Akai Info

Has anyone has pics of the main amp board of the AM-2800?
I just rewired it but maybe i did something wrong with the wirering.
I tried to repair the beast but it failed.
Right channel still does'nt work left channel works but drives the right speaker :dunno:
i see the left VU meter moving but hear the sound at the right speaker and the speaker cables are in the right channels.
I really want to fix this amp i got it blown and messed up so i don't really know if everything was on the right places when i got it. i saw some differences with my AM-2600 wich looks allmost the same as the 2800

A long time ago in a land not so far away I was at a flea market and found an Akai CS-50D cassette deck. This is a huge mechanical masterpiece. Weighs a ton. It's called an ivert-o-matic. It actually takes the tape out of the transport flipps it around and reloads it. Quite a piece of engineering. It wasnt working right when I got it about 25 years ago. It sounded great when it did play. I worked on that thing a lot and finally got some functionality out of it. A very cool device to say the least. It has been in storage for a long time. I still want to get out and do a restoration on it.. Has anyone else seen such a thing?? I would post a pic but the deck is buried in my storage shed right now.

Picked up this set today.

AT-2450 and aM-2600 in near mint condition.

Attachments

• Akai 3.JPG
    Akai 3.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Akai 4.JPG
    Akai 4.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 42
Akai should have a fan site of their own. I first noticed the silver Akai´s with the blue FL displays back in 1980, when i drowled over the catalogues my older brothers had lying around. I´ve recently started collect the stuff from 1980-1982. Its cheap and still looks as good as then.

Akai AM-U02, AM_U03, AM-U04, AT-K02, AT-K22, AT-K03, AT-V04, DT-100,

I´m not done yet with the models, but need also the rack and rackmounts.

My Akai stuff....

Thanks for the compliments... it isn't the top of the line Akai stack that I will hopefully have some day, but it's close...the 2600 can rock the house for sure... I have it driving a set of Pioneer HPM500's and a set of Realistic T-120's

I will hopefully replace the AM-2600 with a AM-2950, the AT-2650 is the totl separate tuner for Akai of that era, the EG-A80 is considered totl (although there is a EG-A90 that they came out with a year after the 80, but all it adds is multicolored frequency led indicators, where the 80 just has green, the specs are the same), I would like to upgrade the CS-705D (I got it for $10 in perfect condition at a local thrift), there are so many Akai tape decks to choose from I have no idea where to look for a totl unit :)

I recently picked up these two pieces -- AM 2400 and AT 2600 from a local GW. My first two pieces of any vintage gear and I really like them for both their look and their sound quality. Also just picked up a matching Akai RTR (can't recall model #) from a local guy on CL......heavy ass mo fo!!! No pictures of it yet.

DSChamber -- Your Akai stack is quite impressive and that Akai sign is :thmbsp::thmbsp:!! If you ever decide to unload your CS-705D (or the Akai sign), let me know...I would be interested in it.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=373077

Has anyone got, or had experience, of Akai reel-to-reel 1721L. It had been left at council tip, so I brought it home. It was in perfect working order then. It's quarter track so I occasionally need to use it when such pre-recorded tapes come my way. Now the left hand channel output is very noisy. Noise increases when volume turned up. The tape output seems at correct level on both channels. I'm looking for tips before I open it up, and maybe someone has the service manual?

Finally some other Akai fans , I only have 2 pieces so far , the AM2600 and AT2600 , I want more ! perhaps a AA1175 or a AT550 or AP002 or AP206 or all of them .
I love the 10 and 11 series receivers , it what they don't have that makes them great , no stupid mic input , no ugly tape out/in jacks on face , no damn dolby fm . Just the features you really need .

Last edited:
Brian,

Either you have dirty pots, or you have transistor rot, a common Akai tape recorder fault. Which can be cured by replacing them.

I am a HUGE Akai fan as well! I started with a 1730D-SS from a rummage find in 1992. I am a drummer so at the time I went to Radio Shack and bought some cheap mics to record my drums.... The sound that I heard come from that machine made me think I was Gene Krupa.

I now own a AA 8500 (amazing), GXC 39D (needs belts), Airstream speakers, AA 6300, and a few other components....

Attachments

• IMG_6333.jpg
    IMG_6333.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5169.jpg
    IMG_5169.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6334.jpg
    IMG_6334.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6351.jpg
    IMG_6351.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I think that receiver is wonderful -- I love the tuning drums, and the unusual cosmetics. And I think its nice sounding, if memory serves.

I think that receiver is wonderful -- I love the tuning drums, and the unusual cosmetics. And I think its nice sounding, if memory serves.

It is an amazing receiver for sure! I am getting some humming near the front face of the unit though. It doesn't effect the sound, but enough to scare a newbie like me :)

Used to have a Akai AM-A301 amp back in the '90s.
Blew it a few times - because I used it partly as amp in my home studio.

Now I got a GX-52 tape deck that look and feels like its brand new.
Got it for nearly nothing at a flea market.
Very well build and will probably run forever.

:music:

Akai AM-U06 integrated amplifier

Power output: 68 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 6Hz to 100kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.008%

Damping factor: 180

Input sensitivity: 0.8mV (MC), 3mV (MM), 20mV (DIN), 150mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 84dB (MM), 97dB (line)

Channel separation: 60dB (MM)

Akai PA-W04 power amplifier

Power output: 48 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 1Hz to 100kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.008%

Damping factor: 100

Input sensitivity: 1V

Signal to noise ratio: 115dB

Bought new in 1980 and still sound awesome. Slight repair to both, but still have the
original caps that seem fine.

I would put these amps up against any other solid state amp. The specs alone are hard to match, and in fact several listening tests on youtube always have an Akai amplifier and/or receiver come out on top against several "high end" competitors. After about 1988 the quality started to suffer, as did all Japanese stereo equipment. I have had several newer Pioneer, Nad, Luxman, Sony, etc., (junk), and listened to friends Carver's, Sansui, Yamaha, and more, and I, and my friends agree, the Akai sounds somewhow the best, especially after listening for an extended time. Easy to listen to.

The 1980 AM-U02, 03, 04, were excellent with dual power supplies, large transformers and caps, but the better integrated amp was the AM-U06, which had the pulse power supply. Using a small transformer on a flip,flop transistor board, putting out high voltage, 300V+, at an extremely high pulse frequency, which is then rectified to a very stable DC. This negated all the disadvantage of hysteresis and EM incumbent with large transformers. The epitome of this type of power supply was used in the PA-W04, PA-W06 power amps, with their matching PR-A04, PR-A06 preamps. Excellent specs and matching excellent sound from these separate amp, preamp units.

After this innovative apex, Akai went down the conventional solid state stereo amp road, same as all the other mainstream audio companies like Marantz, Nad, Denon, Luxman, etc., (competition of course). But their faceplate designs became too plain and "tinny" looking, and the black face was the beginning of the end.

Back
Top Bottom