Akai M8 Rebuilds

OCD_Sned

Hey All,

Just sharing the rebuild of my Akai M8 monoblocks for my man cave.

With a new baby, renovations, wrist reconstruction and work I have finally gotten a chance to start putting the right channel back together. Generally have to wait until they're all in bed or get up really early.

I had a friend build boxes for the amps from reclaimed timber from the ruins of the local crim ward.
So far I've stripped both monoblocks and cleaned/polished. Have stripped all the redundant wiring etc. Each channel will be identical with only a 6X4, 6BQ5 and 12AD7. I'll rearrange the left channel to have the valves in the same order as the right.

Have replaced all the capacitors with mainly Sprague. All resistors checked for accuracy before being reinstalled.

This is my first attempt at a restoration/modification of an old amp.

Have borrowed a variac from work to bring them up slowly just in case. Will power up tomorrow as it's getting a bit late tonight. Want to be ready to catch the smoke. :dunno:

Looking forward to listening to them. Still a fair bit to go. Have a pair of fostex FE166E's that need enclosures. Eventually a DAC with tube buffer powered by a raspberry pi running volumio and phono stage as well.

Chassis's cleaned and ready for rebuild
IMG_7464.JPG

Right Channel ready for point to point check and power up.
IMG_7538.JPG

The Sprague Atoms take up a bit of space on the tag strip. Had to add an extra tag strip as I spread out a bit too much for the original tag strip.
IMG_7540.JPG

Enclosures built by friend. They look good at this point but there's a bit of an air gap in the circuitry.

The timber was as hard as the place it came from but has so much character. When you look closely you can see very fine cracks in the timber. It's very well aged hard wood. Possibly grey gum.
IMG_7381.JPG

Not sure why he put the lobes in the front slot. He may have had a moment.
IMG_7397.JPG

IMG_7396.JPG

Great work and beautiful pictures. Love the half-blind dovetails and the gutted/rebuilt amps!

Nice. If the slots bother you it might be worthwhile getting rid of them and using a heavy stainless mesh - similar to the front panels. Regardless, very nice work.

I was going to make similar cases for mine - Cherry, if I ever get to this rebuild.

Hey all,
thank you for the feedback.
Loving rebuilding these old amps. Bit slow but getting there.

Finally powered up today and found that once rectifier tube 6X4 started conducting AC volts at output of transformer dropped from 260V to ground to around 196V to ground with 117V supply on line side of transformer. I have measured across 0V and 117V.

I'm a bit suspicious of the inductor at this point. Time to dust off the oscilloscope and my very rusty electrical engineering maths.

Any suggestions at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Great work and beautiful pictures. Love the half-blind dovetails and the gutted/rebuilt amps!

Will pass on the compliments to Robert about the dove tails. He is one of those people who loves what he does. I would have gotten at least 20 photos in the build of the boxes.

Nice. If the slots bother you it might be worthwhile getting rid of them and using a heavy stainless mesh - similar to the front panels. Regardless, very nice work.

I was going to make similar cases for mine - Cherry, if I ever get to this rebuild.

if you have the time, it's well worth the effort. This is my quiet time go to.

Don't forget to post pics when you do the build.

Ok, 2 rookie errors out of the way.

Sprague Orange drops aren't polarity sensitive. Sprague Atoms ARE!!

Discharge the bus caps before touching. Took a bit to find my roll of solder.

Finally put my 240V/110V Power supply together today.
Used an old Australian Army Ammo tin due to being strong easily modified.
The Transformer is a powertech capable of delivering 8A at 110V, which is far more than i need for the Akai M8 monoblocks.

I have drilled a series of 2.5mm holes to allow ventilation, drawing from the bottom and exhausting from the lid. Being mild steel, it has good heat conductivity, so i didn't go overboard with massive ventilation.
This also means the holes aren't that obvious.

IMG_7577.JPG

Due to the switch current rating being not quite high enough, I have switched the active and nuetral. Also installed a red LED for ON indication.

IMG_7576.JPG

IMG_7578.JPG

Cool idea. I have ammo cans from .30 cal. To .50 cal. That gives me an idea for an amp build. I'm always on the look out for a pair of those M8 amps.

Great looking builds. I've got 4 of those amps from 2 R2R's I gutted out. Future projects for when I jump into the tube pool.

Just bought a pair of these M8 amps on eBay. No deck, just these two amps taken out. Where exactly does the AC 100v go into the LEFT box and how does it feed power to the RIGHT one? Please help!

Each amp has it's own power transformer one amp plugs into the other, in the top rear center

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom