AK Retiree Club

My reply is the exact opposite of 45's. The poem spoke to me from the past although it spoke more of my Father's past. We often heard my Dad's laments of the pain of inflation. His favorite quote was "When I was a kid, bread was only a nickle a loaf".

My reply is the exact opposite of 45's. The poem spoke to me from the past although it spoke more of my Father's past. We often heard my Dad's laments of the pain of inflation. His favorite quote was "When I was a kid, bread was only a nickle a loaf".
Ditto:thumbsup:

Yikes. I usually call the electric riders “cheaters”, but I’m intrigued by the idea of riding an electric 29’er with mud & snow tires in your conditions if it weren’t so damned cold.
I think my wife would like a ebike if the truth was told

Man I think this is more like grand paws days

Doesn't ring a bell in that case either.

My mother's mother, born 1908, was a full-on flapper.
When she married in 1926, she wore a short purple dress [my sister still has it].
Later in life, she became a civic leader responsible for establishing the local arts center.
She was voted "Woman Of The Year" for three years straight in her town.
Her biscuits came out of a Bisquick box and were absolutely terrible.
For as long as I remember she had one of those signs framed in the kitchen which said "A Clean House Is The Sign Of a Boring Woman".

My mother's father was a "sporting man" who reportedly made very fine bathtub gin and was such a good snooker player that he had to stop playing because his reputation became a health hazard.
I learned from personal experience to never play poker with him because he was a total pro at counting cards.
He always won at Dominos as well.
After he died at age 96, I found a very nasty looking sawed-off 12 gauge shotgun in the trunk of his car.

Last edited:
I'm 55, I walked out of my last job in 2003, it seems like it was only a few years ago. I never made a lot, I just did things different from most people. I saved $, never got into debt like almost everybody else, no credit cards or mortgages and I just got lucky here and there in some life situations. I'm pretty reclusive and just don't spend much. I do sell some stuff like you see in my avatar now and then but I don't consider that work, just a hobby that makes some lunch $ now and then. The obvious is that if a person doesn't have any hobbies, they will be bored and will even prefer to keep going to work and I'd say that's probably a good idea for them. There's the problem of being around the spouse too much also if married, just not used to it haha. Personally I can't imagine being bored, I like music, growing plants, messing with exotic invertebrates, restoring old appliances(esp. old fans), vintage stereo equipment, I may even get a vintage sports car to work on later. I plan to get acreage at a final living destination and planting food plants all over the place, go for the paradise I want to see there. I've been doing that at a project house, I've got avocados, oranges, peaches, apples, figs, Pawpaw trees, loquat, pears, cherry trees, couple of raised beds... but it's a small yard there and I don't plan to live there permanently but I may keep that place. I think a big factor in retirement has to do with a perspective of purpose in life. Master of the obvious talk from me I guess but I like helping people when they need help but I've never felt like I needed to be important to other people for the purpose of some kind of ego feed. I don't want people to depend on me, I want to help others not to depend on me. Maybe what I'm saying is that I think people have trouble retiring when they depend on others depending on them(maybe for some questionable reasons) so retirement feels empty to them.

^ So you were able to retire at 40??? Way to go :) ^

Well I never called it "retirement", I called it, "I resigned and don't know when or if I'd have to go work for somebody else again." So far I haven't needed to. I may buy 2 or 3 rentals, I don't know yet. I got real lucky with this house I bought in 96, Cedar Park Tx has gone a little nutty with the growth factor so I plan to cash this out. I like it here in ways but crazy taxes and the fact the deer are everywhere eating almost anything you plant, well I've had about enough of that, can't grow a whole lot on bedrock anyway.

Well I never called it "retirement", I called it, "I resigned and don't know when or if I'd have to go work for somebody else again." So far I haven't needed to. I may buy 2 or 3 rentals, I don't know yet. I got real lucky with this house I bought in 96, Cedar Park Tx has gone a little nutty with the growth factor so I plan to cash this out. I like it here in ways but crazy taxes and the fact the deer are everywhere eating almost anything you plant, well I've had about enough of that, can't grow a whole lot on bedrock anyway.
So have you lived off investments the last 15 years or been self employed or just haven't worked for the man?

So have you lived off investments the last 15 years or been self employed or just haven't worked for the man?

It's been a few things, some people I used to work with helped me get in the stock market in the 90s, then that computer stuff kicked in. Being single, I dumped paycheck after paycheck in, I did pretty good for a while, then I did really bad all at once when the crash happened:(. There has been fam. money involved more recently in my life, tax-free gift amounts, just for that ...saving on taxes. The magic is having no debt. If it did it over again, I'd start saving earlier than I did and pay cash for home, anything livable as long as I felt safe enough, mobile home, whatever. When I started cranking down, being obsessive about saving, I lived in crackhouse apts for several years just to save. I put black plastic over the windows so it looked like I was never home. When living in such places, I thought I'd try and help some people there. ime, bad idea, most of those people are where they are for a reason, living in crackhouse apts because of CRACK! haha. Their minds are the reason they are where they are, no social guilt there for me! It was a good experience in a way. I do sell now and then things like you see in my avatar.

Scoloheros, the centipede in your avatar, is it real and if so what is it? Thanks.

Yeah that's a real, from South America, rare in the terrarium animal market, they usually go from $300-$500. That one was old and giving up the ghost so I could pick it up at that point.

I've been retired 6 years now ,the 1st year I went berserk from boredom ,I built and installed 6 dormers on the roof of our home ,I stripped the old roofing and put back a standing seam copper roof I hand built using my sheet metal break ,I spent the fall organizing all the wooden ship lap siding to side my house where it would weather grey & stay flat ,the 2nd summer I put new windows in ,poured a new 30x20 slab for the shed I built ,I installed wood siding on my home and sealed it ,bent and installed copper gutters and downspouts ,the 3rd year I built a 32x28 addition on the back of our house which is in the process of becoming my 2nd dedicated listening room ,the 4th year I put roughly 50,000 miles on two of my motorcycles and spent a lot of time listening to music ,this year I've listened to more music than any other time in my life ,after a 15 year break In ,buying ,selling & upgrading my gear I've came back with a vengeance and have bought an entire system plus enough gear to build 2 more systems ,I also put in a new driveway this summer .

I've been able to lavish my time on grandkids while having monthly bbq's all this summer with whichever family & friends could attend ,I'm done doing physical work for money ,we have enough & don't need it ,my goal for this year is to empty out my storage of vintage and modern gear and sell most of it off ,if I break even that's great .

Those with building trades skills wanting to make money the best advice is to watch the HUD foreclosure auctions like a hawk ,buy a $280,000 house for $80,000 ,dump $50 to ,$60,000 into a high end remodel and another $20,000 into landscape curb appeal ,then sell for $290,000 and make yourself $50,000 on the flip .

A buddy of mine keeps telling me to put money in a pot stock called Canopy Crop, I guess it's going crazy but now most of my money is pretty conservative and I doubt my investment woman would be on board with that move.:(

Do it and do it quickly ,I'm Co owner of a medical marijuana non profit Co-op and the cash flow is insane ,I make my money by selling to the co-op ,then every dime we make has to pay salaries and keep free meds for our terminal patients , roughly 20% of my portfolio is in the cannibus markets and I've made some astounding profits ,if your able to grow 5 star buds you can easily earn $100,000 a month as a vendor to the right dispensary ,I'm almost ashamed to say what I took home In January alone from being a vendor to my own non profit and 2 other dispensarys ,believe me it's life changing money ,set yourself up with a flood & drain hydroponics system and grow single cola sea of green ,I run 4 tables that pull 7lbs of primo every 2 weeks until I get backlogged on product like I am now ,then I shut down 2 tables and harvest once every month ,FYI folks I'm a licensed grower and pay taxes on all income .

Not everyone can make what I make every month but even a small time grower can make $10,000 a month if he can grow 5 star strains that can be tested with 20% THC or higher and zero mold .

Do it and do it quickly ,I'm Co owner of a medical marijuana non profit Co-op and the cash flow is insane ,I make my money by selling to the co-op ,then every dime we make has to pay salaries and keep free meds for our terminal patients , roughly 20% of my portfolio is in the cannibus markets and I've made some astounding profits ,if your able to grow 5 star buds you can easily earn $100,000 a month as a vendor to the right dispensary ,I'm almost ashamed to say what I took home In January alone from being a vendor to my own non profit and 2 other dispensarys ,believe me it's life changing money ,set yourself up with a flood & drain hydroponics system and grow single cola sea of green ,I run 4 tables that pull 7lbs of primo every 2 weeks until I get backlogged on product like I am now ,then I shut down 2 tables and harvest once every month ,FYI folks I'm a licensed grower and pay taxes on all income .

Not everyone can make what I make every month but even a small time grower can make $10,000 a month if he can grow 5 star strains that can be tested with 20% THC or higher and zero mold .

It's hard to understand how you ever got bored, that's more energy than I had when I was 25.

I know people with stock but your talking about running a bidness. I don't want a job

I know people with stock but your talking about running a bidness. I don't want a job
I was giving you insight into how strong the medical marijuana business is at every point of the industry ,weather investing ,opening a dispensary ,or being a vendor ,everyone involved is making fantastic returns ,what you decide to do with that info is up to you .

Back
Top Bottom