AK gatherings are great endeavors!

Reads like the attendees are getting ready for Rick's 2017 Fall Festival of Sound or whatever fancy name it gets.

Aaah yes. $500 amp. $2500 in tube rolling. :D
Been there , done that:dunno:
I've pretty much gotten pieces in place where rolling isn t necesssary:thumbsup:
I would like to get a SS system in place that I enjoy as much as my tubes.
I'm pretty close now:idea:

I would like to get a SS system in place that I enjoy as much as my tubes.
I'm pretty close now:idea:
I have that Nelson Pass-designed Nakamichi (Stasis) PA-7 power amp and to be honest, there was not a huge change going from that to the C-J Premier Eleven tube amp. It was sort of a po' man's Threshold (the schematics for those are very, very similar).

But we digress... :D

It helps the wallet being a great disbeliever in tube rolling. No I don't want you to bring any tubes over to prove me wrong either, that could become expensive.

Actually, that is a great reason to be part of a local audio club or AK gathering. Other members may have tubes that would fit our amps, and it is a good way to compare a few to see what works.

I'm lucky in that there are few tubes in my equipment that I can roll at the moment. The preamp only uses M8080s, because any 6C4s I've tried have been highly microphonic. For the power amp, I'm sticking with KT120s and the Brimar 6FQ7s, but wouldn't mind trying some NOS 5751s as opposed to the new issue Tung-Sols (which actually are quite good). Once I get a tube-based phono stage and Modwright DAC, though, I have a feeling I'll want to hear other tubes. In which case, it's cheaper to host a gathering than buy several different pairs of NOS tubes. ;)

A co-inky-dink! :D I'm actually curious to hear some Raytheon 5751 with the windmill getter. But we're looking at over $100 for a decent pair just to experiment...? I am happy enough with what I have, and may send out the amp next spring to get it refreshed by C-J, and upgraded to the Eleven "A".

5751 is sort of like a 12AX7 (less gain. Not a direct swap but you can generally use)
Not very much like and 6FQ7 though:idea:

5751 is sort of like a 12AX7 (less gain. Not a direct swap but you can generally use)
Not very much like and 6FQ7 though:idea:

12AX7s have too much gain in this instance, and can increase noise. And it's definitely not a 6CG7/6FQ7. ;)

Here is a poster I made for the gathering out here in California. Great fun!

View attachment 999751

Maybe you could make up the artwork?:D
My skills are limited to cutting and pasting existing art.
Nice poster BTW!
I will think on it a little more but short more creative input, we're likely looking at something you've seen before with an AK banner and Mid Atlantic Notation on it somewhere
How about this for the artworkIMG_5509.JPG

Maybe you could make up the artwork?:D
My skills are limited to cutting and pasting existing art.
Nice poster BTW!
I will think on it a little more but short more creative input, we're likely looking at something you've seen before with an AK banner and Mid Atlantic Notation on it somewhere
How about this for the artworkView attachment 999823

Thanks!

Sorry man, I'm not into old guy's armpits. Here is an oldie, but favorite. A version of this also went into Stereophile magazine.

audiokarma_adfinal.jpg

Last edited:
That's Rick thinking "oh my, what did I get myself into?"
Hey Gadget, stay far away from Keven (kve777) if your bound and determined to stay away from tube rolling. He is the great enabler. He is the only guy I know with the Bugle Boy logo tattooed on his forearm. When I saw that, I knew that he is a serious tube junkie. And yes, it can make a wonderful difference when the right tubes are chosen.

BillWojo

Here is an oldie, but favorite. A version of this also went into Stereophile magazine.

At first read I thought you had said "A vision of this . . ."

Nice art! I think that album cover is someone's avatar. Did you do the shoot, or select the angles and composition?

At first read I thought you had said "A vision of this . . ."

Nice art! I think that album cover is someone's avatar. Did you do the shoot, or select the angles and composition?
Thanks! I got the image from Grumpy. The original had a window behind Grumpy's daughter, which I Photoshopped out.

Back
Top Bottom