ADS L1090 Woofer surrounds

ranukic

Hey,

I bought a pair but recently noticed one of the woofers surrounds has a small rip. I have searched online for a repair kit but I am not having any luck. Is there a universal kit that can be used or does anyone have a suggestion on where to get a replacement kit?

Thanks,

James

You may be able to repair it. Rubber cement or Goop will melt and fuse the rubber together. Use a pin to apply.

Others have recommended liquid insulation for similar repairs.

Hey,

I bought a pair but recently noticed one of the woofers surrounds has a small rip. I have searched online for a repair kit but I am not having any luck. Is there a universal kit that can be used or does anyone have a suggestion on where to get a replacement kit?

Thanks,

James
You can cross reference the exact measurements of inner and outer measurements of the foam and find a good match for them at the website of parts express or simply speakers or the speaker exchange

Thanks embrown057, I had actually just came across his website 3 minutes ago and will reach out to him.

Thank you everyone for the responses.

If your brave enough and have the funds you should look into the crossover/inductor recap upgrade. If you do please don't use the "budget caps". I would say if your budget is tight just leave the crossovers alone for now till you can do them justice. I do upgrades for only Polk (SDA only), ADS and Snell. They can made to perform at a very high level rivaling speaker at 5x the cost. You should get Richard to do the mid's and tweets if you can, if they are original they will need it. The last rebuilt set I got from him for a ADS job matched within .5dB, dam good work.

I hadn't even thought about upgrading the crossover capacitors yet. I have a set of HPM 100's that I was going to recap first to see how it changes the sound. I have been recapping stereos for a few years now and am very comfortable with soldering. I always use audio grade capacitors where available. Speakers have always been something that I have purchased after they have been refurbished (surrounds and caps) but I have been interested in getting into working on them as well. This is probably going to push me into that direction.

Would you happen to know how the drivers come out of the enclosure? When I removed the (6) screws the driver was not willing to come out.

Thanks again embrown057, James

The drivers are very difficult to remove, have glue/sealer on the frames. I take out the lower drivers first, don't pry on the wood. I have two modified hook/pullers I attach to the holes and work the driver loose. Then go through the back side applying pressure to the rest of the drivers. It may take some force but that's what it takes. Just be carful not to damage the driver on the way out. The cab may splinter some but that can be addresses easily. The ADS will blow away the HPM100 in every way once there restored.

Thanks embrown057.

Richard So responded and I purchased a new driver plus surround to fix the existing driver. He sent me pictures of how to remove the driver very similar to your description using a hardware hook that I screwed into the open holes of the speaker housing and simply pulled on to remove the woofer.
I should have the parts Wednesday.

Thanks again, James

Back
Top Bottom