Almost ready to build my music server. Suggestions?

Markus111

Big Horns & Many Tubes
Subscriber
Seeing some of the cool servers at AKFest this year inspired me to finally take the plunge. I've been reading the posts in this forum, and think I'm close to going out and buying stuff. I don't have any of the components yet, and plan to hit the computer show at Gibralter trade Center this weekend. Any advice you guys have would be appreciated! Here goes....

PC - Looks like the Pentium 4, 2.0 gig with 256 megs memory are pretty cheap right now. Is this enough horsepower? Is there any advantage to a faster machine or more memory?

Sound card - I would like to use my existing CAL Alpha DAC, which has both coax and optical inputs. What is the best way to get the digital signal from the computer to the DAC? Is it better to buy a sound card and use the S/PDIF out, or should I get one of the USB to S/PDIF units and do it that way?

Hard Drive - I assume that I'll need a big honkin' hard drive. I heard that a RAID is a better way to go, but I know nothing of these. Should I just buy a decent single hard drive, and then get another later on when I run out of space, or should I take a big plunge on a RAID right from the beginning?

Compression - After all I've read, it looks like FLAC is the way to go. I'll primarily be ripping CDs. I've read that EAC seems to be a favorite.

OS / Player
I'll need to buy an OS. Has anyone used Windows XP Media edition? It looks cool from the screenshots, but I'd like to hear any experiences from fellow AKer's. I like the idea of the remote control. I will primarily be sitting on my ass in my listening spot and navigating all of this stuff on the TV, so I would like a VERY easy to use (and see) interface. Suggestions? (other than getting off my ass and exercising, that is) :D

Thanks,
Mark

I have no experience with Windows Media, but I would go with at least 512 gig of RAM. Windows is a memory hog anyway.
Yes, go with the biggest honking huge hard drive you can afford. RAID is alright, but you would need at least 2 hard drives. There are many RAID configurations, RAID 1 would most likely be the one you would want to configure since it offers redundency should a drive fail and you would not loose data. Alot of motherboards have RAID onboard. I don't know much about the sound card, but if your running the server into your gear, would you need a high end card? Unless you were to record LPs to your computer. Someone correct me of I am wrong. :scratch2:

Are you going to be using the PC as a server or a player? I think the recomendations would be different based on that.

BeerCan said:
Are you going to be using the PC as a server or a player? I think the recomendations would be different based on that.

As a player - guess I used the wrong terminology there!

Mark

I have WMC on one of my PCs and I really like the setup. It may not have as much flexibility as Meedio, but it does have a fairly active forum for people that are interested in adding apps (http://thegreenbutton.com/). Personally, I just wanted something easy to use in the living room and a WMC fit the bill.

Here is my review of the Sony Vaio that I recently purchased. I am sure it is more than you need to know, but you can get an idea of how the WMC program works.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. Jimmy - that was amazing - truly inspired. I love when a project takes shape like that. It's a drag though - Meedio sold out to Yahoo, and the Meedio program is no longer available for download! There was no indication on the site as to what Yahoo will do with it either. Too bad - it looks seriously cool.

Mark

That is seriously bad news about Meedio. I'm in the middle of my own music server build, and was planning on running Meedio based on Jimmy Neutron's experience and endorsement. Now what?

Theo, I have the last build on file. I can transfer it to you if you like. It's fully functional and works like a charm. Also, the Meedio forum section is still up and running and very active shuld you have any questions.

Jimmy

Theo, I'm gonna set up a download link on my website. It will be ready to download tomorrow. It's a pretty big 45 meg file, so I hope you have broadband.

Jimmy

Seagate

Checkout the word on Seagate drives. Big drives, good reputation, and best of all a five year warranty. I have six Seagate drives and have had no trouble with any of them. Rock solid.

Meedio final build download

ALright guys. I have finished uploading the latest and last build of MEEDIO front end onto my website, and it's now ready for anyone to download. This is a free and completely legal download. There is no trial key or registration needed. Go to my website: http://www.jimmyneutron.org/ and follow the MEDIA SERVER link. Then you can click the download link for MEEDIO. It's 22 megs in size so I hope ya'll have a broadband connection. :boring: . Also, if anyone wants themes and add-ins for their MEEDIO front end for customization I will be adding a whole bunch of them for download as well on my website. If anyone wants to visit the MEEDIO support forum for questions and downloads you can go here: http://www.meedio.com/forum/ .

Enjoy!! Jimmy

**hijack**

Very nice website Jimmy.
I was poking around and was impressed with the ARK. Very nice. I wish I had one ounce of your creativity. Nice job. :yes:

Getting very close..... I got a great deal on a Silverstone LC11 case, Asus MB, P4 2.8G with 512Meg, and 160MB hard drive. The silverstone case has two very quiet fans, at 21db noise output. This should be inaudible with music playing.

I looked at my Tivo history, and so far I've spent $500 on subscription cost!!!! Ouch!!! Thus, my music server will be kicked up a notch to take on video duties. I have a Pioneer DVD / CD burner on order. From what I've read, these are pretty quiet running drives. Also, there is a utility that can slow the drive down to single speed so you don't end up with the jet engine sound on startup. I've also ordered a Powercolor 550 tv tuner, which supposedly has an outstanding picture.

We'll see how this all works out. I'll post some pictures next week, after I get it all assembled.

Simple but elegant

iTunes on a dedicated external drive, a wireless router, an Apple Airport Express, a digital cable of your choice, either toslink or coax and a Receiver/Preamp and you are ready to go.

You probably already have the router and the receiver so your total cash outlay will be in the neighborhood of $300-$500 (depending on size of dedicated hard drive to contain your music...)

Back
Top Bottom