Altec 890b vs 890c...We Have a Winner

ivan100000

Hello--

There have been a few posts over the years--albeit many of them put forward by me--soliciting confirmation that the Altec 890b is a significant upgrade over the 890c. I've had a pair of the 890c for 15 years, and though I don't consider myself an audiophile, I've always loved the "3D" sound of the 890c.

It seems that every pair of the 890b that's passed through eBay over last decade or so that I've been monitoring them has managed to mention in one way or another, "don't be confusing these with the later 890c and their (insert negative word here) outsourced japanese horn." I'd just taken it as the gospel that the 890b is the Holy Grail of horn-equipped, bookshelf-sized Altec speakers.

For as much as I love the 890c, I had been so anxious to audition a pair of the 890b that would be even more aurally exciting. After having been outbid a dozen times or so on every original pair of 890b that's presented itself on eBay since @2007, I finally "won" a pair last summer. At long last...a pair of Altec 890b with the vaunted 3000G tweeters that were all manufactured a few miles from my birthplace and a few weeks from my birthdate were finally coming home to papa.

A funny thing happened, however, on the way to aural bliss.

As I mentioned a few paragraphs back, I'm pretty much lo-fi, and I'm not good with adjectives to describe sound colorations. The 890c sound better. They involve me in the music, whereas the 890b do not. Perhaps it's the fact that the Altec engineers got it right with the 406-8Y woofer in the latter model--with its 3" VC, as opposed to the 2" VC in the 890b model's 406z--or perhaps the horn in the 890c isn't so crappy after all. (I tracked down a Heppner employee from the 1960s/70s who confirmed that the "mystery horn" in the 890c is a Heppner, made in Chicago.)

I've tried and tried to justify the 890b over the 890c this past year, but after running them with three different systems, the 890c was the clear winner. Combined with all the warnings about the fragile 3000G and how there's one guy in the whole world who can repair them for $160 per tweeter/1-year wait, I sold the pair of 890b on eBay last month. I will say that the simple grille on the 890b is cooler than the dated-looking plastic grille on the 890c, but with that small caveat, I recommend the 890c to anyone who's in the market for old Altec speakers but doesn't have the space (or the bankroll) for a pair of VOTT.

IMAGE_00578.jpg

I've always thought the 890 Bolero's were one cool-looking speaker (Did you have them on their sides or standing upright? They seem to scream side-placement, so I thought perhaps it was intended by the designer... I'll bet they like quite a bit of height as well).

Are those 8" woofers or 10's? I can't remember, but the picture makes me think 8".

Thanks for the comparison. This sort of thing comes in real handy down the road.

Last edited:
Congrats Ivan, i'm glad you were finally able hear the 890B's for yourself. As you and i discussed previously, there is magic in the 3 inch Altec motor. Just like the rest of the good Altecs, what they do well they do so extremely well.................

Congrats Ivan, i'm glad you were finally able hear the 890B's for yourself. As you and i discussed previously, there is magic in the 3 inch Altec motor. Just like the rest of the good Altecs, what they do well they do so extremely well.................

Would you describe the 890C (or 890b) as having a similar sound-signature as the Valencia 846b (or the Valencias in general)?

Would you describe the 890C (or 890b) as having a similar sound-signature as the Valencia 846b (or the Valencias in general)?
In the bass and lower midrange yes. The bass isn't as powerful, but it extends well, it's full, and has the dynamic, lifelike, articulate "Altec" sound.

In the bass and lower midrange yes. The bass isn't as powerful, but it extends well, it's full, and has the dynamic, lifelike, articulate "Altec" sound.

Probably in the same way that the original W60 has a less-powerful version of the W90 sound (with a bit lighter bass-signature). I imagine the 890's horn is probably not able to pull out the same level of performance as the one on the Valencia, but I wasn't sure if they had the same sound-signature.

I imagine the 890's horn is probably not able to pull out the same level of performance as the one on the Valencia, but I wasn't sure if they had the same sound-signature.
it can't do the dynamic snap, but the high XO combined with the small/light woofer cone allow them to provide very good overall dynamic presentation, and the horn has a smoother roll-off than the 806/811 so the top end have perceivably better extension.

The 890C has a lot of the characteristics of a good big speaker in a package that fits on a shelf. They're impressive, and hard to walk away from on good source gear. They're the opposite of fatiguing, they're engaging.

it can't do the dynamic snap, but the high XO combined with the small/light woofer cone allow them to provide very good overall dynamic presentation, and the horn has a smoother roll-off than the 806/811 so the top end have perceivably better extension.

The 890C has a lot of the characteristics of a good big speaker in a package that fits on a shelf. They're impressive, and hard to walk away from on good source gear. They're the opposite of fatiguing, they're engaging.

Yeah, I really like the '60's Altec models. I'd like to get some of that Valencia-charm in a slightly-smaller cab (The only way I could keep the Valencias is if I got rid of the W90's, and well, you know... ).

You mentioned dynamic-snap. In comparison to my W90's, my W60's will start to get the upper-bass snap like the bigger ones have, but you have to give them a little volume, and then that upper-bass gets fatter and fatter and eventually develops that W90-like sound. It can't do it at a whisper, but I'm still talking reasonable levels (and the side-placement is also key). If the 890c's can do that, then maybe they'd be a good pair of "starter Altecs".

Anyway, just dreaming out loud...

They seem to scream side-placement

Hello G-T and Bowtie--

Definitely right about the side-placement both in terms of sound & aesthetics. Unfortunately, my bookshelves aren't quite wide enough to accommodate them as such, so I have to live with them standing upright.

The 890c is greatly undervalued in my opinion, as one can pick up a pair for under $300 on eBay. The secret seems to be out on the 406-8Y, though, as those sometimes command nearly as much as a complete pair of 890c speakers do.

"Engaging"...perfect word to describe the 890c.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom