Akai 4000ds MK II

mist

I seem to be finding mixed opinions on this reel to reel deck, but my search results are pretty limited so I thought I'd ask for some input here as well.

I see they go for a fair amount on eBay when accompanied by the manual and some tape, but I currently have the opportunity to pick one up in person, with take-up reel (whatever that means) but no manual, for $50. It is said to be in great condition.

I am just interested in checking out the format, maybe buying tapes every now and then when I come across a bargain. I don't want to get into this if it's going to be terribly expensive or require a huge amount of attention to storage conditions for tapes.

So, please let me know what you think: should I snag this thing up or leave it for the next guy?

I had one of these in the 70's. It was a good deck for the money (though offhand at this moment I can't remember what I paid for it). The weak point of the design is the dual-lever mechanical controls, which can be easily jammed if the operator impatiently tries to turn one lever before the other lever has fully disengaged. If the controls and the reel brakes on the unit you're considering are working smoothly you should do just fine.

The storage requirements for open reel tape are no different than for cassettes; they're just bigger.

Hey, thanks for your reply. I'm pretty sure I'd like to try it out then, just hesitant about dropping the $50 because of an older post from AK where someone states that one in excellent condition can be had for "little more than pocket change."

Well, $50 for a nice reel deck IS pocket change! : ) The 4000DS and its variants must be the Chevys of reel decks. I'd go for it! Just be sure to check it out for functionality before buying.

$50 is a steal if the deck works on both recording + playback and in good condition.
But look how much wear the playback head has, many had a rough life and common problem with 4000 DS + MK II = defect pinch-roller, missing speed-sleeve for 7-1/2 speed, worn out drive-belt ( slips on start or speed is not correct) bad cam's inside for the play /fforward function ( usually shows the playlever is "funky" when you turn them.
Test record function before buying as it has a combined function with the cam's engaging the record-switch inside.
Finding a replacement cam is not easy.
If it needs a new pinch-roller and belt estimate about $ 60.00 for the parts.
A tune-up can also be needed if the deck has been sitting for a long time, scratchy pot's, track-selector usually need attention and monitor/tape switch.
But a good working 4000 DS MKII is a excellent starter deck and you can enjoy nice sound on both speeds.:music:

Keep us posted,

$50 is a steal if the deck works on both recording + playback and in good condition.
But look how much wear the playback head has

Good points, especially the heads. What finally did mine in after 15 years was head wear, and the fact that the estimate to replace the heads was within spitting range of the cost of buying a new deck.

Thanks for the tips, I'll do my best to look it over.

I really know next to nothing about these things. I've been able to learn what the pinch-roller is, but which is the playback head, left or right?

Also, what is the "speed sleeve," and hopefully I'll be able to figure this out quickly when I see it up close in person, but which is the playback lever that I should examine?

Thanks again, I'm looking forward to messing around with this thing. I'm not terribly concerned about being able to record with it, so I won't worry too much about that unless it is indicative of degrading cams that will likely affect play as well.

Attachments

• Akai.jpg
    Akai.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 172
  • Akai2.jpg
    Akai2.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 175
You might want to look for a GX-4000, I believe it is a newer version of what you are looking at and it has the Glass Heads that do not wear as easly. I have seen them for reasonable prices on "That Auction Site"

I have the 4000DB which I gave $70 for in exellent working condition. So $50 for the one you are looking at is worth it, if it is in good working condition!

It cost me $50 just for an estimate on my 4000DS, so get over there, mist! : )If you're near Chicago or Akron, I'll even buy it from you!

Let me explain the different things to look for before you buy.

