Alberta bound, Alberta bound, it’s good to be Alberta bound.

I stopped in at Golden. 455 miles. I was getting stiff so I thought it best to stop. I was hoping to make it to Banff but that would have been pushing it and I have an open week so why rush?

Revelstoke to Golden was very scenic because that’s where there was serious snow about but the highway was completely clear. So to test the new snow tires I had to drive around an empty parking lot here in Golden.

The highway between Revelstoke and Golden was eerily devoid of vehicular
traffic. I timed some of the gaps between seeing any other traffic and the record was 3 minutes and 50 seconds. That was at 3:40 pm.

Found an inexpensive motel room which is unbelievably warm. Some one had maxed out the thermostat so I have the door cracked an inch. Brought my own sleeping pillows, a bottle of BC white wine and a good book titled From Beirut To Jerusalem that I promised myself to reread.

The Flames vs Oilers game is on soon so I’ll check that out too. The bed is firm and I’m looking forward to a nice long sleep.

I can just imagine. Can’t wait to see how much Calgary has changed too. Kelowna was almost unrecognizeable from the days of 3 day outside concerts and orchard parties in my youth.

There are only 3 other cars here at the motel so that explains the great off season rate.

My fishing chum Rob the Wanker wanted to come along for the journey. He is physically a mess from an industrial accident and has good periods and rough ones with chronic pain. Sadly this is a not a good time for him to travel so I am alone. I wish he was here. Hell I wish you were all here.
:)
Wise move stopping there instead of Banff. Unless you need the scenic thing, all Banff adds is extra $$$. We usually stop in Golden or Revelstoke.
I can do Edmonton to Van via the Jasper route if I get up and going early, but it kicks my ass. Via the Banff route? Nah, I need the rest.

The BoA is already getting crusty. Love it!

Oh, and I don't really know Calgary all that well, but the biggest change I've noticed as an Edmontonian is that bypass around the city when heading west via that route. A HUGE difference vs the old route.

I'm in Kaslo.

Love to go to Trail and stock up at Ferraro's every now & then!
Wise move stopping there instead of Banff. Unless you need the scenic thing, all Banff adds is extra $$$. We usually stop in Golden or Revelstoke.
I can do Edmonton to Van via the Jasper route if I get up and going early, but it kicks my ass. Via the Banff route? Nah, I need the rest.

The BoA is already getting crusty. Love it!
Wow what a rough and tumble first period the was! Raptors won but that was a given. Still smarting from their late Piston/Celtic losses.

Last edited:
Zip tie a piece of cardboard to your grill, that should let it run a little warmer. ;)

Oh geez. Lol! I had completely forgotten about that. It used to be that you would see cardboard everywhere. If you used too much the vehicle would get too warm. On some cars it fit so well that you didn’t need to tie it. And if anyone would know that it would be a Canadian redneck. Thank you!

This morning in Golden. -4C
image.jpg
image.jpg
I’ll drive to downtown Golden this morning and look for a greasy spoon to have a decent sit down breakfast. There are a few restaurants along the highway but they are hotel chain eateries and I’m hoping for a good old ma and pa diner.

And this will do.
image.jpg

Last edited:
And a good game it was!!!
The best team won! Go Flames!

Almost at Banff. Playing Johnny Mathis. The speed limit in this area is 90 km and I’m glad because I don’t know how long before I can drive here again. It’s going to be great to see Calgary again.

1 down and 1 to go. The preamp came with a LessLoss 20 amp power cable.

Drove to Red Deer. I’ll pick up the amp tomorrow and if I’m lucky they will have a good tube phono pre also.
image.jpg

Bonus Bears vs Vikings game on!
Post game edit:
OMG the Bears are back and the Bears are for real. It’s been too long. Nice to see them playing well again.

Last edited:
Oh geez. Lol! I had completely forgotten about that. It used to be that you would see cardboard everywhere. If you used too much the vehicle would get too warm. On some cars it fit so well that you didn’t need to tie it. And if anyone would know that it would be a Canadian redneck. Thank you!
When I moved here from the coast (Abbotsford) back in 1998 it was this time of year and clear and cool. I damn near froze to death coming through Manning park in my old 78 C-20 Chevy pickup. The cardboard trick worked well for the rest of winter. ;)

When I moved here from the coast (Abbotsford) back in 1998 it was this time of year and clear and cool. I damn near froze to death coming through Manning park in my old 78 C-20 Chevy pickup. The cardboard trick worked well for the rest of winter. ;)
Hey I'm in Abbotsford!!! I travel thru the bustling metropolis of Headley twice a year on my way to Trail.

Lucky you!:thumbsup:

Expect some big changes in Cow Town...not all good, but ya can't hold back change.

Looks like the Stampeders are going to the Grey Cup this year! Yahoo!:rockon:

Q
Ya go Stamps!
I was hoping to catch the Chiefs/Rams game but it’s not available in the room. Too bad because it looks like a good one:(

1 down and 1 to go. The preamp came with a LessLoss 20 amp power cable.

Drove to Red Deer. I’ll pick up the amp tomorrow and if I’m lucky they will have a good tube phono pre also.
View attachment 1334258

Bonus Bears vs Vikings game on!
Post game edit:
OMG the Bears are back and the Bears are for real. It’s been too long. Nice to see them playing well again.

Share some pics after you do the unpacking, eh?

Q

Back
Top Bottom