AK Retiree Club

I guess I`m lucky, so far, as I seem to maintain decent heath, considering I smoke about a 3/4 pack of regular Winston cigarettes a day, and have three or more screw drivers every day, and have been for many decades !!

Same for me. And that's "being good".
One thing I can say is that I've totally enjoyed myself so far.
All while somehow managing to live 40 years longer than my mother.

Last edited:
When it comes to the Government, assume nothing. Having the card is a very good sign that they are aware of you. Sorry to learn about your disability. Luckily for you, they jumped right on your case. You are one of the favored few. Be well.

Seems you're well embedded in Medicare.
However, while it's not always apparent, Medicare and SS are different programs.
The only thing I can think of that might be worth checking on is that SS disability payments have a max cap per family.....whereas retirement benefits do not.
The question being whether you and/or a spouse qualify for larger total payments under retirement benefits than disability.

Yes, I`m probably well embedded in Medicare 45rpmspinner, but do not know if I will get any SS retirement at 67, or any increase, but really don`t care, as I`m on my law suit`s generous Income tax free annuity ..

Even when I sent a registered (return receipt letter) to SSA that I won my law suit, they responded that that`s ok and I still deserve SSD, and I will still get SS every month, however on my Bank statement`s deposit notation it`s listed as SSA, so not really sure what`s going on, and it`s not a big amount, something like $750.00, after they take out Medicare deductible !!
Go figure !!
No spouse, never been married, and no children, at least, none, that I know about, or will admit to!!

If I make it to 67, and SSA gives me a raise, I won`t send them a letter complaining about it..

What a long strange trip it`s been, to quote a Grateful Dead song`s words !!

When it comes to the Government, assume nothing. Having the card is a very good sign that they are aware of you. Sorry to learn about your disability. Luckily for you, they jumped right on your case. You are one of the favored few. Be well.

Thank you my fellow "FL. hurricane dodger", Mr. King Bubba Sir.

Remember, that in my case , 1, this was in 1982, and SS, might have been a little more reasonable/realistic, at that time frame.

And 2, I had overwhelming Dade County hospital record`s evidence of the whole debacle, and long term prognosis of my physical wellbeing, or lack thereof in writing by 5 hospital doctors !!

Once my father placed 3 three ring note books on the examiners desk, and he read through them for about an hour, there wasn`t really any debate, or questions from him.
He shook my 27 year old hand, said sorry for your loss, and good luck !!

When it comes to the Government, assume nothing.

My experience of dealing with Federal programs is far superior to anything I've run into with State agencies.

Literally took me four solid days of presenting various papers to get a State-created problem with my drivers license solved simply because the state where I live doesn't have computer access to older paperwork...or for that matter, any employees with a functioning brain stem. Sometime around 2006, my records were apparently deleted because I never had a mark on my driving record.
And thus, logically, must be dead???

I've been licensed to drive since I was 15.
I ended up having to take the entire driving test over at age 52.
At one point in the process, I had to hunt down paperwork showing that I had a vehicle registered in my name....even though the info was readily available online....even though the vehicle in question was sitting in the parking lot with a valid registration sticker pasted on the front window.

Dealing with SS/Medicare has been a total pleasure by comparison.

I have to agree with the assessment that the U.S. Gov. is better to deal with, at least in the State of Florida it is. When my daughter and grandson moved here to Florida, after living in Maine. She was shocked at how difficult it was to do anything related to Medicaid and food stamps (SNAP), etc. I personally do not have to deal with the State; so I am lucky.

My experience of dealing with Federal programs is far superior to anything I've run into with State agencies.

Literally took me four solid days of presenting various papers to get a State-created problem with my drivers license solved simply because the state where I live doesn't have computer access to older paperwork...or for that matter, any employees with a functioning brain stem. Sometime around 2006, my records were apparently deleted because I never had a mark on my driving record.
And thus, logically, must be dead???

I am impressed how you got over that being dead issue....not too many have been successful with that one

I was amazed at how easy it was to move to Kentucky. Much better state run facilities than Illinois

We had a place rented for a beach vacation/retirement celebration at Cape Hatteras starting Saturday, guess that won't be happening! LOL Glad I bought the hurricane insurance! 3 of the last 4 times we've been to Cape Hatteras have had hurricane events. Now the wife says were heading for FL, I'm thinking we'll be driving through rain most of the way down I-75. Hope to salvage at least a few decent days at the beach. We're suppose to leave Fri. morning so maybe we'll have a better picture of the weather by then.

