Advent/3 tweeter repair

sross2885

I have a pair of Advent/3's, but one has a broken tweeter. I'm not quite sure why, but I've been looking for parts, and I'm coming up empty. Does anyone know a good source for Advent parts?

I'm guessing I need to replace the coil. The tweeter isn't putting out any sound whatsoever, but the woofer works fine.

Welcome to AK.
Have you removed the tweeter from the cabinet and checked for resistance with a multi meter? The fact that it doesn't put out any sound while installed in the cabinet doesn't mean the tweeter is bad. It could be the crossover. It happened to me with a pair of Advent/1 years ago.

The only place you might find a replacement tweeter is here on Barter Town ($25 annual fee to gain access) or eBay. Advent has been out of business for decades.

The tweeters used in the Advent/2 are also used in the /3. The /2 used two tweeters, but it's the same one.

Last edited:
Welcome to AK.
Have you removed the tweeter from the cabinet and checked for resistance with a multi meter? The fact that it doesn't put out any sound while installed in the cabinet doesn't mean the tweeter is bad. It could be the crossover. It happened to me with a pair of Advent/1 years ago.

The only place you might mind a replacement tweeter is here on Barter Town ($25 annual fee to gain access) or eBay. Advent has been out of business for decades.

The tweeters used in the Advent/2 are also used in the /3. The /2 used two tweeters, but it's the same one.
No, but I do have access to a multimeter. If it's the crossover, what do I do? I'm not new to vintage audio equipment, but I am new to self repair.

The other question I have is how to open it up to get to the crossover. It looks like my only access point is through the hole where the tweeter is screwed in, unless I want to break the foam on the woofer and refoam it.

No, but I do have access to a multimeter. If it's the crossover, what do I do? I'm not new to vintage audio equipment, but I am new to self repair.

I've never seen a /3 in person, but I assume the crossover isn't very complex. The larger Advents had just a single capacitor and possibly a reistor for the tweeter control. If the tweeter has resistance, it's the crossover. Replace the cap and whatever else in there that might be burnt. The caps should be replaced anyway because they are about 45 years old.

The other question I have is how to open it up to get to the crossover. It looks like my only access point is through the hole where the tweeter is screwed in, unless I want to break the foam on the woofer and refoam it.

It looks like there are 4 screws holding the tweeter in place. Remove the srews and disconnect the wires to the tweeter. The woofer should come out the same way. Looks like 4 screws on the woofer also.

I don't know what the backs of those /3 look like, but most Advents have an opening in the rear of the cabinet where a backplate is glued on. This is where the speaker terminals are. Usually, this backplate has the xover on the other side. After you remove the woofer, you should be able to see the crossover at the bottom. The backplate can easily be removed by tapping with the butt end of a screwdriver or a small hammer. After you finish with the recap, just glue it back on. I've used hot glue to do this.

It looks like there are 4 screws holding the tweeter in place. Remove the srews and disconnect the wires to the tweeter. The woofer should come out the same way. Looks like 4 screws on the woofer also.

The woofer is not glued in on a /3 you can access the x-over through that hole for sure. I've actually had 3 pair of these, still have one, and one of them I needed to tighten a binding post on and I don't remember anything unremarkable about that job.

Back
Top Bottom