The pinch-roller is the rubber-wheel that feeds the tape at correct speed with help of the pinch-roller axle.
If the rubber is hard or deformed the tape can slip or not stabil on playback.
Left roller in the picture has a mark and small cracks. Right roller has been refurbished.
Akaipinch-roller.jpg

The two cam's are located at the arrows on this GX-4000 D, same as 4000DS MKII.
When they start falling apart or swell, a kind of funky motion when you set the left one to Play-function or fforward can be detected.
Same with the R- control.
DSCF2197.jpg

The Play-lever is nr: 1, and when you set the deck to record one more step to the right of the lever.
Nr: 3 is the speed-sleeve that creates 7-1/2 speed when mounted as in this picture below:
Akai4000DB014.jpg

When the speed-sleeve is not mounted for 7-1/2 speed it should be mounted on the storage post nr: 1
july2007002.jpg

The 3 heads: nr: 1 is the erase head, mostly stays good on this model.
nr: 2 is record head, as on this deck all 3 heads are excellent, hardly no wear at all, but a small amount of tape residue can be found on the erase-head.
Nr: 3 is the playback head, look for a deep groove in the center, and any pit or rustmarks. Small wear is OK, but if you can see the wear pretty deep of the record or playback head..stay away.:no:
Akai4000DB021.jpg

Keep us posted and good luck now:thmbsp:

Hi everyone, thanks so much for the help. Special thanks to Vintage TX for taking the time to share all of the easy-to-follow information.

I went and took a look at it this evening-- the owner had it playing an old Beatles tape when I walked in. The first thing I noticed was how clean it was, and how good the pinch-roller looked (unless I'm a complete idiot, it looks at nearly as good as the one on the right in Vintage TX's first pic). Cosmetically, the entire unit appears to be in excellent shape. There appears to be some wear on the play and record heads, but my best judgment was that it is relatively minor.

It was a huge help to have such a good idea of what to look for and expect! He spent a few minutes showing me the ropes of how to operate the thing, but honestly, I was so enamored with the ambiance that it all pretty much blended with the Beatles and I didn't pay much attention. So, I'm going to have to spend some time figuring out how to put it to work. I'll check back in after I get a tape or two to practice!

Thanks again!

I have the owner's manual for a MkI at my parents' house if you'd like a photocopy. Can't get it till March 7, though.

Congratulations to become a member in the "reel world":music:
You welcome for the help Mist, play around with it and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

So, for some reason, I'm not really getting a signal out of the right line out on this thing. The needle for the right VU meter isn't moving around at all during playback, but does jump erratically (like when I power up or while switching track selector between monoaural and stereo settings, but *not* at all during playback-- not an intermittent problem). It's not the amplifier or RCA cables. I'm using a pre-recorded tape that is labeled as stereo. I have the track selector set to stereo playback, as far as I can tell.

I think I would have noticed the right channel being out when I bought it. Not 100% positive, but pretty sure. I suspect it could be a few things:

1) User error. I really don't know what the heck I'm doing with this thing, but I do have the operator's manual and it doesn't seem like rocket science. Is there something about loading the tape that could have messed up stereo playback? Could having it too close to a power cord or speaker cause some kind of magnetic issue that would selectively knock out a channel?

2) Tape malfunction. I bought this tape on eBay, but it looks to be in pretty decent shape. Then again, I really don't know how to judge. Maybe I should try getting another one to test?

3) Deck malfunction. Again, I could've sworn this thing worked fine when I went for the demo. Doesn't matter now though- if it's malfunctioning, I'm going to try to fix it. Contact cleaner comes to mind for the line outs on the back, but should I try cleaning the heads first? Should I pop this baby open and to take a look under the hood for anything obvious?

Sorry you are having problems.
A couple of things to check for:

Have you tried with a different tape, same result or ?

Check the heads and clean with head-cleaner.

On the head-cover you have a switch (1/4) Stereo (2/3) turn it a couple of times and be sure it's on Stereo.
Sometimes this knob get's loose ( has a small metric allen-screw on the side) and need to be tighten again.

After you have checked heads and the small switch on the head-cover load a tape on the deck and start PLAY function.
Engage the MONITOR switch TAPE/SOURCE several times and see if the missing channel comes on when on TAPE if so the switch is dirty and need some contact cleaner.

Let me know what you find :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom