Advice for good vintage SS preamp to pair with GFA535

gsilliman

Hi,

I'm currently looking around for a solid state preamp to pair with my Adcom GF535 - initially I was interested in a small tube preamp, but as I understand it, the impedance of most/all(?) tube preamps would not match with the GFA535 (original, not series II).

I run primarily all analog, so a built-in phono stage is important - I use a Linn Axis with MM cartridge and a Pioneer 701 reel deck almost exclusively. I will run digital through a second system.

My budget is $500-$600(ish), and I like vintage equipment, so I'm interested in an Audio Research SP7 or Db Systems preamp. Not married to those if there are better suggestions to link with my TT/Amp.

Only have the money to upgrade my pre at this time (currently using my old NAD 3240 as a preamp), but may get a new amp at some point in the future.

Any helpful suggestions welcome - thanks

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a tubed preamp out of hand. The impedance matching issue tends to be a bit overblown at times.

I run a low impedance vintage tubed preamp to a big Classe amp that has input impedances not quite as high as yours (100 kohm), but close (75 kohm). And it sounds terrific.

But at $5-600, you are probably better off looking at SS units. Any good tubed preamp of quality in good running order, especially with a phono stage, is going to cost more than that.

For sand boxes, I always had a soft spot for the older Threshold pre-amps, if you want something that sounds like tubes but isn't.

Luxman C1000 or C1010. Designed by Tim deParavicini in the 70's Lots of bells and whistles, but with a super-clean signal path and a wonderful phono stage.

that adcom amp is 'tubeish' sounding - IMO

you could double down with a tube preamp otherwise I would shop around for a very neutral SS pre. sometimes less is more with audio

Get an Adcom GFP 555! It has a nice 90 dB s/n phono section with an MM/MC switch and three choices of capacitance, two inputs, two tape monitors, an effects loop, even separate record/listen functions. They are about half of your budget and come up on Ebay regularly...

I just recently put a Marantz 7T into service in an all-vintage system here. I thought it sounded pretty darn good, but my wife has been raving about it. I'll probably have to keep it in service forever. The only alterations I made were to bypass the output switching stuff and replace the electrolytic output coupling caps with Teflon films (old Tektronix surplus).

Last edited:
Just curious if there's something specific 'bout the NAD preamp section that's not "doing it" for you ?
I ask because there's some good sounding NAD preamps that are said to have respectable phono sections in 'em.
And something like their 1000s/106 preamps come w/XLR outs so that would give you even more amp options later on.

I ran my Adcom GFA-535 Mk1 (bipolar) and GFA-5200 (mosfet) amps with my Kenwood Basic C1 and both those amps sounded very nice with that preamp.
And that Kenwood preamp is said to have a good phono section in it as well,and for what you got you could afford to completely go thru it too.

Then there are a slew of other preamps...
Apt Holman,Yamaha C4,yadda,yadda,yadda.
Everyone has their favorites,so I'm sure there will be lots of suggestions coming.

HTH

Bret P.

A Nakamichi CA-5 or CA-7 would be another nice-choice SS preamp, if one surfaces, to mate with the 535 amp. That is a nice-sounding amp, ime, and you can throw the specs in the trash. Adcom under-rated its output capability by about 25 watts, some think to give more apparent space between it and the 545. The Nak is vintage-correct for that amp, designed to pair with the Nelson Pass-associated Stasis power amps of the era. They (the Naks) also look pretty with the hood up (ie, off). I know I've seen the 5 pop into Barter Town recently, well within your budget.

Last edited:
Just curious if there's something specific 'bout the NAD preamp section that's not "doing it" for you ?
I ask because there's some good sounding NAD preamps that are said to have respectable phono sections in 'em.
And something like their 1000s/106 preamps come w/XLR outs so that would give you even more amp options later on.

I ran my Adcom GFA-535 Mk1 (bipolar) and GFA-5200 (mosfet) amps with my Kenwood Basic C1 and both those amps sounded very nice with that preamp.
And that Kenwood preamp is said to have a good phono section in it as well,and for what you got you could afford to completely go thru it too.

Then there are a slew of other preamps...
Apt Holman,Yamaha C4,yadda,yadda,yadda.
Everyone has their favorites,so I'm sure there will be lots of suggestions coming.

HTH

Bret P.
Bret - thanks for the reply. That's a fair question - honestly, I like the NAD, it's been good to me over the years, but I'm looking for a bit of a change. I'm hoping/assuming something the likes of the ARC SP7 or the DB systems preamps I mentioned would be more revealing - looking to get the most out of my source. Not getting rid of the NAD - that's going to the all-digital set up.

Great - thanks for the suggestion. I wondered about the Nakamichi preamps - loved their stuff when I was in high school but couldn't afford it back then. I'll check out the ones you mentioned - I like the idea no tone controls.
A Nakamichi CA-5 or CA-7 would be another nice-choice SS preamp, if one surfaces, to mate with the 535 amp. That is a nice-sounding amp, ime, and you can throw the specs in the trash. Adcom under-rated its output capability by about 25 watts, some think to give more apparent space between it and the 545. The Nak is vintage-correct for that amp, designed to pair with the Nelson Pass-associated Stasis power amps of the era. They (the Naks) also look pretty with the hood up (ie, off). I know I've seen the 5 pop into Barter Town recently, well within your budget.

I loved my Acurus L10 preamp, when I had it. Krell designed, and a true taste of high end. Very clear sounding, that creates a nice holographic image. I'm sorry that I ever sold it. I thought I was going to upgrade, and that didn't work out. Look for an Acurus RL11, if you want remote control?

Thanks for all the suggestions - based on my thoughts going in and suggestions received thus far, I'm deciding between the DB Systems and the Nakamichi CA-5 preamps. Both seem pretty simple/straightforward, which is what I am looking for

No love for the Adcom GFP-565? Supposed to be a great pre. Should play well with Adcom amps, and should be available well under your budget used.

No love for the Adcom GFP-565? Supposed to be a great pre. Should play well with Adcom amps, and should be available well under your budget used.
Nothing inherently wrong with any of the Adcom preamps -or- pretuners,so yeah they too are indeed an option.
Me,I prefer the Adcom preamps/pretuners that have a dedicated EPL (external processor loop).

So i personally dont much care for the units with the record/listen input selector arrangement (like the GFP-565 has).
That's despite the fact that the GFP-565 is conidered their "flagship" preamp,it's just not my personal favorite.

But that's just my pet-peave on that situation,,,so folks should make their own judgement on that deal.
I like the units with the dedicated/switchable EPL because I tend to prefer having an EQ handy in case I want to adjust the SQ some.
And for a lot of other folks that's just not a concern,so for them that would hardly be an issue.

Anyhow I ran my GFA-535 Mk1 & GFA-5200 with both a GTP-450 and a GTP-502 and both amps sounded very good with those pre-tuners.
And an added bonus was both those pre-tuners have remotes as well,and when paired with a ACE-515 they are a 1 button press & play affair.

I do have a GTP-500 Mk1 that has that record/listen input selector set-up,and I use it in the kitchen as I only use FM the tuner as a source.
That way in order to use the EQ I dont have to mess with changing inputs via the record knob,and like that it does'nt bother me as much.

Have'nt used it with any of my Adcom amps though (LOL)...
I use that GTP-500 Mk1 pretuner with a AudioSource AmpTwo & AudioSource EQ-100 and some JBL 52t speakers.

If I were looking for a GFP I'd probably be looking for a GFP-710 -or- GFP-715 as they both have the dedicated EPL and remotes.

But I digress...

Bret P.

Not sure if you'll be able to locate one within budget, but the Carver C-16 is IMHO his best. But if looking for simplicity this is most likely not the pre for you.

1876779-carver-c16-preamplifier.jpg
c16.jpg.68caaa5b09e83867a723798cb0946b26.jpg

The Adcom SLC-505 passive preamp works well in this SS system of mine... the amp cannot really be seen but is a GFA 2535

IMG-0544-Copy.png

Back
Top Bottom