Aiqin/Oldchen Tube Amps

Does anyone know how these compare with the Musical Paradise MP-301 MKIII? in terms of build and sound quality? I have one and like it a lot. Just wondering if anyone has experience with both.

http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=54

That's a headphone amp isn't it? They're not really comparable. Both Oldchen amps are higher powered at 10W for the single ended amp and 45W for the push/pull version.

On the other hand the Oldchen amps use point to point construction va circuit boards on the Musical Paradise. If you don't use headphones the Oldchen amps would be a better choice as they should last longer.

Last edited:
Ok, this preamp tube change made a very large improvement. Better sound stage and more tube like. The cheap Reflektor 6H8C tubes were holding it back. 2x Shuguang CV181-Z and 1x RCA 6F8G has taken the amp well beyond my MC10T in terms of sound stage, detail, bass, open airy treble and has taken away the solid state sound that the Reflektor 6H8C tubes created. 3x CV181-Z also sounded amazing though the 6F8G just looks cooler ;)

IMG_20170811_180312.jpg

Just ordered the Aiqin EL34 deluxe edition. Haven't had any experience of tubes before apart from when my dad built valve radios back in the 60s.
It will be driving a pair of Klipsch Cornwall III speakers. They should be able to put out a reasonable volume due to their 102 dB sensitivity. I was going to buy the Douk audio EL34 DIY kit and build it myself but then saw the Aiqin for just $40 more. Easy decision and the Aqin looks much better.Now just got to wait for delivery.

Just ordered the Aiqin EL34 deluxe edition. Haven't had any experience of tubes before apart from when my dad built valve radios back in the 60s.
It will be driving a pair of Klipsch Cornwall III speakers. They should be able to put out a reasonable volume due to their 102 dB sensitivity. I was going to buy the Douk audio EL34 DIY kit and build it myself but then saw the Aiqin for just $40 more. Easy decision and the Aqin looks much better.Now just got to wait for delivery.

Pick up a pair of NOS 6P3S-E coinbase tubes, Melz 6H9C signal and a 5U4GB rectifier tube. Sound doesn't really get better from there ;)

Last edited:
I did the same thing. I found one for a few dollars more for fully assembled and went that rout. I am driving a pair of Tekton Lore's 96db with mine and it is more than enough power for my 15x35 room. Nor only is there enough power but it sounds great too...

I did the same thing. I found one for a few dollars more for fully assembled and went that rout. I am driving a pair of Tekton Lore's 96db with mine and it is more than enough power for my 15x35 room. Nor only is there enough power but it sounds great too...
You and JNWF see my posts earlier in this hanging on thread. The mods/upgrades are well worth it.

It arrived today!!!!! I can't believe how good drums sound now. It is plenty loud as well. Can't quite shake the whole house (I need the Marantz for that) but it comes close.
I will play around with different tubes eventually but I am more than happy just to enjoy listening for a while first

Yes. They're fantastic amps. I'd love to pair mine with Klipsch Cornwall III's someday. It'd be glorious.

I downloaded the CCA app on my tablet and cast from the tablet ( or phone ) to the CCA:

CCA ( via mini optical to standard optical cable ) -> DAC -> amp -> speakers

Since the CCA has it's own DAC you can use it but it won't sound quite as good as a stand alone DAC. Try it first and see what you think.

The CCA comes with a mini 3.5 cable but will require a 3.5 to RCA adaptor cable to use with the amp if you use the CCA's internal DAC. The CCA has one output port which accepts either the 3.5 cable or mini optical.

Don't want to side track this thread but the CCA is beyond incredible. Every AK member needs one whether they know it or not. I'll buy my third one today for $30 at BB when they price match Walmart.

Heh... way ahead of you ! And I still need two or three more :)

index.php

BTW, for interested parties: I had a lot of trouble with 'Chromecast Audio Stuttering' until I ditched my Android phone and bought a Google Nexus 10 expressly for CCA. The point being that my (LG Android) phone was not specifically 'optimized' and it made all the difference with a device that is. The cost of a dedicated device is trivial compared to what most of us spend on our audio systems, and (in my case at least) it was money very well spent. The list:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6293749

Heh... way ahead of you ! And I still need two or three more :)

index.php

BTW, for interested parties: I had a lot of trouble with 'Chromecast Audio Stuttering' until I ditched my Android phone and bought a Google Nexus 10 expressly for CCA. The point being that my (LG Android) phone was not specifically 'optimized' and it made all the difference with a device that is. The cost of a dedicated device is trivial compared to what most of us spend on our audio systems, and (in my case at least) it was money very well spent. The list:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6293749

Wow! No wonder they were sold out at Best Buy :thumbsup:

Apologies for the potentially dumb question, but can you run powered studio monitors with one of these tube amps? I've been using some cheap M Audio Bx5a monitors with my current setup which sounds fine but not great and was wondering if them being powered would kill the amp. The plan is to replace them at some point but the amp situation is more pressing...

Unless the Bx5a's have a dedicated passive input, then no they can't be powered by a separate amp.

Edit: and It's just a question, if people don't ask then people don't learn no matter what level their experience is :thumbsup:

Just had a look at their site and the speakers, and no possibility to use a separate amp, you will have serious problems it it is attempted. Even if they were passive and not active I doubt the low powered Oldchen SEP amp could drive them properly.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response! Any LOW BUDGET speaker suggestions you would recommend with this amp? I know people seem to love Klipsch but I've never had any experience with them...

Thanks for the response! Any LOW BUDGET speaker suggestions you would recommend with this amp? I know people seem to love Klipsch but I've never had any experience with them...
Where are you based? What sort of budget are we looking at, but of course second hand would be the go once you narrow down the choices.
Though you are looking to use the Oldchen SEP so they need to be fairly efficient. You could do what mjw21a has done in one of his systems, He used some old speaker cabs and fitted them with these I think https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ps220-8-8-point-source-full-range-neo-driver--295-346

So if you grabbed a pair of those and grab an old decent vintage speaker cabs that did originally use 8" drivers the fitting won't be too difficult.

I might not be much help here as I'm in Australia, and don't have a lot of experience with what might be available there on the secondhand market, and my experiences are limited in this area. Maybe look at what others are running with there Oldchen SEP's

Im in AZ and probably wont want to spend more than $250 on speakers at this point. Those Daytons look like a pretty interesting idea though... I'll have to keep my eyes peeled on the used market for some decent cabs. Thanks again for the input!

Check out Audio Nirvana as well. I have a pair of their Classic 8 drivers and they are excellent. They are about the same price as the Daytons. AN has a lot of other options too.

Back
Top Bottom