AKG Q-701s bite the dust and House of Marley

Tom Brennan

AK Member
Subscriber
These things started cutting out on the right side, evidently the wiring inside is loose. These things aren't very old and this is a bummer because I like the sound very much. I don't feel like putzing around with these things so in the trash they go.

On a brighter note I recently bought some Marley Uplift earbuds on a whim for a double sawbuck and they sound very good <if> I use the bass reduction EQ setting on my Apple stuff---excellent clarity and dynamics and smooth mids and highs. Bass is well defined. BUT, if left on flat EQ setting way too much bass, WAY too much.

That's a common with the K7 series. The failed connections are in the left side and they can be resoldered without much issue.

The cause of the problem is usually on the left side? Well maybe I'll take a look see, if I ham handedly break them nothing is lost. Thanks.

Yeah, I'd try to fix them... you have NOTHING to lose!

Except time and frustration, but those are pretty cheap. :p

The cause of the problem is usually on the left side? Well maybe I'll take a look see, if I ham handedly break them nothing is lost. Thanks.

IMG_7052.JPG

I took that while I was recalling my 701s. The red and the black connect to those contacts that go through the headband to the right side. I hope the XLR socket doesn't limit the room or the view too much on the Qs. If everything on the left side looks fine then, accessing the right side should show even less clutter and just the two wires associated with that driver. Here's a video of how to take the sides apart. I used it as a reference when doing the Q701 bass mod and while recalling my K701.

RE--thanks for the help. I exposed the loose connection today and will get around to fixing it when I get a soldering iron--I'm content for now knowing the problem is fixable, know what I mean?

Absolutely. And what you're experiencing is the closest thing to a manufacturing defect that the K7 series suffers from. It'd be a shame to chuck them over this IMO.

Back
Top Bottom