[Advice needed] Newbie to TT's. Beginning with a Sony PS-X70

95% isopropyl and a little WD40 worked a treat. up/down now works. The worm gear shaft was basically seized. took the drive out, clips off and gave it a good clean as well as the cam gearing. Seems much better now...

haven't gotten as far as auto start, but we've made much process. Will update with new questions and successes.

It's almost like ya'll have done this before :)

So it's going! Only current 'mechanical' drama is that the auto return engages too early... any ideas on how to rectify that. (yes, I'll begin searching myself as well). The good thing is that the auto return works! as well as the start (although it drops the needle just shy of the record edge...

so I'll try and fix the return first and then play with the start.

After a bit of perusing through the manual, it seems that in order to adjust the return mech, I need a test disc? It would seem I can get the voltage done with a ruler etc, but I'm not sure where to go from there. Any help would be great!

Last edited:
Yep, downloaded the service manual from TVE. Did the 1st two steps of the return adjust (got both voltages right, no small feat when I'm missing my MM clips.

now the return does not function at all, and the next two 'steps' in the adjust procedure require a test disc which I do not have.

Suggestion?

Last edited:
Just plugged it in for the first time (remember, a newbie here). After setting it up according to the instruction manual (and remember unknown headshell and stanton 6800ee cart).

Sound is only out of the right speaker and very distorted/muffled. How would you begin to diagnose this? is the a how2 on here of deductive turntable diagnosis?

I think here is a position adjustment that you should be able to do with an LP for the 12" disc for both set-down in the middle of the lead-in area and for the end-of-play detection. This TT does not have disc detection otherwise, it will try to play the mat without a record in place.

Still having a little trouble with the Auto return, but will 'return' (pun intended) to it when I get a chance.

I did try and plug it in. And got very low volume sound, the thing is, after some fiddling, I found that my phono inputs on my Akai AA-550 are shot (the RCA's residing in the aux input and working fine don't work in the phono inputs)... I'm heading over to the vintage board to get some advice there...

so for now I'm at an impasse.... But as a piece of advice, what sort of cart will be best for that (there's no MM/MC switch). Will the cheap red elliptical work ok?

thanks again for the help!

Red Ed's a good lo-budget 'starter' cart (get the elliptical) until you figure out your direction and priorities. Plenty of time for that, you have your "lifetime keeper" turntable now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom