Altec Valencia = Heathkit AS-101

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was playing some Zepp and felt the speakers could use fuller top end ... (they're still 2 ways)
So I ordered some 1 mfd caps and 8 ohm Lpads so I can set the slots up as supplemental tweeters -
I'll dial them in a bit on top and see how they fit the sound.
If the parts get here for the weekend - I'll let you know!
(also presuming the slots work fine - I need a high-pass circuit to test them)

Going to build the HighPass leg of the Nelson Pass (JBL) L300 design below as a simplified circuit -
I can expand it later as needed.

L300-NelsonPass.jpg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    70.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Lotsa popcorn!!

Was looking for a small wooden box to mount the super tweeter in and ran across these for under $10 at Michaels!
I already have some nice Minwax stains and with a urethan finish - should be perfect!
Doesn't need any acoustic properties - its pretty much just a placeholder to protect the connections and the high-pass cap. Bore a hole on the back for the slot, mount Lpad and terminal cup on the other end.

Slot-box.jpg

Last edited:
Dang recipe boxes are too small for the JBL 2405 slots!
Gotta go back to Michael's and get bigger boxes!

But ... just a quick test with the slot bridged across the Heath input terminals -
shows the upper freqs opening up - JUST what I want.

The caps and Lpad (to do it right) are due from Madisound later this week.

SlotTest-V_6742.jpg

Last edited:
I have a couple pair of these still.

Tweeters1.jpg

Pretty cool, but I really want something like a box or cabinet I can hide the crossover in,
and maybe mount a Banana terminal block on the back. But Thanks!

I have a couple pair of these still.

Last edited:
How about a longer, rectangular box? It might look more integrated into the design than a smaller box. Anyway, I like the idea of the slot tweeter. Are you still going to hook up the bass energizer? If I recall it reduces the treble and mids somewhat to give emphasis to the bass.

I was following a restoration thread elsewhere, and I thought those slots might be a good addition. Here's his finished Valencias-

I tound a pair of larger boxes at Michaels, drilled and dry-fitted one of the 2405 slots tweeters into it.
Even room for an Lpad on the top front, and a 5-way terminal cup on the back!|
Over the weekend the crossover cap and Lpad should arrive, I can finish drilling the boxes,
then stain them (Golden Pecan? Cherry?) coat with Urethane, reassemble -
and dial them into use!

SlotBox_6745.jpg

Last edited:
Slot boxes done for my Heath "Valencias" project. Built a simple High Pass lifted from Nelson Pass's L300 design to feed the added JBL 2405 supertweeters.
1 mfd cap on the input, and an 8 ohm LPad to set levels - doesn't take much.
Next task is to pull them apart, stain the box, & urethane coat - make them look pretty!

SlotBoxes_6749.jpg

Last edited:
Emptied the boxes and stained them with 1 coat of minwax Colonial Maple,
then a few hours later, a coat of Cherry, and I'll let them dry overnight.
I'll apply Urethane finish before I head to the Farmers market and run errands ...

SlotBoxes-Stained_6750.jpg

1st morning task - paint them with urethane clear coat!
Now, off to the Farmer's Market!

SlotBoxes-Urethane_6751.jpg

I bought a 5 pack of Absolute Black granite tiles in 12 x 12 size to do the backs and bottoms of the cabinets with a constraint layer and have this 1 left -
I was going to buy 1 more 12 x 12 tile to have something to set under the slot boxes until I find larger pieces, but I just saw
Home Depot also sells them in an 18 x 18 size for $61/box of 4, and the larger tiles will just about cover the tops of the cabinets and may be all I really need there.
Its exactly the color I want, and certainly beats chasing scraps (in the last month I called a bunch of local shops, and no one responded back).
The tile shown here is a 12 x 12 granite - Absolute Black, and the yardsticks show what 18 x 18 would cover ...
I just bought a 5pack online and they'll ship to my local store - $65 with tax! Perfect
So I'd have 2 tiles for the Heaths - and 3 for other projects - nice!

I already found out that wiping the cut edges with Howard's Feed'n'wax is "almost" as good as polishing the edges -
or I can try buffing the edges with Simichrome and a polishing wheel!
I'll try with the spare 12 x 12 I already have and see how that works!
So - that solves THAT problem!
And the Heaths are nearly done!

AB-Granite-12x12_6753.jpg

Home depot run made for 2nd 12x12 tile for now and brass washers for the box fascia.
As long as I was there anyway, Emma asked me to grab some mulch -
So - I grabbed 15 bags of Cedar (blend) mulch for yard work once it cools a bit
(The truck folks are amazed when I keep tossing bags into the Fit ... and 34mpg too!)

So, reassembled the now dry boxes, rough set the Lpad at 50%, time for music and fun for the rest of the weekend!

Robbie Robertson's 1st album on the system - been playing in my head all week!

Ready for a nice soaking after the mulch toss!

SlotBox-zoomed_6758.jpg
SlotBoxes-Done_6755.jpg

Fit-15Mulch_6754.jpg

Last edited:
After extended listening this weekend - (Including Furtwangler's 1954 recording of Beethoven's 9th, Genesis: Seconds Out, Gordon Lightfoot, and MUCH else)
I have fine tuned the slots to the 9:00 positions - and decided you just need a hair of sizzle!

Had a little time this evening, so I cut rectangular openings in the back of the "slot-boxes" and installed a banana terminal cup -
then made up dual banana jack jumper cables with the remaining silver plated teflon hookup wire.
Then spent an hour just listening to all kinds of stuff, from early Allman Brothers (its been years since I played "Beginnings"),
Bryan Ferry, Hendrix at the Fillmore, bunch of other stuff - all quite nice.

Still waiting for the 18 x 18 tiles from Home Depot, etc), but otherwise -
I think I'm real close to done with the Heaths!

Slot-box-RearCups_6766.jpg

They just emailed - package just arrived at Home Depot - but when I got there it was 2 boxes!!
18 x 18 tiles are so heavy they broke it down into 2 boxes and foam packed them!
SO, I laid them on their back, took a roll of Gorilla Glue (Duct) Tape, and pulled it tight across the 18" wide tile.
I cut along the edge of the tile, then laid another strip beside it, until the whole back of the tile had a layer of the thick Gorilla Tape.
Then I picked them up, flipped them over, and put them on top of the speakers. The tiles are now
resting on the wood top of the cabinets, with the Constraint layer attached to the tile.

And finally, wiped the edges with Howard's Orange Oil - and set the tweeter into a measure place - centered,
with the front of the nose 8 1/2 from the back of the cabinet.
A really neat approach, and the slightly glittery mica-flect polished granite tops look real nice!

EDIT - 6/4 I checked the other box - there were two remaining 2 tiles in there -
so - revision - I paid $65 for 4 tiles - 9 square foot total. Still reasonable to me!

18square-TopTiles_6771.jpg
18square-WIDE_6772.jpg

Last edited:
Had a listening party a couple weeks back and the guys determined the left speaker was quieter than the right one - test was playing some MONO Beach boys - swapped wires, swapped speakers,
and confirmed the difference Of course I've been busy since then and today I met up with the guys (and a few others) at the Capital AudioFest - but after 2 hours of fancy speakers,
I was bored and wanted to get home and fix my own speakers.

Figured I'd start by getting rid of the crappy screw down terminals (Big old knurled nuts like an old dry cell!) on the back of the crossovers and install a dual-width pair of 5 way banana jacks.
You can see the 60s era Heath terminals are wider that a standard dual banana pair. I had some bridged plastic nut dual bananas, but they looked too cheap.
Fortunately, I have a some gold ones from some fancy 9 jack panels my friend Vollmer gave me last spring, so I cleaned off the top of 1 cabinet, removed the granite, layed it on its face,
pulled the 20 screws holding the back on, pulled the old terminal screws, drilled a new hole to get the standard dual banana width, and installed the jacks.
Had to redo the wiring slightly from one of the old 3 tang barrier strips, but overall, the connector was improved, Tested it, seemed to work fine, so I reassembled everything,
then pulled the second cabinet down and did likewise on it. Played the beach Boys Mono tracks and - seems like they play at the same volume now ...
The old screws were a bit tarnished, so maybe that was it ...

Now I need to find a tube of silicon and add a dab of that to fill the extra holes left from the old screws.

I did not want to disturb the original connectors when I first rebuilt the speakers, but when I realized the old connectors sacrificed functionality,
they had to GO! New ones look better too!

Heath-Banana-internal.jpg Heath-Banana-external.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Heather, I missed the show yesterday as I had my girls.
Now I have been to a couple of audio dealers but never to an audio show like the Capital Audio Fest. I have always walked away unimpressed at the latest speaker offerings much preferring my Altec's. But I have never heard any of the truly high end gear, not that it matters, I could never afford it anyway. I guess what I want to know is how do you feel about your Altec's at this point. I know I'm still delighted with my setup.
As far as your back panel mods go, I used external crossovers and removed the stock crossovers. Instead of the stock crossovers I used simple flat fiberglass plates and mounted terminal blocks for my hookups. The old fashioned barrier type terminal strips that most folks want to get rid of. Thing is, when used with a good crimp type connector it provides a gas tight seal and you have none of the associated problems that you have with banana connections. Even my Mac tube amp uses the terminal strips.
Did you get a chance to see Joe?

BillWojo

The old fashioned barrier type terminal strips that most folks want to get rid of. Thing is, when used with a good crimp type connector it provides a gas tight seal and you have none of the associated problems that you have with banana connections. Even my Mac tube amp uses the terminal strips.
Amen!

Quoted for truth and emphasis.

I use a crimp connector on the barrier strip of my Valencia's as well.
Less worries that way when I move them back into the corners of my room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom