks for responding Glenn,,, you always smooth as silk young brotha man. Will D.

I never did see what those 910s on eBay went for after they reposted. The ad was done yesterday afternoon, but I can't locate it in the "SOLD" listings.
ADDENDUM: Found them. $431

910's? BUT OF COURSE!!!!!!!! But then i'll have to pay your flight ticket to Seattle to lift them for this OLD MO FO. But hell yea G.D, i'd love a pair. Only time will tell my karma friend, and thanks for the positive words man, i'll get some pics of the 630's, they are almost like new out of the boxes. This is my small system of three in the house and in this room that seats three, I think it will suffice. Remember i'm replacing ADS b-7's & ADS mv-10c & ADS L-300e's. So bigger being better, i'm doing just that. Thanks for responding Glenn,,, you always smooth as silk young brotha man. Will D.
Hey Will,
Young?, I wish! I had my son, 22 at the time, help me carry mine to the cave.
Those 4 ADSs will sound superb! Give us a sonic report once it's all set up.
Cheers!

Remember i'm replacing ADS b-7's & ADS mv-10c & ADS L-300e's. So bigger being better, i'm doing just that. Thanks for responding Glenn,,, you always smooth as silk young brotha man. Will D.

I am not sure I subscribe to that Bigger being Better mentality, especially considering the L 630 speakers you are buying, those are not a big speaker, in fact they are about the same size as the L880, they are not a small speaker either for that matter, but getting bigger speakers in a smallish listening environment is the point of diminishing returns, those L300e speakers are very nice for a nearfield setting, and the L630 will be a very good front speaker for your system.

I am not sure I subscribe to that Bigger being Better mentality, especially considering the L 630 speakers you are buying, those are not a big speaker, in fact they are about the same size as the L880, they are not a small speaker either for that matter, but getting bigger speakers in a smallish listening environment is the point of diminishing returns, those L300e speakers are very nice for a nearfield setting, and the L630 will be a very good front speaker for your system.

Willy-D's man-cave would have to be pretty dinky before a pair or 910's, 1290's or 1230's would hit that point of diminishing returns. I'm thinking of going over there and trying to get him excited about a pair of 1590s.
The bigger, the better!

The L990's were not ADS' best effort on the loudspeaker front. It was developed for NAD as the Model 30 which was ultimately built for them by Braun.

As far as the L630, it's in the same gene pool as the L710/1 & L810/1 and the precursor to the L730-L880. Not many of them made as the L710 & L810 got the most traction.

Actually I was kidding about the bigger is better thing. I understand what your saying, basically experimenting with different combinations. Thanks for your response, Will D.

Bigger is better, Willy-D, as long as you have someone else carrying it up and down the stairs. I've been training rigorously at the gym so that I can carry those Maggies out of your basement.

The L990's were not ADS' best effort on the loudspeaker front. It was developed for NAD as the Model 30 which was ultimately built for them by Braun.

Last time I said that I got accused of spreading disinformation and not having heard the speaker. Your experience, working for ADS and knowing them very well and my experience, owning a well bought pair along with my brother's comment 15 seconds into his first listen in my system, claiming "I can't listen to those" and I was set in my belief that the L990's were not ADS' best effort. I did explain I liked the L1030 Braun much more and it would rock and roll.

Last time I said that I got accused of spreading disinformation and not having heard the speaker. Your experience, working for ADS and knowing them very well and my experience, owning a well bought pair along with my brother's comment 15 seconds into his first listen in my system, claiming "I can't listen to those" and I was set in my belief that the L990's were not ADS' best effort. I did explain I liked the L1030 Braun much more and it would rock and roll.

The L990 was a weird deal. It started out as an OEM project for NAD but the project did not conclude even though ADS built/bought inventory for them. I am not even sure the crossover was the one NAD approved or one quickly finalized in order to close out the inventory. The project went to Braun (whom ADS owned) and they did the entire project for NAD. It could be that ADS was too busy to build them; at that time the plant was humming. It could also be that Braun needed the line work more and it would have positioned them as an OEM. That is all speculation but from my limited viewpoint it would jive with other decisions Godehard made.

Back
Top Bottom