All Happy Feelings - What Speakers Did you Believe Were Crap and They Were Actually Pretty Good?

ScooterMcTav

I know less than I think
After seeing the "No Hurt Feelings" thread, I thought it would be fun to create a thread where we've heard speakers that others have slagged, but they really weren't that bad.

Myself? I'll say a set of Cerwin-Vega D-5. Paired with a Pioneer SX-950, they sounded really darn good, especially on classic rock. Sure, they don't get audiophile love, but I thought they were more dynamic and exciting than other "good" speakers of the era.

Klipschorns. In my teens I asked the audio salesman to hear the "best speakers in the world." He played some Doobie Brothers through a pair driven by McIntosh gear. He asked me how I liked them. "They don't have much bass, do they?" He just smiled and walked out of the room.

I drove down the block to buy some records and there heard some speakers that sounded the way I thought they should - bolted high up in the corners, a pair of big Speakerlab speakers. Oddly, the same record was playing. I thought, "Now THAT is a great speaker!"

I've changed my mind about the Klipschorns. But I still don't think they are the best speakers in the world. I still haven't heard those, yet.
th

Altec A5s and A7s. The horns made my ears hurt and they were weak on bass. Did I change my mind? Yes, but only after I learned how to change the speakers to my taste. That's why I have the new avatar.
a5.JPG

University S8 and it's kin. First impression was that it was weak on bass and the treble horn sounded "spitty." That's still my impression, but I got used to it and came to like them anyway.
s_8_classic_3_way_deluxe_2070229.jpg

Now we need a thread concerning speakers we really liked at first, then came to deplore. I think my list for those is much longer.

GeeDeeEmm

I've never had speakers that sounded like crap, in my teens I bought a sharp component stereo system that I loved; one of those 3-piece systems with a 100 watt sticker on it. Music was huge for me then and that was what I could afford detassling corn. I'm sure that system would sound very small and shrill now, but I've liked every speaker that I've had, they are all made to a price point.

I'll second the Bose 901's. A friend had a set in their living room playing at low volume and in that setting they were enjoyable and pleasant.

Also the Radio Shack Minimus 7. I thought there was no way speakers that small could sound anything but congested and tinny, but they do well sitting on either side of my monitor in the home office. Once I heard a set of four wired deliberately out of phase and spaced precisely on a neighbor's living room wall. They created WAY more sound in the room than I expected and sounded really good.

Sony SS-MF400H. Yeah, I know, Sony speakers suck. Got a pair originally for home theater setup. Swore up and down that they sounded better in the store, because at home they absolutely needed a subwoofer. Then the sub died, and I replaced the Sony surround receiver with a vintage Technics receiver instead of just replacing the sub, and those Sony's came alive. Very pleasant in my opinion. Still regret selling them a bit.

Sony SS-MF400H. Yeah, I know, Sony speakers suck. . .

I found a pair of SS-K90EDs buried in a thrift store. The way they were situated I could see that they were tall, narrow and Sony. I almost kept walking but didn't because I could see one more thing; integrated metal outrigger stands with spikes.

Those alone prompted the investigation which turned up a teardrop cabinet shape, respectable weight, kevlar drivers, dual binding posts and a low price.

After paying the princely sum of $8, I lugged them home assuming they might sound ok despite the Sony nameplates. They sound better than ok and will mate nicely with the ES stack for tv watching.

The Criterion 3X from 1971 pictured in my avatar photo. I bought them for low dollars because I wanted to use them to practice changing the capacitors in their crossovers. I did change those caps to polypropylene, doped the cloth surrounds on the woofers and squawkers, and gave the cabinets a bit of attention. I was careful to reseal the cabinets of these acoustic suspension speakers when I reassembled them. What I ended up with has greatly exceeded my expectations.

For me it is a pair of Magnavox branded pieces of crap. Found them in the back of a thrift store. I'd never seen Magnavox speakers that were free-standing (versus in a console). I ran my hand over the grill and felt a 12" woofer and - Lord, can it be? - a 10" wide horn! I asked the guy "How much?". He replied, "Make me an offer." "$10" said I. "Deal!".

Although they look like crap - they sound incredible. Very 'Klipsch-like'. I still have them today and rotate them in service in my workshop.

Royal 6 (vs the 6A). Thrift store find, well under $10. I didn't expect much,
the grilles were cat-ravaged; I was interested in the 12" woofer. But they
sound really good top to bottom. I think they were audio store 'fillers' in
the 70s.

royal6s.jpg

Royal 6 (vs the 6A). Thrift store find, well under $10. I didn't expect much,
the grilles were cat-ravaged; I was interested in the 12" woofer. But they
sound really good top to bottom. I think they were audio store 'fillers' in
the 70s.

View attachment 1019036

Yowza, someone else has Royals! I picked up a pair of the 2-way 5A's just for the decent cabinets. Woofers need refoamed, no idea what else. Future project.

Realistic MC-1200 8 inch 2 ways. They were thrown in with an MCS receiver I bought off a guy a couple years back. Seller wouldn't agree to my offer unless I took them off his hands. They've been a staple in my garage system for years and sound better than they have a right to.

Two pair immediately come to mind.

Realistic T-100's. Those little babies were FABULOUS after a recap. And the cabs were nice.

Bose 601 II's. Still kinda regret selling them, but when you make 200 bucks profit, it motivates you. These sound far better than they should.

Oh, and to the OP - I too have enjoyed D-5's.

I didn't expect them to be crap, but Realistic Optimus-1Bs and Nova-7Bs both sounded much better than expected. I have better, more accurate speakers, but I can listen to either of the Realistics all day long without any fatigue.

Realistic T-100's. Those little babies were FABULOUS after a recap. And the cabs were nice.

Not that little, and pretty heavy too. They are nice alright.

Also the Radio Shack Minimus 7. I thought there was no way speakers that small could sound anything but congested and tinny, but they do well sitting on either side of my monitor in the home office. Once I heard a set of four wired deliberately out of phase and spaced precisely on a neighbor's living room wall. They created WAY more sound in the room than I expected and sounded really good.

Tell me more. Can you explain the wiring and placement?

Back
Top Bottom