AL Herminoe plank on bulkhead wooden ship

Planked up the lower hull.Ran out of the basswood planks i bought Friday(15 was not enough)so i used some left over Mahogany.that is ok because i plan to paint the hull white or copper it.

Yeah I was surprised at how easy it was to bend the basswood.Mahogany likes to shatter if bent beyond a certain radius.

Ok she just under 2 feet in length thus far with a 4 and 1/4" beam.As for assembly sequence,if you look at the first post you will see the keel piece and bulkheads that you start with.You soak the planks in water for a few hours then bend them around a can of stain and clamp it in place.Allow it to dry and then remove the clamp.The plank will retain The bend and you can Then drill pilot holes and use a needle nose pliers to push the nails into place to affix the planks In place.You continue plank by plank until the hull is covered.Since I elected to single plank the hull I had to fill gaps and cracks in several places with automotive spot putty.I sanded it down with 100 grit followed by 220 grit.Then I airbrushed primer followed by several coats of white.I used a liner brush to paint the black,yellow ,tan and dark brown.Follow up questions welcomed.

Well it comes with a small booklet that kind of shows the assembly sequence but it is not the detailed, exploded view step by step illustration like a plastic model.Thd kit assumes you are a fairly advanced modeler but the detailed plans help.

1489102133063-583773491.jpg Since I intend to add lighting in the stern,it occurs to me that I will have to have access in case of a future battery or bulb change.I found these tiny hinges at Hobby Lobby and they should work out well.

Back
Top Bottom