AKFest 2012 SMAC Room System

Discussion in 'SMAC Forum' started by jmathers, Jan 29, 2012.

1. jmathers

jmathers AK Subscriber Subscriber

Time to start assembling our SMAC room system for this year.

Main core system listened to and approved 3/25/2012

Bob's Gold-cones
    Dennis' Edgarhorns

6CB5A amps - Pak

AES/Cary AE3 (6SN7, linestage only) - Jeff
    DIY Linestage - Pak

Jolida JD9 (modded)- Jeff

NEC T-710 - Scott

Lenco B51, Shure M97xe - Jeff
    Ortofon 2M Bronze - Rob

Furutech GT40 USB Dac and phono - Mike
    Arcam CD82 - Dave
    Pioneer ELITE 79Avi - Scott

Denny's bullet proof power conditioner

Krikor (Craig)

Krikor (Craig) - Room Tune Panels

Uroford (Steve)

Fluorescent posters (framed) for a retro hippie 70's thing - Bob
    Blacklites, a lava lamp, maybe beads for the door way, an oriental rug - Rob
    HY69 Nite Light - George
    50s RCA glasses -DC

Don't forget to bring some music to stay in the room!!!!!
    Jeff Box o' LPs
    Jeff CDs
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  2. jmathers

I think we can shoot for either but I'd prefer BIG room speakers!
  3. djnagle

djnagle Member

I have my Edgarhorns with the big Heils that were on my tall JBL scoops but now are on front loaded bass horns. The foot print for the horns is 2' x 2.5' and the Edgarhorns are at eye level.
  4. jmathers

Now we're talkin'.....:thmbsp: Newman won't dare come near us.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  5. DC

DC "Manhattan Boy" Subscriber

I am afraid I can only support the system by sending a cheque (which is in the mail) to support the room. :)

Maybe I'll try to get some tunes together to bring or something ... and Cognac.
  6. djnagle

djnagle Member

Cool, I love Cognac.
  7. jmathers

Do these require that we use multiple amps?

8. jmathers

No worries. Thank you very much!

9. djnagle

djnagle Member

Eighter way Jeff. I figure for this application, one amp would be best. I have a passive crossover.
  10. jmathers

It's like a ghost town around here.......
  11. jamich

jamich New Member

Whoa, what kind of Cognac? Wait, this is supposed to be about equipment. Sorry. I have a Balveinie at about 97 dB sensitivity.
  12. Bellair

Bellair New Member

I will have my newest speaker project ready soon using a ribbon tweeter 5" mid and 10" subwoofer designed by Dave Clark for Chrysler going through a short transmission line to a 12" passive radiator. This is working out to be better than the system I had at the last show having a little more detail due to the ribbon. A 60 watt tube amp will fill a large room well. Chrysler had to stop use of the woofer for production due to the prototype builds panels buzzing too much.
  13. jmathers

Sounds interesting......when will they be ready? Keep in mind we want to listen to our options well before the Fest.

14. djnagle

djnagle Member

Hey Bell, is your sub(s) stand alone? I am bringing 2 subs with me as my midbass horns only go down to 100hz.

Jeff, how are we doing the pre listening? Do we have to bring everything down to the hotel weeks before the fest, or are you coming over? If you are coming over you can help me set up my Marble turntable:D
  15. jmathers

I was thinking we could arrange an informal listening somewhere - since your speaks are so damn big it'd be easier if I just come over.....as well as any other interested parties?

Does this mean we have decided on your speakers? I haven't seen anyone the least bit interested in the room setup besides you, me and Bob. Looks like we may have the run of the place ourselves.:sigh:

16. djnagle

djnagle Member

I am planning on bringing them, so I'm in. I am sure others will start stopping by as time goes by. The fest is a ways off, but best to start planning now. I am getting ready to have the midbass horns painted with auto flip-flop red/purple. I have to sculpt legs for then too. I will have that all done by the end of the month.
  17. ashok

ashok AK Subscriber Subscriber

Maybe I should send some stuff over from Massachusetts. :D

My Keces DAC 131.1 is available if there is any interest, and you guys can ship it back within a reasonable amount of time after the AK Fest. It is a few years old, but a solid performer.
  18. djnagle

djnagle Member

Hi Ashok. I hope the east coast is treating you well. Will you fly back for the fest?
  19. Bellair

Bellair New Member

I now have a job!!! So it will take a couple weekends to finish up. They are ready for listening but I need to take them out for a different acoustic environment to tweek to the best compromise in various conditions. They are my traveling pair and need to work everywhere. When is the next meeting? I will be there.
  20. ashok

ashok AK Subscriber Subscriber

So far so good Dennis. Unlikely I will fly back for the fest unless I can swing a business trip to AA during that time.

I think this thread will start heating up once we get to amplifiers and preamps.