Air Guns

I've only seen the traveling projectile once, a 45-70.
Understood as you previously stated, and appreciated.:)
Once a fair shooter, not so much anymore, my FWB 300S mini is the only pellet shooter that might let me see the projectile if I could, shy of the Sheridan which is out of service.

The Hatsan sounds like a winner, the air supply somewhat an obstacle for value.
Thanks for sharing your experiences for perspectives on practical airgunning!

That explains a lot, I am no longer a candidate for the hand pump due to being physically unqualified by age.
Please watch Ted.

Also consider my comments about the Hill/Air venturi MK IV pump, it truly is only half the effort of other pumps.

Another factor, choosing a gun that only requires a 2000 psi/140 bar fill pressure translates to MUCH reduced pumping effort. Also the effort in pumping stacks or increases with increasing reservoir pressure, it only gets stout near the end of the fill.

Here's Ted's youtube channel, his videos are very enjoyable for any air gun interest level: https://www.youtube.com/user/EdgunUSA/videos

Last edited:
I've only seen the traveling projectile once, a 45-70.
Understood as you previously stated, and appreciated.:)
Once a fair shooter, not so much anymore, my FWB 300S mini is the only pellet shooter that might let me see the projectile if I could, shy of the Sheridan which is out of service.

* Check out https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org aka GTA
It is the AK of airguns. There are so many knowledgeable people there, and with totally focused skill sets. You might just get that plinker back to new shape.
You might need to join to see all of the sub-forums. If you join, they make you post an introduction before you're allowed free roaming. But, the resource is immense, and the forum activity is like here, always something going on.

* correction edit:
I incorrectly linked to a different forum in my original post. This is the one I had intended to link to www.gatewaytoairguns.org
Sorry for confusion.

Last edited:
After doing a lot of seller searching and reviewing of a good # of youtube reviews and target shot videos, I am starting toward leaning in the direction of the Benjamin/Crosman Marauder .177. Some say that that caliber is no good for hunting, but I know from experience that they are quite capable of dropping a squirrel quite well. I don't really expect to do much, if any, hunting. I think that mostly my prey will be pine cones and other related targets. The real deal will be getting a good quality scope and make a decision on how I am going to fill it. Somehow, at my age, I can't see myself with a hand pump, except maybe for away from home use. I have two steel scuba tanks and plenty of local scuba shops. I need to do the math after considering the tank certification and inspection cost and the cost of the small tank for filling or a setup to fill directly to the gun from the scuba tank. All of this stuff plus the regular cost of refilling the tanks when they get below 2000psi is going to add up real fast. It might even be in competition with an electric pump. I think it comes down to paying now or paying over time. I have a lot of homework and thinking to do.

I am starting toward leaning in the direction of the Benjamin/Crosman Marauder .177. Some say that that caliber is no good for hunting, but I know from experience that they are quite capable of dropping a squirrel quite well.
There were problems with the .177 and .22 cal barrels, Crosman made them. Early .25 cal M-rods used a Walther barrel. Internet lore now suggests the .25 cal barrel is made by Green Mountain. A good long time friend of mine bought a new .22 M-rod a few years ago, it was a lemon out of the box, and would not shoot a sub 1 inch group at 25 yards regardless of the pellet used.

All that said, i still shoot a factory Crosman barrel on my Discovery, and it's a tack driver to 40ish yards. I also have a variety of different length Crosman made barrels for my Crosman 1322 pistol and enjoy very similar results.

I really enjoy the custom aspects of this hobby, and how customizing can be done on a sane budget.

These folks offer a world of custom options for the Crosman Discovery(Disco) and 13XX series pistols. With their goods you can start with one of those budget priced platforms, and build up a very nice custom airgun as your budget and interest level dictate/allow. They do full shrouds in kit form, single shot to repeater conversions using the M-rod type magazines. Many parts are available in custom powder coat finishes. My buddy did a shroud and reservoir in blue metallic, it's a beauty. http://www.bnmcustom.com

how I am going to fill it.
Forget about cheap electric compressors, they are pretty much junk. Real high pressure compressors start at around 3 grand, and that's only going to get you to 3500psi.

If you're going to go SCBA, consider 5500psi tanks and 4500 psi fills.

Walter Kidde made an ass load of compressors for the military and civilian consumers, they use the same core as the vintage Kidde scuba compressors.

The military used them for everything,from flame throwers to scuba to the high pressure air supply in the F4 Phantom. You can occasionally pick these up on ebay that have been pulled from military surplus. The handy DIYer can build up a worthy and serviceable HPA compressor good for 3200-3300 psi for well under the normal entry fee for an HPA compressor. The pic below is an example of somebody's build up from a surplus unit.

One note about the example below, a flex coupling should have been used between the motor and compressor to isolate harmonics and negate any alignment issues that will prematurely wear out bearings in motor or compressor.

maxresdefault.jpg

After doing a lot of seller searching and reviewing of a good # of youtube reviews and target shot videos, I am starting toward leaning in the direction of the Benjamin/Crosman Marauder .177. Some say that that caliber is no good for hunting, but I know from experience that they are quite capable of dropping a squirrel quite well. I don't really expect to do much, if any, hunting. I think that mostly my prey will be pine cones and other related targets. The real deal will be getting a good quality scope and make a decision on how I am going to fill it. Somehow, at my age, I can't see myself with a hand pump, except maybe for away from home use. I have two steel scuba tanks and plenty of local scuba shops. I need to do the math after considering the tank certification and inspection cost and the cost of the small tank for filling or a setup to fill directly to the gun from the scuba tank. All of this stuff plus the regular cost of refilling the tanks when they get below 2000psi is going to add up real fast. It might even be in competition with an electric pump. I think it comes down to paying now or paying over time. I have a lot of homework and thinking to do.

Also, peruse the Umarex Gauntlet, if you're looking at that level of plinker. Lots of good words coming out of that camp.
https://www.umarexusa.com/products/umarex-gauntlet

After doing a lot of seller searching and reviewing of a good # of youtube reviews and target shot videos, I am starting toward leaning in the direction of the Benjamin/Crosman Marauder .177. Some say that that caliber is no good for hunting, but I know from experience that they are quite capable of dropping a squirrel quite well.
If the Marauder is even close to the Crosman .177 Predator model there should be absolutely no problem at all dispatching squirrels especially with head shots. Over time I've dusted more of them with my Crosman .177 than the .22, it may have just taken more shots to make a kill. My .177 was (is) so good that the only problem I had was the thirst for something more deadly and horrific to throw at them - a one shot, one kill type of thing. Baby Girl is not a patient sort of soul when it comes to squirrels and when I break and load the barrel she expects the game to drop right then and there.

My old Crosman 2100 .177 (same as 760) has taken a steep toll on the ground squirrels. I finally needed to upgrade to the next caliber when they started staying out at 100'+, at the outskirt edges of the backyard.
The 2100 maxed out at 650fps or so when new. But even at that lolligaggin speed, it took hollow point pellets to keep from going clean thru them.
In my research, I also looked at the Marauder. I saw a video of a guy in Idaho shooting "pot guts", which are a ground squirrel-type rodent that I've seen plenty of in Utah annd Idaho. He was using the Marauder .177 What he was doing to them at 100yds was quite impressive, and left no doubt about what a .177 can do.
So, I had no hesitation going to .177 again, and this time, coming in at 1050fps (claimed).
They seem to have a flatter trajectory, and be less effected by wind as well.

Forget about cheap electric compressors

I get what you are talking about, but a compressor of the type you are suggesting is way out of my cost range, nor do I think I could find a place to stash it. I watch an ebay review of reservoir filling options and when they got to the electric compressor, the model was small enough to be portable, but was still close to 2 grand. A high quality hand pump would be reasonable, to a certain point, but are really a ball buster near the end of the pressure cycle. I still have some research to work on.

As a kid I could put a tin can at the edge of our woods, about 50-60yds, and I was able to plink that can from my window with ease. At first I was not hitting it and then remembered than when shooting on a down angle you need to shoot a touch high. I made my adjustment mentally and shot just a bit high and I started plinking it regularly. I would really love to be able to do that kind of plinking now. I don't want to get anxious at this point and make a choice that isn't well researched.

The 2k.psi air tanks are not hard to fill. I am done in just a couple of minutes on my maintenance fills for the Beeman (I run it between 1400 and 2000psi). That is 45 strokes. From that I'll get twenty good shots, with more possible, but, sloping off from there.
When done pumping, I've never wished that I could do more licks at the pump. But, it is a totally bearable workout, for me. I'm a couple of weeks from 59, and, don't see it as any issue.
There are numerous suggestions of breaking up the pumping cycle, in order to avoid getting the pump hot. So, if I'm tired, and I'll use my days of bucket lifting as example,... I'll break my 45 maintenance strokes into 20 and 25, with a pump cooldown/lung breather in between. But, 45 straight strokes is no issue, keeping in mind, the last 10 will let you know you're getting near the end.

I like the gauntlet's ability to remove the tank and replace it easily with another spare tank that is prefilled. I have seen the info regarding the 2000psi being easier to hand pump, but I also like the higher pellet velocity obtained by the higher psi reservoir, even though it takes more work or devices to reach the 3000psi.

That umarex gauntlet is very much the level of gun I am looking for. Thanks for the link.

You're looking at exactly the range I was just all over.
My main concern with the Gauntlet came from weight. That thing is a beast. It is somewhere like 9lbs without being scoped.
I am absolutely intrigued with its regulator. That, and, the air can is removable, so you can have full backup cans at hand.

Don't dismiss a Beeman Chief in your quest.
It seems like you're interested in a rotary style clip. So, this one might not qualify, as it is a true single shot rifle. It is also a bit loud; but, that can be addressed.
My report started out as not so glowing with mine, as I had a difficult time in getting it sighted. But, now that I've worked out what seems like fairly unique bugs, you couldn't pry it from me.

You also mentioned scopes.
Some folk love certain scopes. I have no real experience to offer, except what I've used.
I have two scopes; a UTG Accushot BugBuster 4-16x44 AO, and, a Winchester Daisy 2-7x32 AO

The UTG is a real nice scope. One of the things that I like most about it is the side turret Adjustable Objective. The Winchester-Daisy is also AO, but, it is adjusted by reaching forward to the front bell, and twisting it around.
The little difference of the side adjustable objective is a big deal! It is so much easier to adjust your focus with a side wheel on that side adjustment turret.
I went with this one, because I was told it let more light in, due to larger diameter.
https://www.amazon.com/UTG-4-16X44-...&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=utg+accushot+bugbuster

This is the no frills version (no illuminated crosshairs), and more compact:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UGIMNQ/ref=sxts_kp_bs_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=8778bc68-27e7-403f-8460-de48b6e788fb&pd_rd_wg=Oco3N&pf_rd_r=AZQ4EHRZFQ341NV537NJ&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B005UGIMNQ&pd_rd_w=yYXJf&pf_rd_i=utg+bugbuster+3-9x32+scope&pd_rd_r=dab8125e-3088-4a7d-a950-730c4d707a36&ie=UTF8&qid=1542075786&sr=1
This version was mounted on a Beeman Chief in a blog report that I followed. That report was by Tom Gaylord, aka, B.B. Pleletier, who is highly regarded elder statesman of air guns.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=sporting&field-keywords=UTG+side+wheel

I was intrigued by the Hawke side adjustabe scopes, with their side wheels, but, they were far out of my budget. Then I found out about these UTG scopes, and, they had side wheels available. Best part: Right in my budget.
So, if you follow the links, look for the side wheels that they'll try to incude as add-ons. Absolutely a slick focus system!
This is the 80mm wheel. That wheel fits the side profile of the scope, without being any taller than the top turret, or lower than the top of the receiver:
41uOXwFBiwL.jpg

Regarding the Winchester-Daisy. It survived about a thousand slams from my Crosman 2100, and it held perfect zero.
It is a $40 dollar scope, adjustable objective, really nice clear glass. This is what I put on the Hatsan, and am looking forward to its use in that capacity.

Last edited:
I like the gauntlet's ability to remove the tank and replace it easily with another spare tank that is prefilled.
Pretty much a standard feature on most Hatsan PCP's. Can be filled on or off the gun.

I see the OP's Flash QE is an exception.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom