Aligning a digital tuner?

the skipper

Professional Curmudgeon
A friend of mine sent out his Cambridge Sound Works Model 740 for some work and as part of it, they guy says he's doing a tuner alignment. This unit uses a purely digital tuner. Can this be done on a digital tuner and when would it need to be done?

Don't know anything about that model, but I put off aligning my Yamaha T-85 for ages, being a bit terrified of it. Turned out to be no worse than any other tuner, maybe easier than some, and the performance improved quite a bit. I'd expect many/most "digital" tuners to have some adjustments and be susceptible to aging just like any other tuner. But, I'm speaking from a sample size of one.

I had an early Technics "chip" tuner and other than the main tuning cap, no adjustments. A first generation digital Marantz tuner I gave to my son did have a couple adjustments if I remember right.

it all depends on the circuitry and the chip. some require some adjustments, others are "fixed'
with no adjustments.

find a service manual and/or schematic and look for any instructions regarding FM sections.

I would highly doubt the "tuning" is as involved as ANY golden age tube tuner/receiver with
IF stages, and coils for selectivity and about a dozen other parameters esp if it's also
a stereo unit.

Last edited:
I agree with above, it really depends on the design, without schematics/service manual I can not tell if there are any adjustments. Good luck even getting a service manual unless you pay $.
I have designed a few radio's using Si4735, there is nothing to adjust, it is all setting registers to control operation. the only adjustment i had in the radio was the LCD back light contrast level on the display.

Hi Conrad, I just got a T-85, I am impressed, I read your old thread, I'd be interested in discussing your adjustment experiences some more in another thread of course.

Back
Top Bottom