Advice needed on an AV unit: makes and how much do I really need to pay?

Pity. Well, Visions prices are not carved in stone. I've had some pretty good deals from them. Never hurts to ask.

Indeed. If you have no need of all the latest bells and whistles there is little need to buy new. I bought a used Yamaha RX-V1700 for $1 per pound.

I bought my rx-a730 at 2001audio, you could call them for availability of the aventage line. I like it a lot. I has plenty of power to run 5 speakers for TV or movies. No issues so far.

Have had the Yammy 740 for two years now, and ridden hard for those two. It has not missed a beat!

This topic has been discussed in detail and a search some of the forums will support this POV.

The "Aventage" series provides a longer warranty than most AVR's.

Personally, I think the sweet spot is between $400 to $600 in Cnd funds for a decent buy. IMHO

Q

Last edited:
Well, Vision is certainly a place to watch.
I had not considered using the pre out as a workaround. I will definitely try that out! Thanks for the suggestion!

Well, I do have pre out for the center channel. I can test that with one of my big amps, but if I want to use the pre out I am going to have to come up with a small (and cheap) amp that will fit in the available space

No joy. The static/interference occurs when I use a 2nd amp and the pre out. So whatever the problem is it is in front (schematically) to the pre out. sigh

they only sell the "V" line....
Try Topchoice in Vaughan. They have that i think. Close to my house...
You can also try calling Audio one on steels as well.
Both these places are good at auditioning and take their time.
They are flexible in pricing as well.

Try Accessories4Less. They sell warrantied refurb'd A/V receivers, including the Yamaha RX-A series. And they appear to offer shipping to Canada. I bought my Yamaha RX-A3030 through them, and have been completely happy with it!

Good luck.

Try Accessories4Less. They sell warrantied refurb'd A/V receivers, including the Yamaha RX-A series. And they appear to offer shipping to Canada. I bought my Yamaha RX-A3030 through them, and have been completely happy with it!

Good luck.
They only sell stuff in US. No international shipping. As far as I know. It would be awesome if they could have a local supplier here. I like their prices. But for canadians, A4L appears like a forbidden fruit only... want to have it but can't have it

They only sell stuff in US. No international shipping. As far as I know. It would be awesome if they could have a local supplier here. I like their prices. But for canadians, A4L appears like a forbidden fruit only... want to have it but can't have it

That's only true for specific items, which will be marked as US Shipping Only. Any thing else can be shipped to Canada.

As a Test, I added a Yamaha RX-A2060 to my shopping cart. When entering my ship to address, Canada was a option, as a ship to country. So, I would think the OP could buy from A4L, is so desired! :biggrin:

OK. I finally found it. When you select an item to look at, there's a number of description tabs to look at, like "Description", "Specifications", etc. One of the tabs is "Shipping". Under the Shipping tab, the Yamaha receivers list the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico, as ship to countries! So, hop to it and order!!!

OK. I finally found it. When you select an item to look at, there's a number of description tabs to look at, like "Description", "Specifications", etc. One of the tabs is "Shipping". Under the Shipping tab, the Yamaha receivers list the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico, as ship to countries! So, hop to it and order!!!
Good to know. Will try... awesome!

Are you willing to check out eBay? This example is a little on the older side, being from '09, but due to the support of the TrueHD and DTS-HD MA codecs, and support for HDMI audio decoding, it's still up-to-date by current standards, plus you're getting what was originally a nearly $500 piece of kit for $119.53 once the shipping is worked in. Also, due to being top-end at the time before you get into the ES line, this unit has a ton of inputs.

Sony STR-DN1000: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-STR-DN1000-7-1-Channel-110-Watt-Audio-Video-Receiver-Bundle-w-Remote/112407580828?_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=a05afcf1d5c745e89594ef12a376fe90&pid=100675&rk=2&rkt=15&sd=142356086212&_trkparms=pageci%3Af247aff6-3bab-11e7-bd31-74dbd180c449%7Cparentrq%3A1ae06db415c0aa11ec52f292ffff597f%7Ciid%3A1

So - Who makes decent gear these days? What kind of money am I looking at? Any recommendations?

Have you tried to possibly find a solution to fix the problem with your current receiver? As it's a pretty well built piece of equipment. If your wanting a well built good sounding receiver that is pretty much plug and play with there very well known ARC system, consider the Anthem line of receivers they are pretty well regarded and can often be found second hand at reasonable prices.

Audiofreak71

Back
Top Bottom