ADS L980's

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by GD70, Feb 12, 2017.

1. GD70

GD70 AK Subscriber Subscriber

In the pics I posted in the Freezefest, there's some pics of you and Mike talking to HVHIFI Mike about some headphones. I'm pretty sure you would have heard the Angelica's there, and we all probably talked some as well!

2. GD70

There's no doubt you can feel them. Still getting to know them.

3. GD70

These are excellent speakers! Spent all day listening to them. Except for the 910's, and the Angelica's, these are absolutely stunning sounding.

Old Guy8 likes this.
  4. mike0565

mike0565 ADS speaker nut Subscriber

I knew you would like them Glenn. They're one of ADS' best. Only bested by the big floor standers. They're better than 1290's in my opinion.

5. Mr Owl

Mr Owl AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yea, I did see us in the pics, and yes, I do remember seeing/hearing those Angelica's. That was a fun day - I'm sure we did talk at some point.

6. centsless

centsless Well-Known Member

I am just reading some of these posts and saw this. I never said the 980 sounded bad to me...lol. It did when I got them but the drivers needed redone. Maybe that experience dampened my excitement for them....I don't know. I really liked the sound but it simply didn't do anything for me as far as getting a wow moment. Rather than have them sit here and never listen to them, I sold them to a guy who loves them....but he loves the ADS line and has other models. They are like new and wanted them used....not sitting here collecting dust.

Drugolf likes this.
  7. Drugolf

Drugolf AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well, that's completely centsless!
    Good job.

centsless likes this.
  8. GD70

Quality time with the 980's today. So far, these are outstanding!
    As I type this, I'm listening to Stevie Ray Vaughn with Johnny Copeland - Tin Pan Alley Live at volume! Holy sheeiiittt!
    I'm like four feet from Stevie, his sweat splashing me in the face and in my glass of bourbon! I can hear the guitar amp humming in the back ground when their are gaps!
    Incredibly natural, dimensional, immersive sound. So glad I have these!
    If you ever have the opportunity to get a pair of these, run to them!

9. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

A man how has never heard an ADS that he doesn't love. Well they do have a lot of family sound built in and that makes em pretty good to start with.

We need to know how they sound compared to all those other wooden boxes of different sizes and shapes you have all over the room.

10. Porkloin

Porkloin Oscar Heil Groupie Subscriber

My ADS fetish buddy thinks that my (Richard So refurbed) 3/4 inch tweeter in my 780s (which I believe the 980's have) are a hair nicer than the 1" in the bigger models. This may discount the foil bypass capacitor I've inserted into the mix. My industrial damaged hearing can't tell the difference, but I do prefer the bigger midrange driver of the larger models. You have the best of both worlds.
    Stevie Ray Vaughn's sweat splashing into your face and drink does not paint a pretty picture, by the way. Is that why the fifth row is commonly regarded as the best seat in the house?

GD70 likes this.
  11. MJB1959

MJB1959 Active Member

Been listening quite a bit to mine too today, in fact, I am playing them solo, giving the L880's a rest. Playing some vintage Boz Scaggs, as well as some west coast fusion(Karizma), and some other stuff, I am one happy owner to be sure. I have pretty much stopped looking for new speakers, and take what the speaker gods might offer from here on, like Glen, I have enough speakers, and a lot of good ones at that. The thing that has me fixated even more with my ADS collection is having added a new amp, I went for modern and got the Cambridge Audio CXA 80, which has proven to be a great match, better than I expected it would be.

cxa80-gallery-1.jpg cxa80-gallery-3.jpg

GD70 and mike0565 like this.
  12. chuckworkb

chuckworkb AK Subscriber Subscriber

I had a pair of those speakers and loved them. Great job, they look better than fresh from the factory.

13. Old Guy8

Old Guy8 AK Subscriber Subscriber

MJB,
    I've seen your pics of your L880's stacked on your L980's. I've been running my two sets L880'S stacked since getting second set last summer. I did not invert top set, as is usual practice. That is til today, inverted top set. Appears that the tweeters definitely, to my ears, like to be closer together, just like with stacked Advents. Have no idea why.
    Old Guy

14. mike0565

Looks like we're both happy with the barter Glenn. If I had the room I would have kept them but I'm glad they went to someone who appreciates them. They are head and shoulders above a lot of speakers out there. I'm thrilled with my 1590's on how they look and they sound incredible.

GD70 likes this.
  15. mike0565

That's a good thing to hear how that Cambridge amp plays well with your ADS. I am considering myself buying the Yamaha A-S801 integrated amp to add to my system.

16. MJB1959

MJB1959 Active Member

I guess it might not hurt to try, but I have no complaints as of now.

I wanted the Yamaha AS 801 as well, there were a few in that same category, I went with the Cambridge based on some of the information I had found, I have two Yamaha amps/receivers, and while I like them, I was wanting to try the Cambridge for the 30 day try out from a local store, and I was immediately impressed, and it has broken in very nicely.

17. GD70

Yes, it worked out well for both of us!

18. MJB1959

MJB1959 Active Member

OK, I inverted the L880's today, and toed in the stacks to optimize the the listening quadrant. Having the 10" woofer appx. 4' off the floor and the high frequency drivers all within, o, about 18" of each other, leaving the 12" 980 woofer serving the floor area, the 980's are on metal stands with a tilt, not unlike the old L810 stands that came with my old L810's. I used a rubberized wedge that tilts the 880's forward to perpendicular.
    First impressions are that they do indeed seem to have a bit more involving sound, especially that woofer up high, it seems to encapsulate the mid and high frequencies, while creating a larger plane of low frequencies in the room.
    I'll keep them like this for now, and who knows?

I can't help to think about the MV 80t speakers when I look at these without the covers on.
    214963-ads_mv80t_tower_speakers__mahogany_finish.jpg

sagamore and Old Guy8 like this.