20180911_115716.jpg
Had a pretty good stretching session this morning think I'll head out for a local ride. Not sure how muddy the local roads are so I might have to stick to the paved roads

I went to the recycling center - not the one behind our grocery store. That one is terrible; the one guy who mans it shuffles along like a slow zombie and gives people the stink eye as if he is being put out to do his job.

Instead, I switched to the major recycling center at the landfill. 3 person crew, waited all of 2 minutes for my turn, got my cash and was back home a lot faster than the other place.

Going to enjoy the rest of my morning coffee and listen to some jazz.

A public service announcement about the need to keep busy.

Nearly 4 weeks of elevated boredom from doing nothing with my left arm for this shoulder is causing strange behavior. I just CLR’d our hodgepodge glassware collection.
315EE19A-5D29-460C-8FC8-F8009F4BAFD9.jpeg

We had a place rented for a beach vacation/retirement celebration at Cape Hatteras starting Saturday, guess that won't be happening! LOL Glad I bought the hurricane insurance! 3 of the last 4 times we've been to Cape Hatteras have had hurricane events. Now the wife says were heading for FL, I'm thinking we'll be driving through rain most of the way down I-75. Hope to salvage at least a few decent days at the beach. We're suppose to leave Fri. morning so maybe we'll have a better picture of the weather by then.

First time I've ever quoted myself! Things are looking up some, the huricane heading for the east coast is getting predicted to head a little more south and NC outer banks won't take the main impact. We'll know tomorrow for sure but the rental company sent an email out saying don't give up on our trip yet, there maybe a short delay though.

Couple days ago I went body surfing. Wandered around Paia (beach town), had lunch, window shopped and checked out some galleries. One gallery manager really liked my art. Wants me in the next show. Been working on design and artwork for the Ko Olina Beach Club at the Marriott on Oahu. Fun stuff.

Went up to the Kula Forest Preserve at 6500' elevation to cool off and hike in the clouds amongst redwoods. Got detoured to the Kula Lavender Farm instead. The road was closed probably due to Hurricane Olivia. Today Olivia crossed over Maui as a downgraded tropical storm. Still lots of flooding and downed trees. Picked up a pile of windblown stuff. Including the last of the avocados from the tree.

That marijuana stock (TLRY) I mentioned about 2 weeks ago, the total gain is at 98+%.

Get out, take a chance, be creative and have fun!

IMG_0404_avocado.png

Couple days ago I went body surfing. Wandered around Paia (beach town), had lunch, window shopped and checked out some galleries. One gallery manager really liked my art. Wants me in the next show. Been working on design and artwork for the Ko Olina Beach Club at the Marriott on Oahu. Fun stuff.

Went up to the Kula Forest Preserve at 6500' elevation to cool off and hike in the clouds amongst redwoods. Got detoured to the Kula Lavender Farm instead. The road was closed probably due to Hurricane Olivia. Today Olivia crossed over Maui as a downgraded tropical storm. Still lots of flooding and downed trees. Picked up a pile of windblown stuff. Including the last of the avocados from the tree.

That marijuana stock (TLRY) I mentioned about 2 weeks ago, the total gain is at 98+%.

View attachment 1280318

Nice avocados! I must have missed it, when did you move to Maui?

A public service announcement about the need to keep busy.

That’s what worries me, and why I am still working. I still enjoy my job, which is intellectually challenging, and I stay up to speed on all the latest techniques; the kids can’t keep up, lol. Can’t imagine not having some challenging technical problem to solve, architect, design, integrate, build...

34th year at MegaCorp, $2 Million in investments, and a small pension to boot. House paid for long ago. Great health. Will keep working until full SS at 66, may not start drawing it until 70.

Will definitely have more time for hobbies, like photography, birding, perhaps some writing, travel back to Europe. Have never golfed, but TBH it sounds really boring. I’ll have to monitor this thread for ideas, ‘cause I’m less than two years from the big R.

View attachment 1280318
Sounds like a fun day or two but it doesn't sound like you are retired either

Had my morning coffee while listening to my favorite jazz station jazz88.org and just piddled about doing some morning chores.

Got gas for the truck, dropped off a bag of clothes at Goodwill (the downsizing continues - just slowly), and picked up some beer for tonight's game.

Eating top ramen for lunch while checking out AK.

Maybe I'll do some afternoon chores in the back, maybe not.
Got a nice dinner planned before kickoff. Enjoy your day fellow club members! :beerchug:

Took old faithful out for a back road ride this morning. I've had a lot of bikes and still have 3 but I bought this one on the early nineties and it's still my favorite. Almost every part has been swapped out at least once. Right now I have some old style pull back bars, don't really love them so gonna try something new this winter. Maybe some of those Jones H bars
20180913_094056.jpg

Back
Top Bottom