Age and your satisfaction with your Main Rig

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by ehoove, Mar 7, 2016.

1. The dog in your member photo appears to be zoning out to some tunes via headphones... I wonder what s/he is listening to?

2. Mamrak1

Mamrak1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

This past year I made a wholesale change to my system. All the factors seemed to come together. I am in my sixties and I have had a few surgeries to my back. I can't be jerking around with heavy tube gear any longer. I wanted to make this a final change. (yeah right!)

Anyway, I now have a new McIntosh amp and preamp, a vintage tuner, a new CD player, power conditioner and cabling and finally, speakers. I am definitely lighter in the wallet but my system is the best it has ever sounded.

Wildcat and superdog like this.
  3. Ds2000

Ds2000 All About every cool stereo component. Subscriber

With what I have, I'm not tempted to upgrade. Age: 48.

Alobar likes this.
  4. Rockyhill

Rockyhill 148 State Street Subscriber

I'm 60. My main rig is actually 2 systems in the same cabinet. I'm at a point now where I'm just tweaking things (considering a miniDSP 2x4 HD to fine tune a sub and use as a DAC for a couple CCA's). I like what I hear. Probably going to retire within 6 years. As this is in a bedroom/office there's no TT; if we move post retirement my listening room will have a new TT (I have one in another room but I never use it).

5. rkgren1

rkgren1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Age 58, and happy as can be with everything I have.
    That doesn't mean that I won't attempt to upgrade things now and then when the opportunity arises.

6. Cogito

Cogito Well-Known Member

A 52 y/o Grampy. My current electronics will probably be my last, unless they fail or something evolutionary comes about and makes them completely obsolete. As for loudspeakers... My current ones are fantastic (That's why I bought them), but I'm a sucker for a fine pair of speakers and I tend to switch things up just for the hell of it every 2-5 years.

7. E-Stat

E-Stat Super Member

60 and feel thoroughly spoiled with my systems: the Sound Lab stats in the treated music room, Acoustat 1+1 stats as mains in the HT, along with the garage and in-house system for the office, kitchen, sun room, dining room, living room and deck out by pool. All having access to the LMS based music server and TIDAL.

8. roadie1

roadie1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Amen brother!
    r1

9. roadie1

roadie1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm 59 and holding. My main rig?
    A Krell S-550-i (though I'm looking hard at the Rega Elicit-R)
    A pair of Harbeth C7s'
    And a TEAC PD-H600.

Everything else is neatly stored away. I don't like knowing I have speakers and amps that others could use so they'll be sold or given away eventually.

10. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

29 ... :rolleyes:.....60
    Perfectly happy with what I have.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  11. Wildcat

Wildcat Spring ain't here... Subscriber

I should tell myself this, so I can be motivated to get rid of a lot of what I have piled in the basement.

12. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

67 here. Bought my Sansui AU719 / TU717 in 1980. It did everything I wanted back then, and for the 37 years I've owned it. Changed speakers a few times, but coupled to my Khorns, it's all I'll ever need.

13. onepixel

onepixel .

Turning 59 and I look forward to a new surfboard.