1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Altec phone home ?

Discussion in 'AK New Format' started by jeff's eight, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Joe Roberts

Joe Roberts Agent Provocateur Subscriber

They show up. Saw three mint Lafayettes for $200 shipped on ebay about a week ago and I'm not even looking. Almost bought them but WTF I have enough hoarded junk.

Just because you can't run out and buy something right now doesn't mean that they don't exist. This was a fairly obscure item from long long ago. Unrealistic to expect you could find them like they are listed on Amazon.

I have had saved searches on ebay running for years without hits, like for a second Altec 600ohm RIAA filter module. Now, that thing is hard to get.

I think it is safe to blame that guy Joseph Esmilla of JE Labs fame for making this Pioneer full range unit unavailable.:biggrin:

BTW, the 6.5", PIM-16A?, is said to be even better, or at least that is the word in the Korean scene where these were quite popular some years back. Now that Korea is a wealthy country, they buy Altec 755As for $2000 each instead.

I sent a scan of the Pioneer paperwork on this speaker line to HiFi Engine, so you can learn more there.

Altec is insanely popular in Asia and Europe and now it is really picking up steam here. Formerly extremely common, I expect good Altec parts to dry up over the next decade, but so many were installed, they will trickle out long after I have left this planet.

asilker and opa1 like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Now you tell me...

3. mhardy6647

4. Joe Roberts

Nobody ever asked. I don't guarantee it to be true but three guys who knew the drivers seemed to agree on this point.

I have a pr of PIM-6 but never tried them out. I'd bet they are quite good for nearfield listening of solo lute music and the like.

5. mhardy6647

... and here I'm a solo lute music maniac!

:)

asilker likes this.
  6. BillWojo

BillWojo AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have no problem with the pro Altec guys mingling with the hobbyist who are trying to learn something. Over at the AUB I read all the threads, never know when something new will come up.
    Heck, when I got into Altecs not that long ago I spent a lot of nights reading the AUB forum starting with page 1 and working up to the present, skipping the questions that are commonly asked by the new folks. I forget most of it but I know where to find the info if I need it.
    A lot of times there are 2 or 3 post on Altecs in the speaker forum on any given day, I would love to see an Altec specific forum.
    As far as that JBL forum, they have convinced me to never own any JBL gear. Maybe to flip, but that is about it. I have never been treated so rudely on a forum in my life. It's supposed to be a joint Altec/JBL forum, maybe the members hate having to be shared with a company that built the best sound stages for decades. Last time I posted anything on there I was belittled with links to stupid tiny Altec speakers, the kind you use with a cell phone. JBL seems to be doing quite a bit of marketing in that arena as well these days. Seems a lot of those JBL guys have quite a few insecurities.
    Rant off.
    I would support an Altec forum on here and it seems that there is a core of Altec members that would to.

BillWojo

hjames likes this.

7. opa1

opa1 Tenacious

You never run out of links! :) Thanks! :)
    I put out searches for the PIM-8's/Lafayettes. . Maybe I'll find some to try. I know I'm not going to find 755a's.

8. bobabode

bobabode AK Subscriber Subscriber

Me, seventh or is it eighth? (grin)

9. asilker

asilker Bible Reader Subscriber

Bring it, baby.

10. mhardy6647

all kinds of ephemera around these parts...

[​IMG]Pioneer LRE biflexes by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

(now, you try finding a single PIM-8/SK-98 for a reasonable sum... ;))

setup1 likes this.
  11. setup1

setup1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I got a pair of PIM-6s at a thrift store in the 90s and they had more “snap” (term coined by you) than the similar sized Diatone PM610. I kept those because my friends wanted a bit more bass which the PIM8/SK98 delivered.

12. setup1

BTW, anyone here BIN the single SK98 I just saw a few minutes ago? It’s gone.

opa1 likes this.
  13. opa1

opa1 Tenacious

Yes! :)

14. setup1

Congrats!:beerchug:

15. Joe Roberts

Damn, I should list my extras now that I have the market all fired up!:rockon:

Ahhh...there's nothing like groupthink backed up with a dimwitted, self-serving conception of "Science" to create a welcoming kumbaya sort of community spirit.

But, everybody thinks THEY are the coolest and can find others of similar mind to form an exclusive mini klan. The internet just makes it easier.

In my Asian WE gang circles, saying "He likes JBL" means your taste is entirely dubious, favoring brash presentation and bad highs, car audio for the home. Vintage Tannoy means you like slow, boring sound, maybe understandable if you are 83 years old. Advocating RCA theater gear means you are basically "retarded." (exact non-PC quote, translated from Korean).

Altec is perfectly acceptable and perhaps the next best thing if you can't own Western.

As an anthropologist, I recognize that this set of preconceptions is more about group bonding than ranking brands in sound quality, but that doesn't mean that it is not generally true! :biggrin:

16. opa1

opa1 Tenacious

I do need one more!:)

17. mhardy6647

Yeah -- we can read you like a book, Roberts!

;)

PS I did/do science for a day job -- I like to get all right-brained when it comes to hifi...

opa1 likes this.
  18. Joe Roberts

opa1,

TIP: Be sure to tell the seller to cover the cone with stiff cardboard or other rigid substance. Two out of three single PIM8s that I bought on ebay were destroyed in shipping. Those cones are fragile as heck.

opa1 likes this.
  19. mhardy6647

Ever see what happened to Redboy's Altec scroe some years back? :(

upload_2017-12-11_12-1-53.png

asilker likes this.
  20. opa1

opa1 Tenacious

I had this happen too. Ruined a pair of vintage Zeniths. :(