1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on 5+ channel class d amp

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by jadobbins77, Apr 20, 2017.

1. jadobbins77

jadobbins77 New Member

Hey folks. Looking for input for a good multi channel class d amp. Google searches result in an endless supply of automotive amps, but virtually nothing for home theater. I know that the Pioneer Elite receivers have used class d for years, and are pretty good, however IMO they are unsightly. Prefer an amplifier over AV receiver for more input flexibility as technology progresses. Currently running 5.1 with a Yamaha RX-V481, sounds fine but room is very large and need something that will push at least 100 watts per, all channels powered. Searching for class d for lower overall consumption, lower temp, and hopefully more compact than AB units. Lastly, hope to stay below $1000, I am OK with used.

2. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

Haven't looked into multichannel switching amps too much. I know Rotel made/makes some that I think used the ICEpower modules. Maybe that's a possibility, something like RMB-1077 or relatives.

3. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

Also, a quick look shows ATI has a relatively new line of multichannel amps based on Hypex Ncore. Fairly new though so a used unit within your budget probably hard to come by.

There are probably any number out there, just not too familiar with them. I use a stack of four 2-ch amps in my HT, which is the antithesis of what you're looking for.

4. jadobbins77

jadobbins77 New Member

Thanks whoaru99. There are currently a Rotel RMB-1565 on the bay and a RMB-1085 from US Audio Mart, both listed around $550 that might fit the bill. Specs look nearly the same for both, but the 1085 is very slim package. Anyone have experience with either of these amps?

5. E.Auer

E.Auer Well-Known Member

Marantz has slimline AVR's. Dont know what class.

My Pioneer Elite VSX-44 disappears in a bookshelf, just a plain satin black box.

Smaller than my 1978 Nikko 716 :)

I like the sound and features of the Pioneer a lot.
    Barely gets warm too.

Coming home an turning on music, selecting what to listen to all from the Pioneer App on my phone is a good thing.

Eric

6. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

7. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

I have an old Parasound 5 channel. Build like a tank. Not sure of the specs. HCA-xxxx series.

They have these in the newer stuff, price could be an issue
    http://www.parasound.com/a51.php#

8. Audiofreak71

Audiofreak71 Well-Known Member

I used to own a Pioneer Elite SC09 I believe it used the same class D amps that Bello Canto used, it was a great sounding unit for home theater had plenty of juice at 200 real wpc was over 80lbs but found it less than stellar for 2ch listening though. I know there older but there very well made receivers back when they still made them good so might be able to get one fairly cheap.

Audiofreak71

9. prisoners

prisoners AK Subscriber Subscriber

I owned an Integra 5 channel class D for awhile. Traded it in when I downsized the HT rig towards some 2 channel gear. It's still at the store, PM me if interested and I'll get you the name of the shop.