Akai Info

Hello All.

My name is Charlie, I found this forum after finding out I am about to inherit my fathers AKAI AA-1175 receiver. I remember using this amp when I was about five years old. My brother has had this since my father died and will hopefully be getting it serviced before handing it over to me. The receiver has been thumping during operation and will get recapped... I think.

I cannot wait to get my modern amp replaced with this AKAI, it's just the sort of thing I have wanted for a while now.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I have an Akai AA-R30. It is an excellent unit. It outperforms most of my vintage receivers. The tuner is excellent. The sound is very clear and balanced throughout the frequency spectrum.

Are Akai speakers worth getting?
I found a pair AKAI SW-155 and i think i can get them for about $80 maybe less if i try hard.
they look like they are in superb condition, but... do they sound nice? havn't heard em yet. What do you guys think?

Not sure but over the years I've never heard anybody praise them. Listen to them and let your ears be the judge. :music:

Are Akai speakers worth getting?
I found a pair AKAI SW-155 and i think i can get them for about $80 maybe less if i try hard.
they look like they are in superb condition, but... do they sound nice? havn't heard em yet. What do you guys think?

I have a pair of SW-127 speakers and I love them. Very nice clean highs and the bass is fantastic.

I have an Akai cassette deck that I got in 1982 and it's still going strong. Based on that and the sound of the cassettes it can make they must have done something right. Maybe tape players were their strong suit.

I have an Akai cassette deck that I got in 1982 and it's still going strong. Based on that and the sound of the cassettes it can make they must have done something right. Maybe tape players were their strong suit.

I think they did most everything right. They just didn't get to big following of some of the other Japanese manufacturers here in the USA. I remember several people owning Akai in the military overseas. They sold many of them in the military PX stores but I didn't see any on the civilian economy..

I have an AM-2800 integrated amp and have no complaints. The lamps behind the meters are a little dim and the controls are a bit scratchy (Deoxit is hard to find 'round here!). I got it for free so that's great!
I also have a little receiver, AA-R-1, which sounded nice untill it popped! It also had those sliders that can't be found anywhere! For a small slim little unit, it sure was heavy!!

Cool thread. I've only owned one Akai piece. 1800-SS reel to reel/8-track combo unit. It's a heavy heavy b@$t@rd!! But I really dig it!

picture.php

Front

picture.php

Rear

picture.php

Rear I/O closeup.

picture.php

Right side closeup showing integrated speaker (both in tip top shape), and 8-track tape port.

I got this for something like $15 or $20 at a thrift I used to work at back home in Nebraska. Have been struggling for years to come up with an owners manual (in English - accidentally bought a German one a year or so ago :sigh:). Very clean, very solid, and (like I said) very heavy!

Akai brings back memories. They sold well in Hawai'i. My guess is because Hawai'i always did had strong ties with Japan.

In japan, most of their products in the market were tape decks. I haven't long known that they were makng other components other than that for sale in overseas. Akai brand is familiar only to audiophiles nowadays here.

I have to jump into this Akai love fest as well. I have been off and on collecting Akai gear. I am currently looking for the AM-2950 and maybe a nicer tape deck.... I love the stuff... the amps are powerful, the tuners are great for pulling in the stations, and the eq is the best EQ I own (I own 5, and it even rivals my Pioneer SG-9)

I currently own two AM-2600's, an AT-2650 tuner, an AT-S55 tuner, a CS-705D tape deck, and a EA-G80 equalizer. All of it is in rotation (one setup is in the living room, the other is my basement bar)

Pic showing the AT-S55 tuner and other gear
IMG_3178.jpg

Another pic... same setup only for this time I have the AT-2650 inserted into this rig. The Akai sign is a heavy piece of glass mirror which was a display piece in an old stereo shop, this was generously donated to me by fellow AK'er Broonsbane :thmbsp:

IMG_6265.jpg

Aa-1175

Guys, those AA-1175's are beautiful! They look like the same era AKAI gear I sold (late 70's) but never saw them in my catalogues.

DCCHAMBER,

Very nice system. :thmbsp:

Thanks for the compliments... it isn't the top of the line Akai stack that I will hopefully have some day, but it's close...the 2600 can rock the house for sure... I have it driving a set of Pioneer HPM500's and a set of Realistic T-120's

I will hopefully replace the AM-2600 with a AM-2950, the AT-2650 is the totl separate tuner for Akai of that era, the EG-A80 is considered totl (although there is a EG-A90 that they came out with a year after the 80, but all it adds is multicolored frequency led indicators, where the 80 just has green, the specs are the same), I would like to upgrade the CS-705D (I got it for $10 in perfect condition at a local thrift), there are so many Akai tape decks to choose from I have no idea where to look for a totl unit :)

I've got a AM-32 (only 50wpc), CD-32 CD player and GX-52 tape player that I picked up very cheaply via a certain auction site. Very impressive gear with nice build quality. The tape player in particular is very nice. Direct drive, fully motorised tape loading mechanism, soft-touch control buttons, and all sorts of extra bits and pieces.

The Akai gear in this particular series are real sleepers IMHO!

the akai gx-52 is indeed a sleeper of a cassette deck..:yes:

i have the user manual somewhere if you need a copy..

Last edited:
I will hopefully replace the AM-2600 with a AM-2950, the AT-2650 is the totl separate tuner for Akai of that era

the 2650 mabe the totl tuner but the at 2600 gets the better reviews due to a seperate am gang.

i wish you all the luck finding a am 2950 as they are a really great amp.my problem now is getting either a at 2600 or 2650 in black as that is the color of of my am2950 :sigh:

Back
Top Bottom