Advice Recapping Hitachi SR-8010

Can I measure these with my DMM?
No. You need a capacitor tester or one of those MEGA328 (or equivalent) testers.
If you mess with any of this stuff very often, you should check out one of those MEGA328 testers. They are very inexpensive and can test caps, diodes, transistors, resistors, coils, etc.

Reactions: mbz
My 2 cents on recapping.
Only replace electrolytics. You should also consider replacing the polar tantalum.
Check any fusible resistors and replace bias and dc offset trimmers with multi-turn types.
Yes, replace known problematic transistors. Wait for someone more knowledgeable on tuners for recap advice.

Replace 4 main filters with 6800/63V Nichicon KW
Use Nichicon PW for other power supply caps.
Nichicon EP for bi-polar power supply caps
Nichicon ES bipolar audio path
Nichicon KL for low noise/leakage in preamp/phono stage, to replace those orange/pale green...
Some prefer to use MKS2 film
Elna silmic II's for audio path and local power storage, Nichicon KZ is ok substitute

The 2sc458LG (rectangular/out-house shape) is problematic, replace with KSC1845.
Ok, I went through a lot of the caps and found replacements now, but I ran into a few issues: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rNdnM-I9hJffkpRe2fKTe_7bDzl3xGh2I5wUF_mR5Rk/edit#gid=0

I couldn't find a Nichicon KL that would match 47uf/6.3V.
I also don't know what types of capacitors to get for c2xx, c3xx, c5xx, and c9xx

I really appreciate the help you have given me so far. Getting pretty close now.

I couldn't find a Nichicon KL that would match 47uf/6.3V.
Always ok to go up in voltage. This corresponds to the safe working voltage, caps will have a surge rating that is slightly(10-20%?) higher.
The dielectric will begin to breakdown when this voltage is exceeded and the cap will probably explode if sustained exposure.
You can use 47uf/10V, 16V, 25V, generally the lower voltage caps are not as good as indicated by the esr/tan delta spec. I'd go for
KL 47/25V or 47/16V.

I also don't know what types of capacitors to get for c2xx, c3xx, c5xx, and c9xx
Try to work it out yourself, If I provide a list you will learn nothing. The service manual is quite good showing the audio path with red arrows. Also, have a look
at what's currently installed. The small orange or maybe pale green caps in the phono are low noise, replace them with Nichicon KL or wima MKS2 if space.
If the cap is in the audio path then the options are KL, MKS2 or elna silmic II(if not low noise). If the cap is for local power supply/connected to a voltage rail
then something like elna silmic II or nichicon FG or... I will let others advise on caps for the tuner section.

Try to work it out yourself, If I provide a list you will learn nothing. The service manual is quite good showing the audio path with red arrows. Also, have a look
at what's currently installed. The small orange or maybe pale green caps in the phono are low noise, replace them with Nichicon KL or wima MKS2 if space.
If the cap is in the audio path then the options are KL, MKS2 or elna silmic II(if not low noise). If the cap is for local power supply/connected to a voltage rail
then something like elna silmic II or nichicon FG or... I will let others advise on caps for the tuner section.

Spent a lot of time looking at the diagrams, here is what I came up with:
c1xx is radio, because it is directly after antenna
c2xx is radio
c3xx is radio, because it is before the leak filter
5xx is audio because it looks like the preamp is going into it
Guessing c902 is audio because it is around the speaker output. This one is the hardest for me to follow in the diagrams

The 900 series has a lot of LED's and an IC, probably a display driver, ie, the light show. C902 looks like a local power storage
for the IC. Not audio path, A Nichicon PW would be fine. Agree with your notes C1xx etc...

The 900 series has a lot of LED's and an IC, probably a display driver, ie, the light show. C902 looks like a local power storage
for the IC. Not audio path, A Nichicon PW would be fine. Agree with your notes C1xx etc...
Thanks for the help!
Ok, I have all capacitors besides the tuner section picked out now.
I still need to test all of the fuse resistors, I will do that quickly this weekend.

I think I just need help with the tuner now!
Will also get that tantalum taken care of.

Back
Top Bottom