AK Retiree Club

Took old faithful out for a back road ride this morning. I've had a lot of bikes and still have 3 but I bought this one on the early nineties and it's still my favorite. Almost every part has been swapped out at least once. Right now I have some old style pull back bars, don't really love them so gonna try something new this winter. Maybe some of those Jones H bars
View attachment 1280659

I should take out my bicycle more often for rides than I do @ present. It's a really nice circa 1983 Miyata 1200, decked out w/ a lotta racing hardware (but a "prostate-friendly" saddle, heh heh) from the mid- and late-1990s. Must admit part of the deal (read: difficulty factor) in getting me to take 'er out for spins be those traditional racing "ram's horns" style handlebars... riding while "bent @ 45 degrees" doesn't work as well as it once did as the 'ol lower back assembly has stiffened a bit these last 25 or so years.

^I only have 1 bike with drop bar now, it's a 2015 Trek touring bike. I've put a taller stem on it so I'm not bent as much. BUT my back has not been good this summer and I haven't been on that bike

Last edited:
Thinking the same. it's never had a door AFAIK. We have lived here 30 years. There used to be a small house next to this structure but it was beyond repair so we demolished it. I recently refurbished this unit from the foundation up. I park the tractor in there.

I should take out my bicycle more often for rides than I do @ present. It's a really nice circa 1983 Miyata 1200, decked out w/ a lotta racing hardware (but a "prostate-friendly" saddle, heh heh) from the mid- and late-1990s. Must admit part of the deal (read: difficulty factor) in getting me to take 'er out for spins be those traditional racing "ram's horns" style handlebars... riding while "bent @ 45 degrees" doesn't work as well as it once did as the 'ol lower back assembly has stiffened a bit these last 25 or so years.

Checkout the Electra Townie. Semi-recumbent, foot forward layout is great for the back, especially after L4/5 fusion. I have the 700C commuter version with the Shimano 8i planetary rear & dynamo front hubs and roller brakes. Over 4,000 maintenance free (just tires) miles on it.
3FAA0956-9CC7-4096-BA89-DFA12C919C5A.jpeg

^That's what my wife rides but hers is a girl's frame w/26 inchers and the bars were swapped out for some beach bars. Nice bikes, most of the women in our group ride them

^That's what my wife rides but hers is a girl's frame w/26 inchers and the bars were swapped out for some beach bars. Nice bikes, most of the women in our group ride them
I have a coaster brake 26” Townie to match my wife’s.

Before I retired (2008) my wife and I were hardcore cyclists. racing, centuries', doubles, multi-day tours. We live quite a way out of town on a gravel road and I like home. So, about every 3rd day or so I head to town to get the mail and incorporate a bike ride into the day. Not quite like it used to be, riding darn near every day. A buddy of mine whos also a very good cyclist told me if you think you'll ride every day when you retire, think again. He was right. Now is more about smelling the rose's as I putt along. Yea, same 30-mileDSC_0446.JPG DSC_0447.JPG route each and every time I do get out and ride.

Last edited:
Checkout the Electra Townie. Semi-recumbent, foot forward layout is great for the back, especially after L4/5 fusion. I have the 700C commuter version with the Shimano 8i planetary rear & dynamo front hubs and roller brakes. Over 4,000 maintenance free (just tires) miles on it.
View attachment 1281344

That number would certainly allay the lower back tension I experience during the ride and, simultaneously, strip me of my manly pride. Oy, decisions, decisions....

Anyway thanks for the post, it is an option to consider.

That number would certainly allay the lower back tension I experience during the ride and, simultaneously, strip me of my manly pride. Oy, decisions, decisions....

Anyway thanks for the post, it is an option to consider.
My fenders and chain guard are on the shelf. It looks a bit more sportier without them :)

On the road today headed to Cape Hatteras. Hope we can get in Sun. or Mon. Wife's driving on the Penna Turnpike like a bat out of hell right now. She always does that in the mountains. Guess we'll make D.C. no problemo

On the road today headed to Cape Hatteras. Hope we can get in Sun. or Mon. Wife's driving on the Penna Turnpike like a bat out of hell right now. She always does that in the mountains. Guess we'll make D.C. no problemo

parman, Didn`t Cape Hatteras get a bit hammered from Florence ??

Back
Top Bottom